If this has already been discussed, excuse me but...

Tuffcookie

Enjoys an early hour of peace. Is a smart cookie.
I'm a single mom. Has anyone ever gone camping with one of those truck-campers. I went to the Lance web site and got their brochure in the mail. I don't think I could ever handle a full size RV on the road or manuver it once I got to the camp grounds by myself. Some of the truck campers I'm looking at have slide outs. Can a single girl, like myself, handle a truck camper? Also, in your humble opinion, what is the best make, model of truck to get if want to put a camper on the back? I have this dream of touring the country when I retire and this would be the way to go!

TC:cool:

It depends on how much space you're willing to sacrifice, and how claustrophobic you are!!! We have a Class C Shasta Travelmaster which is 31 feet long, and have no trouble handling it. (family of three) Class C (looks like a truck on the front) RV's are very easy to handle, and even the shorter models have slideouts to maximize your space. Lots of room for storage, too. Don't underestimate your ability to handle an RV, you'll do fine. We even tow my car with ours :smooth:

Good luck whatever you decide ;)

You will need a heavy duty truck for a truck camper, a dually model would be the preference for stability, such as a Chevy 3500 or Ford F-350, Lance is top of the line in truck campers. as mentioned earlier towing a trailer or driving a Motorhome are not as bad as you may think.

I don't know about anyone else, but when we go camping we don't hang out in our camper, we're out doing things. Our family has a Lance slide-on and we love it. It's versatile, fits in a reg. parking spot, easy to move around, easy to load and unload, etc.. Our two teenage kids love taking it to the beach.
If your interested in a Lance your going to love it
We're taking our's to Disney in April. Can't wait. It will be our first time at FW

I have a Lance 11 1/2 foot pickup camper & absolutely love it!!! I would suggest if you are getting more than an 8 foot long camper (or one that will extend beyond the bed of your truck) you would want a dually pickup for it to ride on, as they are tough going in the high winds. I have mine on a 2001 Dodge 3500. It's a dually & it would have deffinately blown over when I had to drive home in it in 70mph winds one night! But the dually handled it! As for space it's very roomy & will sleep 6 if need be. It has a queen-sized bed in the loft & the dinette opens into a double bed. Plus if you choose to use the upper cabinets over the dinette you can as a double bed also. If you do this I suggest reinforcing it with a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood so the person sleeping up there doesn't fall thru the cabinet doors! This size camper also has a dry bath in it...in other words the toilet is totally separate from the shower so the entire bathroom doesn't get wet.Years ago we had a different brand camper almost the same size as this one & when the kids were small we would bring a tent for them to "camp" in so we could have our privacy & quiet. But I would deffinately keep my truck camper over a pull behind. DH almost never drives & I can also pull our horse trailer with it on the truck if we have to.. also cheaper thru tolls! Oh yeah! it takes all of 5 minutes to hook up & unhook & take off! Couple of suggestions if you do go for one...get the generator! Comes in handy! Get the electric jacks! You'll be able to put the camper on & take it off all by yourself. If you get the satellite dish...ask them to install it over the bathroom as they ALWAYS make your roof leak it seems! Then get up there yourself & go around everywhere it could leak & seal it with "liquid nails". Works wonders! Well that's my humble opinion for what it's worth...lol
Good luck!!!

:wave:

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate hearing from people that have truck campers. There are so many things to consider! If I go with a truck camper, when the vehicle I use it on wears out, I can always put the camper on a new vehicle. Storage costs, a camper truck will probably fit in a standard garage vs an RV. Fuel economy would be better. Insurance for truck campers is cheaper and no annual license is required. For a single gal who wants to travel and see the country I'm really leaning toward a truck camper.

TC:cool:

Have you considered a pop-up? They are really easy to tow and pretty affordable too. I've always thought if we had a pop-up, I could take the kids camping when DH can't make it. Just a thought.......

I would second the thought about a pop up. Check out my web site below for pop up ideas.

As to the truck camper, I don't think you can get it in a standard garage due to the height. Pop ups on the other hand go in the garage easily.

You can check out the message board on the Pop Up Times website . many of the female members there report camping alone with no problems in their pop up.

Good luck with what ever you choose ºOº :smooth:

I leave my camper outside year-round. I put anchors into the ground & use the tie down chains to secure it. We have had 80 mph winds here with it secured like that & no problems. You can get form fitting covers for them, but don't get one of those if you live in a high wind area as they tend to ruin the finish of the camper. I looked at the pop ups too....if you like to camp in the colder months in winter weather i would go for the truck camper as they are a lot more fuel efficient to heat & much warmer. (Solid sides & all that) Good luck to you & happy camping!

:wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter