If you did the dining plan before is there anything you are doing different

abaldacci

<font color=green>DIS Veteran<br><font color=blue>
this time around? I am making my AR's earlier in the day. :thumbsup2

I'm going to be sharing more this time around. We did a lot of meal-sharing with the CS credits first time around, but not with the TS. We wasted sooooo much food. This time I've pre-planned for TS sharing and booked extra TS meals with the leftover credits. I was able to make enough TS ADRs to cover my "extra" day without the meal plan (after check-out) plus I booked two TS meals on a couple of days. This has cut down on the number of CS lunches/dinners I'll need, so I'll be able to cover most of our breakfasts via leftover CS credits. My DD is 10 now and on the adult plan. My DS is 9. I've got it worked out so that every meal (both TS and CS) other than buffets we'll be ordering 2 meals and splitting them 3 ways. Based on my experience last month, I think we'll still be stuffed most of the time. If ever it isn't enough, that's what all those snack credits are there for.

There is a couple of things I will do differently...

1) Don't pay OOP for any meals until I have to. We thought we were going
to run out of CS & TS so we paid OOP for some meals. We had many left
over, so don't pay OOP until you have to.

2) Be sure to carry my Key to the world card with me at all times. Sometimes
I didn't have it and paid OOP for things I should have gotten free.

3) Make 2-3 ressies for LeCellier, it's so good, and you cannot get in again
unless you have an ADR

I made my ADRs earlier. Not the time, rather more in advance. This year I get to eat at Le Cellier :teeth:

SO is a picky eater. He doesn't really like red meats too much, so he always orders chicken everywhere! :rolleyes: He didn't really enjoy many of the TS places I chose last year for the free dining (although I gave him the opportunity to read menus and help me choose, he told me that I should just pick! MEN!). He did really like Boma for breakfast, so we are repeating that this year, as well as doing almost all buffets, because he can find many different things to appeal to him there. I have also got a ressie for the Coral Reef. That was the one restaurant he wanted to eat at last year but I told him I wasn't going to waste 2 TS credits on a seafood restaurant when I don't eat seafood at all. (I know, mean gf ;) ). But now that it is just 1 TS credit we can go.

This year, I'm not going to order appetizer and desserts for both of us, just because I feel like I have to. We would do the dining plan anyways, and last year, I hated always feeling so stuffed!! This year, I'm just plain ol' not going to eat as much just cause I'm "paying for it"!

Not worrying about trying to "maximize the plan" this year as all the threads had recommended last year. We are just going to eat where we want and enjoy it. The DDP is GREAT! :thumbsup2

I would make sure to stay at a Moderate resort with a REFRIGERATOR! We had so many leftovers that we could have eaten the next morning or for a midnight snack if we had a place to keep them. We stayed at Pop Century (value) this year.

Also, we discovered halfway through the trip that my son didn't have to order counter service kids meals, we could order regular adult meals for him.

If you are travelling with other's not on the Plan, this is a way to save money (unethical or not). Use the DDP counter service to pay for all adult meals and then have your non-DDP friends buy the cheaper kids meals. It worked on the day's my Florida sister joined us at the parks.

I plan on not worrying so much about where and when we are going to eat. Last year I made a few ADR's and we rushed around trying to find a table-service place to eat. This year I made ADR's but I wasn't so concerned over times, etc. I'm also not going to order an appitizer or dessert if I don't want one, instead of feeling obligated to get one I'll probably just pass it off to another table.

We are also doing Le Cellier twice this time! It was the best TS meal we had the whole trip! No sharing this trip. We are just going to pretend we are royalty and enjoy it. That reminds me that I need to lose 10 lbs. before I go.

sameyeyam said:
Also, we discovered halfway through the trip that my son didn't have to order counter service kids meals, we could order regular adult meals for him.

What do you mean? P[lease explain.

DDP states kids must order from a kid's menu if one is available. Sometimes my son didn't want what was on the kid's menu. Your Key to the World cards don't differentiate between a kid and an adult on the dining plan. So you can go to the counter service places and order all adult meals.

Counter service kids menus are sometimes very limited 2-3 items (hot dogs, mac n cheese, etc.). My son wanted a cheeseburger basket from the adult menu, no problem, we just ordered it. There was no problem whatsoever with ordering from the adult menu at counter service, even though we only paid the kid's price for him on the dining plan!

sameyeyam said:
DDP states kids must order from a kid's menu if one is available. Sometimes my son didn't want what was on the kid's menu. Your Key to the World cards don't differentiate between a kid and an adult on the dining plan. So you can go to the counter service places and order all adult meals.

Counter service kids menus are sometimes very limited 2-3 items (hot dogs, mac n cheese, etc.). My son wanted a cheeseburger basket from the adult menu, no problem, we just ordered it. There was no problem whatsoever with ordering from the adult menu at counter service, even though we only paid the kid's price for him on the dining plan!

Also works at TS meals. Share with the child at one TS (or pay OOP for a kid's meal) and then you can use the saved credits for additional ADRs and purchase adult meals.

sameyeyam said:

Just a word of warning... your KTTW Cards do indicate on the front of the card as to how many adults and children are on the dining plan. Therefore, if a CM wants to enforce the rule, you will not be able to order all adult meals. Most people are reporting that the CMs aren't really enforcing the rule, but it is the rule and some CMs have enforced it in the past. I just wanted to let the OP know that there is a possiblity they won't be allowed to order all adult meals at a CS restaurant.

Maybe someone can answer a question that has come up.

We are staying at OKW (DVC point rental) and buying the DDP 6 nights for 2 adults. Recently we have considered having our 8 year old grand nephew join us for 4 of those 6 nights. Point rental is not based on occupancy, but I believe we still would have to add his name to our reservation. What we are also considering is:

1) Can we add him to the DDP?
2) If so, do we need to add him for all 6 nights or just 4?
3) If we have to add him for the 6 nights, can we use the left-over credits ourselves?

Any advice/cautions/comments would be appreciated.

pedro2112 said:
Just a word of warning... your KTTW Cards do indicate on the front of the card as to how many adults and children are on the dining plan. Therefore, if a CM wants to enforce the rule, you will not be able to order all adult meals. Most people are reporting that the CMs aren't really enforcing the rule, but it is the rule and some CMs have enforced it in the past. I just wanted to let the OP know that there is a possiblity they won't be allowed to order all adult meals at a CS restaurant.

Most people travel with more than one adult, so one adult gets on line and orders while the other takes a seat with the children.

In my case, I traveled alone with my kids (8 and 9 at the time) so I just sent them off to the side where I could still see them and I ordered.

2ofUs said:
Maybe someone can answer a question that has come up.

We are staying at OKW (DVC point rental) and buying the DDP 6 nights for 2 adults. Recently we have considered having our 8 year old grand nephew join us for 4 of those 6 nights. Point rental is not based on occupancy, but I believe we still would have to add his name to our reservation. What we are also considering is:

1) Can we add him to the DDP?
2) If so, do we need to add him for all 6 nights or just 4?
3) If we have to add him for the 6 nights, can we use the left-over credits ourselves?

Any advice/cautions/comments would be appreciated.

He has to be added for all 6, but you can use the extra credits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter