• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If you could only go once, at what age would you take your kids?

If I HAD to choose, it would be over 5 years old and under 10. I'd prefer to go when they still "believe" in the magic so to speak...

and when they are old enough to go on most rides and remember quite a bit and be out of diapers!

We've gone, though, 3 times now with toddlers and have had magical times!!! Wouldn't trade our experiences for an older child any day!

Only if I could NEVER go again would I wait till they were 5! Only then!!! Just want to make that clear!

When our DS was a baby we decided to wait untill he was in kindergaten to go becasue we would only go once (LOL LOL LOL) and wanted him to be big enough to at least remember a little of it. Now I regret we never had those preschool memories of him at WDW. However if I could only go once, I would have to choose 9, the age of my DS this year. He is an only child and used to being in adult situations, yet still loves the kid stuff too. He could and would ride everything, and could go as long as we would. We didn't have to plan around naps, bedtimes or such. He was fine with any resturant we wanted to eat and seemed this year to savor rather that just experence the trip.He now is an avid planner and is working on next years trip!Don't think there is not a perfect age to take the kids!!

Jordan's mom

We went in Feb. of this year....DS was 13 and DD was 9...It was our first trip and everything was great...I think they were the perfect age to go...At least if we never go back again they will remember the trip they had!!!:)

The first time I went to WDW, I was 11.5 years old. I felt like I missed out of a lot of stuff waiting so long to go. My brother was 6 and sister was 9 at the time. We took dd for the first time when she was 4.5 years old. It was a great age! She has been again at ages 7.5 and 8.5 years old. ds was 15 months and 2.5 years old. We know three families who said they were waiting until their kids were older. Well, those families kids' are now adults and they never took their kids to WDW at all. I say go when you want to go. We are going again March 2004 when ds will be out of diapers and car seats. S

that each child gets to go by themselves to Disneyland with me on their 7th birthday. We have a large, busy family and this is a special, magical time where they get me all to themselves and are "large and in charge" for once. I picked this age as they are old enough to make choices (we can wait in line 2 hours for Splash Mountain or ride these three other rides), have enough energy to make it through a long day and yet still choose to believe. They will get this one trip and then one other shared one to WDW. We are a single income family of 6 and live far, far away so it is not really feasible to go more often. And by splitting it up, everyone gets to pick more of what they want to do.

At 7 they are starting to grow up so much and become their own person. It was so very special to dedicate some time to enjoying childhood again. Forget Britney Spears and rhinestone studded cropped shirts. Yes, my daughter did ask me if there was someone in that Mickey suit, but then when he got to our table she could have cared less. It WAS Mickey! She CHOSE to continue believing.

I did take the two oldest to WDW this May at 8 and 5. It was a lot to ask my 5 year old to handle and he missed the cutoff on a lot of rides. I am not sure I would take someone that young again. He enjoyed it, but some of it was too much. For instance WS was mostly lost on him, where my daughter and I would have enjoyed a little more time. And Dinosaur about scared the pants off him as he maybe believes a little too much (is this a bad thing?). And his decision making left a little to be desired. But at the same time the look on his face in the queue line at Buzz was so priceless I think I took an entire roll of film right there, and the look on his face when he realized I had gotten twice as many points as him was just as awesome.

So, since I have had to pick one age myself for the most part, I picked 7. Hope this helps!

I would wait until they are 6 years old. That is what we did, and it was a great experience! She was tall enough to ride everything she was interested in, and didn't tire out as easily. Everything was very magical for her, and we had a terrific time!

Well, I'm not really any help here. We're taking our very first trip next year. I'll be 28, dd will be 4.5 and dh will be 26. I've got a feeling it will be magical for us all!!! ;)

We waited until the kids were 6 and 8 to take them for the first time, knowing it would probably be quite a while until a next visit, and we wanted to make sure they were able and ready for walking so much,and so they would remember at least some of it. Well, we are going in Sept 2002 and they are now 12 and 14. While we were planning a lot of the trip, and going through the guidebooks for attractions, they told me they really had very little memory of going the last time.
So this may seem like a "first time" for them all over again.
:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:
Msdznyduck

Hi,

My older daughter was 5 when we took her the first time....Then, we took her when she was 9, and our other daughter was just 2. WE had a wonderful trip the second time, but it was truly magical for our older daughter at age 5. That's why we're going again next year, when our second daughter turns 5. I truly believe it is THE MAGICAL age for a Disney trip. Good luck in your decision!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter