If you don't live where you are "from," what products do you miss?

I'm from Michigan originally but lived in Chicago for 9 years. I've lived in Central Massachusetts now for 5 years.

From Michigan, I miss good produce. Michigan grows some many good things: cherries, apples, strawberries, blueberries, corn, asparagus, celery, peaches, tomatoes. Even though the weather is similar here in New England, the produce isn't nearly as good.

From Chicago, I miss good deep dish pizza (like Giordano's or Gino's East) and Chicago's style hot dogs. Plus, I just miss good food. In my neighborhood in Chicago, I lived within walking distance of probably 15 or 20 really great restaurants. A good meal was seen as an event. Not so much here. And fat people, too! Chicagoans love to eat and have no shame about being fat. Midwesterners in general are solidly built. Out here, I feel like an elephant amongst zebras.

From the Midwest in general I miss Vernor's ginger ale and Natural Ovens breads

I'm like 30 mins from Hartford. So not too far. I can't find them in the Shop Rite or Stop and Shop here! Admittedly, I haven't lived here too long. I might I have to take a trip up to Boston if they're there. Or have them shipped like another poster suggested. Momma is refusing to ship them now that I'm "an adult with a paying job who can get them herself" :sad:

You can also get them on Amazon.

And now talking about them I really want some.

Grew up in NH, lived in MA for 30 years, back to NH for 13 years, now Vero Beach, FL.

Things I miss from various places:

French Canadian food from Nashua and Manchester - I grew up on that stuff. If I can get ground pork down here I can occasionally make gorton myself. DH refuses to touch it! I love it on crackers or toast.

Hills taller than an overpass - We were just outside Conway village in NH and looked straight at Mt. Washington on our way to town.

Skiing

New England seafood - Luckily there is a New England Eatery restaurant on the barrier island between Vero Beach and Melbourne. It's the only place I can find real fried scallops. They also have fried clams with the bellies! Yum!

Cold water straight from the tap.

We will have to make occasional trips back for family events so will be able to have some of these things. DH's sister is coming to FL for the holidays -- I'll send her a list of things to bring with her.

My late husband was from Philadelphia. He missed scrapple. Every time he went 'home', he came back with pounds of it. Luckily, it would keep in the freezer.

When he was dying of lung cancer, his physician, her assistant and our former nurse practitioner got together and found a company to send him some.

I'm Canadian living in the UK...I miss:

- Kraft Dinner (was tipped off by another DISer that I could get it at a certain grocery store in the next city!)
- Kraft Peanut Butter
- Kool-Aid
- Salt & Vinegar Goldfish crackers
- Coffee Crisps
- Tim Hortons honey glaze donuts
- Dill Pickle Chips

The irony of this list is that I eat insanely healthy and would barely touch this stuff if I was still in Canada :)

I miss anything from WaWa
Philly Pretzels
Real Cheesestakes (not this steak and cheese crap they have up in MA)
Pork Roll
Turkey Hill ice cream has now become hard to find in MA(especially Chocolate Peanut Butter)
Jersey Tomatoes and Corn
Chick Fil a (they have one in a mall up here, but they aren't everywhere like they are in S. Jersey and the Philly area)

AS per my above bolding, J T&C

My husband and I moved from our home state of Alabama to New Hampshire. I miss Krispy Kreme doughnuts, sweet tea, Dales and Moores marinades, and a local Mexican restaurant that makes the best cheese dip and chips ever.

We are actually moving to Orlando at the end of the month! The things I will miss from NH are: fresh apple cider doughnuts, tons of awesome local restaurants, good vegetarian options at every restaurant, and my husband will miss the breweries/craft beers.

I can't wait to be back in the land of Krispy Kreme and sweet tea!

You forgot to mention where you're from... Cincinnati, baby! So am I and I miss those foods, too.

I'm more interested in reuniting with the food than my family when we get back to Cincy. :upsidedow

Not Cincy, but close. I left NKy 20 years ago .... I miss the food every day. LOL

Actually "from" all over (Military Brat), but lived in California while growing up. My most missed thing is See's Candies. I love their Mint Truffles and White Chocolate Mint Truffles. They are the very best!!! :lovestruc They are now only available seasonally (white during summer and milk choc during Christmas holidays). So to get them is very difficult.

I also miss Walker's Crisps (Smoky Bacon Flavor) even though I am not from the UK, I lived there for 3 years and they were great. :thumbsup2

Actually "from" all over (Military Brat), but lived in California while growing up. My most missed thing is See's Candies. I love their Mint Truffles and White Chocolate Mint Truffles. They are the very best!!! :lovestruc They are now only available seasonally (white during summer and milk choc during Christmas holidays). So to get them is very difficult.

I also miss Walker's Crisps (Smoky Bacon Flavor) even though I am not from the UK, I lived there for 3 years and they were great. :thumbsup2

Forgot about See's...my family sends them to us occasionally for the holidays...but I love those truffles....especially the raspberry ones.

I love the Apricot Delights and California Brittle. I miss stopping in while at the mall and being able to buy just a piece or two plus get whatever the sample of the day was.

Where in Va do you live? They have several Wegmans in Va now so you can get Bison dip and other Ny food stuff. I also live in Va and dh and I are originally from Rochester so we stock up when we make a Wegmans trip...

It is a few hours from me but we occasionally get items.

I loooove the White Chocolate Mint Truffles! They have one for Thanksgiving that is a Pumpkin Pie Truffle, and and first I thought ewwwwwww, but it is really good!

One night DH wanted a snack and reached for my box of See's, and he got a lecture on which chocolates are to munch on, and which ones we savor. :lmao:

I grew up in the New Orleans area, and the thing I miss most is BUNNY BREAD!

When we evacuated to S'Port for Katrina my then 10 year old had Bunny Bread withdrawls.
My parents returned home before we did, so when they would come up to visit, DS would have them bring him Bunny Bread.

When we evacuated to S'Port for Katrina my then 10 year old had Bunny Bread withdrawls.
My parents returned home before we did, so when they would come up to visit, DS would have them bring him Bunny Bread.

I can sympathize with your son. When I was in Monroe for nursing school and it was a long time in between trips home, I'd have to settle for Sunbeam. :scared:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter