• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If you could only go once, at what age would you take your kids?

Bim-muv-fab

Earning My Ears
This board is a great place for parents to share their experiences from taking kids to WDW. And many of you have taken your kids several times and at different times in their lives.

So based on your experiences, if you had only one opportunity to go to WDW with your kids between the ages of 0 and 18, at what time in their lives would you go?

Wow, that is a really tough question! We have been going since the kids turned 3 years old (they are now 9 and 7).

We have had a fantasic trip each time, with different highlights for different ages. I think when the kids were younger the whole character experience was much more magical, but now that they are older they are both willing and able to ride ALL the rides, including the roller coasters so that is a lot of fun as well.

I would probably choose when they were 4 and 6. They are still young enough to get a real kick out of Fantasyland and love the character greetings, but they will likely be tall enough to ride some of the bigger rides.

That said, the best time to take a Disney trip is always as soon as possible! LOL! :)

Have fun!

I agree. My kids have been going since the older ones were 2 1/2 and the little one since he was 1, but right around 6 seems perfect. My younger son was 6 when we went this year and he loved everything! He wasn't quite tall enough for the 48" rides but that gives him something to look forward to next year:p

I think most kids are 5 or 6 before they can really enjoy the vast majority of what WDW has to offer. Our best trip was when DS was 6. He was tall enough for everything, and had the stamina to last throughout some very long days.

4 is a wonderful age!!! they don't even question the magic yet!!

You know when the 6 yr old asks if it's really a person in the mickey costume?.....

(Of course the answer is NO!! Mickey is really :) )

You might not get on all the trill rides with a 4 year old, but it is definately the most magical age!!!

I agree with the other posts - 4-6 years. We took our DD 4 years to Disney in March and it was wonderful! In her eyes that REALLY is Cinderella's castle - she wanted to know which window was her room. LOL!

But honestly it all depends on what you want to experience. The older kids can ride the bigger rides, etc. If it is magic and the character experience then the younger kids are absolutely thrilled.

My first time I was 16 and I loved it (and still do!) Any age - isn't that what Walt wanted?!

I am going to give a broad answer here because a lof of it depends on what you want to get done on the trip. But I would deffiently say under 9.

Why would you say under 9? I loved when we took my son at 5, but he doesn't remember much from it. So I guess I have two answers. One, for my enjoyment, I would say 5 is the best age. For the child's enjoyment (and so they can remember it later), I would say 9 or 10.

As an afterthought to my earlier post..................
I'm older than 6 (quite a bit actually;) ) and I still love it!!
Maybe there is something magical no matter how old you are even past childhood.

Why would you say under 9?

Because, as I said it depends on what you want to get done. a 3 you won't be able to go on the "big rides." But much older then 9 and the "magicaliness" is lost, at least until they get past the "age of not believing."

We took DD when she was about 4 1/2. She was able to ride just about everything, she loved the characters, and as previously said she didn't question any of the magic. And I personally think you see Disney totally different when you see it with a child.

Disnee Dad Says............................... The key here is ONE time, so I go with age 9. It's great to bring 4/5 yo., but if you cant go back, as the question implies by the time they are ten they will remember 5% of the trip, and that will probably be swimming!!
Took DD at 7,9 and 11. The second trip she was old enough to remember everything, but still like fantasyland and some toontown. If you want to "make memories", and only get one shot, try for 8 or 9.

My son was 5 1/2 on our 2nd trip and I think this is the perfect age!

He was old enough to ride most things and not get too tired or cranky, but was young enough to still enjoy the characters!

IMHO the best age is when your child is able to handle a day of independent walking (no stroller) through the parks. When they can handle all this walking that also usually means they are not nap-dependant (don't get me wrong, down time is necessary for even adults when at WDW, but little ones who need regularly scheduled naps can make a trip to WDW more difficult for everyone) and can handle a good portion of the available attractions (and appreciate them). Our DS was 6 when he took his first trip to WDW, and it was an incredible experience for all of us. He had some stamina by that age, was still wide-eyed with the fantasy of the place, and did not need constant entertainment or attention from us (i.e., no need to play distraction games with him in lines to get his attention away from the waits). Every family is different, of course, but for us a key was what we, and not just our child, were willing and able to handle as parents. I will admit that the thought of dealing with diapers and naps and strollers at WDW never appealed to me.

My now 11yo DS says 5, because you're old enough to do everything and remember, but young enough that you still "believe."

My now 9yo DD says 9 or 10 because "you have more energy so you can walk around the park, and all the rides are great."

BTW, they've been at 2 & 4, 4 & 6, 5 & 7, 6 & 8, and 8 & 10. (Some of those trips were very short...one was only 2 days.)

We probably won't go again until they are 11 and 13, and their little sister is 5. Unless a miracle happens and we "find" some extra money somewhere. ;)

Edit: Personally, I'd probably go for the younger ages (5 or 6) so that you can change your mind, decide NOT to have it be a once-in-a-childhood thing, and then go back many times while they're still kids!

Our kids will be 4, 8, and 11 on this trip which we think is pretty perfect. The experience changes as they age, though, so I can't in any way suggest going only once. Anyway, the youngest is old enough (although she had a blast at 2) and the oldest is young enough to really be smitten by the magic of Disney. We think this is pretty great time to go, and so do the grandparents who might be joining us just because of that. Seeing WDW through the eyes of a child is a sweet experience.

That is such a hard question! We have been taking our kids since babies, DD first trip 11/2 DS barely 3 months. Each trip is exciting I will say our last trip DD was about 61/2 and it was wonderful. She was tall enough for everything except R&R but she still believed in the magic and loved it all! She understood about waiting, walking, making choices and not being able to do it all. She loved the characters and really interacted with them more this time than any other time. It was just different.
SO if I had one shot and one shot only....7 or 8. Granted some of the magic would be gone or different but still fun. I would be afraid to take a kid in their teens if they haven't been there before and weren't interested. You know when they don't think Disney is...I can even say it but will kewl! I can't even imagine that!:D

We've been 3 times with kids.

1998 dd was 4.5 years old (no ds yet)

2001 dd was 7.5 years old, ds 15 months old

2002 dd 8.5 years old, dd 2.5 years old

All where great trips and great ages!

BUT! If I were to only do ONE trip I would go when the youngest is out of diapers, stroller, car seat and tall enough for Space Mountain. That's more a size thing, than an age thing.

We are going to go again when our youngest is about 4.5 years old. S

We took our DD on a BRB cruise when she was three and did the parks after the cruise. It was such a fun age because everything was magical (and she still fit in a stroller when she got tired).

At age six, we took her back and it was still magical.

Now this year, we have our DD (8 years) and also our new addition, DS (1 year) to take to the parks. I am so looking forward to it because I am such a Disney nut, and can't wait to see my DS's face when he gets a first look at Playhouse Disney. He loves Bear and Rolie Polie Olie. Our DD will still have a great time at her age and is looking forward to doing the new character breakfast in Norway.

Actually, I think any age is perfect!!! (but it is so fun to watch the little one's faces the first time!!!):) :cool: :earsgirl: :p

This is probably the most difficult question to answer with one age. We have visited WDW several times with children's ages varying fron 1 year to 25 years. I don't think the magic ever goes away. With this in mind the answer could be any age, but if I had to choose an age for the kids to remember it would be 9-10. they are young enough to enjoy Dumbo, but can have fun on the "big" rides too. If you take younger kids I think you as a perent will enjoy watching your children more, but they probably won't remember as much. I truly hope that you would try to plan a second trip at some time so that you all could enjoy the magic again, but if only one trip is possible, I guess you need to take much into consideration. Val

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter