If someone ask you, where are you from ?

I tell them where I live now. I've lived here most of my adult life and this is my home.
Exactly this, which will then sometimes lead to the question “Born and raised?” because many residents here aren’t.

I usually say where I was born and raised (NoVa), then where I live now (about 50 miles away from where I grew up), but that I spent 5 years living in Texas.

Even though I live in WV, I'm like a mile from the VA border. I work and spend almost all my time in VA, so I feel like I live there more. When people not from the immediate area ask where I live now, I usually say near the biggest town near me, which is in VA, even though it's a different state.

It depends on who’s asking. I live pretty close to the places where I was born and grew up. Technically, they’re all different cities but it’s the same general area.

If someone non-local is asking, I usually go with the closest big city (which is where I was born). It’s the same general “metro area” that I live in now, but nobody outside our area has ever heard of my city.

If someone local is asking, then I’ll say where I live now.

I usually tell them where I live now since I've lived here 5 years now. On occasion I'll be able to tell they are asking about where I lived before and I tell them Minneapolis. Usually after my kids play duck, duck, gray duck or ask someone where the bubbler is.

I had a problem with this question when I was young. I lived in a Levittown house, the Hicksville water district, the town of Hempstead, the East Meadow school district, Westbury address, Nassau County, on Long Island, in NY state. Now I just say south of Baltimore in Glen Burnie.

I think it depends. My grandma likes to ask people who seem to be from outside the US where their family is from because she's always interested in names, cultures and the like. So someone European saying they're from Kansas doesn't really achieve the goal of the conversation.

On the other hand, if I'm down in Disney and curious where in the country someone is vacationing from, saying they're from Kansas is perfect.

If someone in my current town asks where I'm from, I tell where I was born/grew up. If someone random like on vacation or something asks where I'm from, I tell them where I currently live.

It's all the same for me. I live 2 miles from my childhood home and 5 miles from my parents' current house where we moved when I was 11. I usually just give the state or western Mass, depending on who's asking.

Born in Cleveland, lived in NE Ohio first 23 years of my life. Lived in Pittsburgh another 35 years, moved to N. Virginia. I'm FROM Cleveland, if VA locals want to know where I moved from it's Pittsburgh, if away on a trip somewhere, we're from VA. But I will always be from Cleveland!

What do you tell them, the place you were born, the place you grew up or the place where you live now ?

I give my place of birth but its the same as the place I grew up

LOL, the city(Madison,WI) I was born in, I never lived in. I went from the hospital to a car because my dad had just graduated from UWMadison. and my parents were moving back "home. Weird story, I know.
I would say the town I lived in most my life and went to school K-12. I live 5 minutes outside the city limits, same difference to me.

I agree that it depends on the situation, but usually I say where I grew up. Where I was born and where I grew up are very different places culturally and geographically.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter