• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If you aren’t a soccer fan but find you enjoy the sport after the 2022 FIFA World Cup, will you give your local team a chance in 2023?

After the 2022 FIFA World Cup, will you give your local team a chance in 2023?

• Yes

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • We will see

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • If my family wants to

• Never

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • If the USMNT or CanMNT win the WC

• Other

• Total voters

Buzz Rules

To Infinity and Beyond
If you aren’t a soccer fan but find you enjoy the sport after the 2022 FIFA World Cup, will you give your local team a chance in 2023?

I'm already a huge soccer fan but we went to The Athletic's last home game this past weekend and are already talking about how we want to make it to more games next season.

I didn't answer, because we are already fans. We've had memberships in our local pre-professional club (AFC Ann Arbor) for several years now. It's truly a local community club, and we're thrilled to be supporters. I'm a frequent flyer for both the men's and women's sides at U. Michigan as well.

I'm already a huge soccer fan but we went to The Athletic's last home game this past weekend and are already talking about how we want to make it to more games next season.
I didn't answer, because we are already fans. We've had memberships in our local pre-professional club (AFC Ann Arbor) for several years now. It's truly a local community club, and we're thrilled to be supporters. I'm a frequent flyer for both the men's and women's sides at U. Michigan as well.
:thumbsup2

Other: I won't be watching the WC, and I won't give my local soccer team another chance in 2023. But I love the various diving memes that come out.

Buzz, if I’m not a fan why would I even watch the World Cup?:confused3
Plenty of non soccer fans watch because team USA is playing. It’s watched by 5 billion people and it’s bigger than the Olympics. Oh, and there are funny commercials of Super Bowl quality for a month. Plus celebrities do special things during the event. MLS studies how many more people start to watch their league after a World Cup. This is expected to be the biggest jump ever due to the event’s unusual schedule during the holidays. It’s also one of the only times ESPN and Fox actually take the sport seriously. Most people judge the sport based on what they were exposed to growing up. So MLS and our minor leagues hope by casuals being wowed by the best of the world, people will give their local teams a chance. Soccer is a community driven sport. I hope this explanation helps.

Examples:

Last edited:
I enjoy the World Cup but have no interest in MLS
No judgments. Orlando SC is a fun experience though if you haven’t given it a chance yet. The Apple TV deal for 2023 and the Leagues Cup next summer should help increase the quality overall of the players if that’s a reason you don’t enjoy the league. It’s fine either way. :-)

I like soccer, played it when I was younger, and attended all of my daughter's town league games by standing on the sidelines watching (I could never sit still during a game). If I had more time, I would go to the local minor league games, but it is really not a top priority for me. I just can't get into watching soccer on t.v. So much about how the game is played gets lost from that bird's eye view camera position. They're getting better at showing more up-close play where you can see more of the footwork and competing for the ball, but it is hard to follow the progression of the play when they jump around to multiple camera angles.

I may watch a few world cup games on TV but the only professional sporting event I attend is the local tennis tournament. Team sports don't interest me that much any more.

I like soccer, played it when I was younger, and attended all of my daughter's town league games by standing on the sidelines watching (I could never sit still during a game). If I had more time, I would go to the local minor league games, but it is really not a top priority for me. I just can't get into watching soccer on t.v. So much about how the game is played gets lost from that bird's eye view camera position. They're getting better at showing more up-close play where you can see more of the footwork and competing for the ball, but it is hard to follow the progression of the play when they jump around to multiple camera angles.
FIFA and MLS are fixing the camera angles and picture quality this year. Just an FYI.

I may watch a few world cup games on TV but the only professional sporting event I attend is the local tennis tournament. Team sports don't interest me that much any more.
Totally fair. This question is more of “hey that WC event looks fun, is there something near me that has a similar atmosphere?”. I’m curious if there will be shift of those who don’t follow any soccer at all will say “hey I might reconsider my initial thoughts on the sport”. I’m not a soccer activist. It’s just a fact that the sport is growing every year and more so after a WC. So I made this thread to see what percentage of the Dis may fall into that category.

I have noticed that recently - it is improving but some of the continuity is still missing.
Apple is putting all MLS games next season in 1080 HD and MLS is taking over production from ESPN, Fox, and Univision. It should look like NFL quality next season.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter