If you dont own a gun (and I dont)

We have a small yappy dog and large, 120 lb dog. We also keep a baseball bat under the bed.

Honestly, we don't have much of value in the house, so it isn't a good target. I think the most expensive thing in the house is our fridge, and I doubt anyone will be stealing that.

I have contemplated getting a tazer, but haven't done it yet. I am too jumpy to have a gun. I'd likely shoot before thinking and that's not good.

The first thing I would do in the event someone came into the house is call 911. Unfortunately the lay out of our home makes it impossible to get out without coming very near an intruder so trying to get somewhere safe isn't an option.
I suppose we'd just wait and see if the intruder decided to make their way to the bedrooms where dh would be waiting with a loaded firearm.
I would hope that my barking dog would have long scared them off, but if not then IMO there is no other protection I'm going to trust more than a firearm.

Provided he has enough time to get it out of the storage locker or vault or whatever and load it right?

At night mine is loaded and on my nightstand right next to my bed. During the day when I'm not home, it's in the gun safe. DH is retired and home pretty much all day and he tends to carry his. Since it's just the two of us we don't have to worry about young children in the home. If for some reason people are coming over with children and spending the night, all of the guns would be locked in one of the safes.

I will say that when we had young children at home we didn't have guns in the house. At that time we had an alarm system. mace and a baseball bat.

I have a personalized Louisville Slugger next to my bed. I live in a suburb outside of Boston and the houses in my neighborhood are pretty close together (0.15 acre lots) such that if you screamed in the middle of the night, a few people would hear and call the cops. Not many people around here own guns and if they do, they tend to have sig sauer stickers plastered all over their trucks - so you know who they are. Most of the people here have never even touched a firearm.

The local police say that home security systems are the biggest deterrents for any kind of intruder in our area. Once that alarm goes off it pretty much wakes up the whole neighborhood!

Serrated edge saw.
I used to keep a hammer handy and a cup friend told me that it was a bad idea and would more likely end up being used against me. With the saw though I can attack from still relatively far back, with the handle I have a firm grip, and the serrated saw makes it difficult to disarm me.

Serrated edge saw.
I used to keep a hammer handy and a cup friend told me that it was a bad idea and would more likely end up being used against me. With the saw though I can attack from still relatively far back, with the handle I have a firm grip, and the serrated saw makes it difficult to disarm me.

Whoa wouldn't want to be on the receiving edge of that! You are the first person I have ever heard of to say a saw, usually it's a baseball bat or gun. I always thought somebody could grab the bat when you swing it so you are on to something. Nobody's going to be trying to grab a serrated saw :scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter