If you could only fly out the morning of the cruise...

kkayluvsdis

DIS Veteran
Would you chance it?!!

We're still debating a last minute anniversary cruise for just my husband and I but the only way we can make the timing work would be to fly into MCO the morning of the cruise. There is a direct flight that is scheduled to land at 7AM so we'd aim for that one. This, of course, is not my first choice, as being down there the night before would obviously be preferable. There are multiple other flights that are schedule for throughout the day so we'd have a little wiggle room if for some reason that first flight of the morning didn't happen.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks,
Kelly

If you really have no another choice ( coming in night before) and you want to go, then you have to risk it. Many arrive the day of and have no issues. I personally would be so exhausted as I assume you have some red eye if you land at 7am.

We've done it for 2 of our cruises and didn't have problems. The key is getting the first direct flight and the time of season.

But now we like to fly in the day/night before just in case there are any hiccups.

It'd make me nervous, but on a flight getting in that early, with multiple other flights coming in after...I think you'll be fine. As has been pointed out, the risk is bigger if you're flying in the dead of winter from somewhere that gets a lot of snow, but generally a very early flight like that should have less chance of delay, and you've done good by checking to see if there are later flights you can get bumped to. And, of course, echoing all the advice to get insurance.

Is it a direct flight or do you have to make a connection?

I checked your profile and it looks like you'd fly out of CLT? If that's the case, you're going from one large airport to another large airport, nonstop. I'd go for it. Plan on the EARLIEST flight out and know you have options. Bottom line, you need to be on the ship by 2:30 I believe. My personal opinion is that it's totally worth the risk. It's not like you're flying from Casper, Wyoming where you have one flight a day with 2 other connections. Charlotte to Orlando is a quick, easy flight. Book it, but get insurance just to prepare for the worst.

I would probably take the chance since the arrival time is so early. Is there another flight scheduled for a later arrival that you could take (and still make the ship) if something goes wrong?

I also agree that you should be trip insurance.

Yes, we have done it before and will probably do it again. The only downfall I find for us is that the first day we are all exhausted from getting up so early. Sometimes with schedules it is unavoidable though so it is either fly in the day of or don’t go. We usually pick fly in day of :)
Good luck with your decision and happy anniversary!

You really can't leave the night before? I know it sucks to book a hotel room just for a few hours but it would give you more chances to arrive on time for your cruise.

It's very risky. Even when weather conditions are perfect, mechanical problems can happen.

Thanks for all the responses. I really do appreciate your honest thoughts and it is helpful to hear of others experiences.

We have a limited time-frame for childcare (my MIL is coming to town and has offered) and it just happens to fall within one of the 4-day Dream Double dip cruises this June. We have recently relocated to NC so for the past few trips down to the Orlando/PC area we have been able to drive. However, my dd has a band concert the night before the cruise that we just cannot miss and there are no late flights out that evening. Hence, the early morning flight possibility....

Trip insurance would be a must for sure...a lot to ponder..

Yes I would go. Just remember the DCL buses if you are using DCL transfer's don't start running until around 9 am. and they usually start boarding the ship around 11:30. Bus ride from MCO to the port in around 45-50 minutes. I would try and adjust my flight around what time you would like to be at the port. Have a Great Anniversary. :) :firefight

I wouldn't because I'd be too nervous...but lots of people arrive on embarkation day.

We spoke to a couple a few years ago who flew in the morning of and arrived at the port just in time and they said they would do it again. I can understand that sometimes people don't have a choice.

Would you chance it?!!

We're still debating a last minute anniversary cruise for just my husband and I but the only way we can make the timing work would be to fly into MCO the morning of the cruise. There is a direct flight that is scheduled to land at 7AM so we'd aim for that one. This, of course, is not my first choice, as being down there the night before would obviously be preferable. There are multiple other flights that are schedule for throughout the day so we'd have a little wiggle room if for some reason that first flight of the morning didn't happen.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks,
Kelly

We have flown in the day of on several occasions and I would do it again. Early morning, direct flight, later options in case of an issue that morning - I would do it.

For me it would depend on the following:
  • Time of year. Much less likely to do this in winter.
  • Where we are flying to/from From my area to FL, sure. There are like 6 flights per day per airline and the first ones arrive at like 9 AM. From my area to Seattle or CA, nope now that is really a risk.

You use the term "direct flight" in airline speak, that is different from "non-stop flight". (Direct flight the aircraft does go from point A to point B but may stop somewhere in between; so if you get on in A, you won't miss flight to B; non-stop is as expected - goes from point A to point B without stopping.) You indicated you are coming from NC and getting in that early, it would seem it is a non-stop flight, not a direct flight. That could be very important difference (but typically more important to someone coming further away where there may be direct but not non-stop flights).

It's been many years since we flew in day of, in fact the last time we did it, we were flying international so it's even more stressful! Here's what I would do: I would make sure I am on the first flight out in the morning (regardless if I have to wait for buses to port once I arrive). At least for the first flight, your equipment should be already at the airport, the crew shouldn't be nearing their max hours, etc. - you minimize the things that might cause a delay. Once that's done, I'd look at plan B (and C). If the flight is delayed, what point do you give up on that flight and ask to be rerouted? Have the information for your back-up flight ready. If something happens to your flight, everyone is going to want to be on the next flight and there just won't be that many seats. They are not going to survey who has the most important reason to be on the next flight. If you are prepared with flight information that make it quick to rebook you, you have a better shot than having the res agent look at your options. (You might make it a part of Plan B to have the phone # for the airline to call in while you are waiting in line. A phone agent may be able to hold your spot on the next flight even if you have to be ticketed at the airport.)

Once you do all of that, the best you can do is hope all goes smoothly and don't let it stress you out. Figure out what the worst case scenario is if you do arrive too late and if you don't want to take the financial risk, buy insurance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter