If you have an adr for a restaurant

If one is willing to risk losing $10 a head, go for it.

Disney's cancellation policy is pretty clear, though.
Yes, Disney policy is clear:
Restaurants offering advance reservations charge a per- person cancellation fee for reservations cancelled after the designated cancellation period, or for no shows. Each restaurant at the Walt Disney World® Resort maintains its own cancellation policy, so be sure to confirm the policy before finalizing your reservation.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/dining-reservations/restaurant-reservation-cancellation/

Arriving at the Podium means that you are not a no-show.

Restaurants offering advance reservations charge a per- person cancellation fee for reservations cancelled after the designated cancellation period, or for no shows. Each restaurant at the Walt Disney World® Resort maintains its own cancellation policy, so be sure to confirm the policy before finalizing your reservation.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/dining-reservations/restaurant-reservation-cancellation/

I was also going to point this out but didn't want to get into a potential battle of semantics so decided not to. But since it's already here....yes, showing up only at the podium is still technically showing. Even though we know it's not what Disney might mean, that is how it reads.

What you quoted says "cancelled after the designated cancellation period, OR for no shows". You're focused way too much on the "no shows" part. There are two components to the policy, not just one. Showing up for your reservation, checking in, then leaving could very easily be construed as cancelling after the designated cancellation period. The no show part has nothing to do with it.

Do whatever makes you comfortable, and your pocketbook and/or ability to debate it with Disney can support.

What you quoted says "cancelled after the designated cancellation period, OR for no shows". You're focused way too much on the "no shows" part. There are two components to the policy, not just one. Showing up for your reservation, checking in, then leaving could very easily be construed as cancelling after the designated cancellation period. The no show part has nothing to do with it.

Do whatever makes you comfortable, and your pocketbook and/or ability to debate it with Disney can support.
I'm at a loss - family shows up, checks-in, and gets seated - and you think by walking out after being seated (and not getting served) they've really just cancelled their reservation?

You're really making my case why canceling at the podium (not being a no-show) is the policy - because (with few exceptions) nobody is required to order food at Disney restaurants.

Last edited:

In a discussion like this, don’t lose sight of the reason for the cancellation policy in the first place—people were making multiple ADRs to cover wherever they happened to be come mealtime.

I’m convinced people still hoard them, but the hoarders are careful about cancelling them in time. It’s one reason you start seeing more availability close to your travel date.

I can only speak from personal experience. We once showed up for a FF reservation and they told us they were running about 30 minutes late. I knew my DS wasn't going to make it that long, so I asked the CM if it would be ok if we didn't stay for the reservation and she said yes. She was actually very apologetic that they were running that late. Keep in mind, this was one CM at one restaurant. I don't think this is policy across the board.

We once had a bad experience at Tiffin's (the server forgot to place our entree order). The CM and the manager apologized profusely and, without asking, completely comped our meal. We also had a really bad experience at Narcoosee's (we waited forever and, once we got our order, the food was stone cold because the server never picked it up after it was prepared). We got lots of apologies, but no comps. So, again, it's on a case by case, CM by CM case. I will add, we've been to WDW over 30 times and these experiences have been few and far between.

I'm at a loss - family shows up, checks-in, and gets seated - and you think by walking out after being seated (and not getting served) they've really just cancelled their reservation?

You're really making my case why canceling at the podium (not being a no-show) is the policy - because (with few exceptions) nobody is required to order food at Disney restaurants.

I'm saying it *could* be construed as cancelling...meaning there's that possibility. You're the one speaking out that it's definitely possible to do that and get away with it, and that's it's ridiculous to think otherwise.

Also, what are the exceptions where anyone is required to order food at Disney restaurants? I cannot think of a single restaurant where anyone is REQUIRED to order food.

ONCE AGAIN...do whatever your pocketbook and your "knowledge" of Disney policy makes you comfortable doing.

Also, what are the exceptions where anyone is required to order food at Disney restaurants? I cannot think of a single restaurant where anyone is REQUIRED to order food.

I can't speak for the person you quoted but I'm guessing that they might mean a buffet or AYCTE family style meal where you get charged for sitting at the table. Not technically ordering food, but, no way to sit there and not eat and not pay, either.

I can't speak for the person you quoted but I'm guessing that they might mean a buffet or AYCTE family style meal where you get charged for sitting at the table. Not technically ordering food, but, no way to sit there and not eat and not pay, either.

You have to pay, but you are not REQUIRED to order food.

Counting on walk ups is not going to be reliable. Most places people don't even try.
Actually, there are a lot of people who go to Disney and have no idea about ADRs. I am local, and I often walkup to see if I can get a place. More often than not, we are seated.

And your wait to be seated is way past your adr time-can you leave without penalty?

Or, if the servers inside the restaurant keep you waiting?

or any unpleasantness occurs before food and you wish to leave-would the $10 per head still be taken?

I imagine if you are waiting long after your ADR time, as long as you approach the host or hostess and let them know you are way past your time and will not wait any longer, they will not charge you. I would let someone know you are leaving before you leave. Who knows, when you talk to them you might actually be next to be seated. Same with scenario 2 and 3. I wouldn't just get up and leave, I would let someone, probably a manager know I'm leaving and exactly why.

Keep in mind that your ADR does not guarantee you will be seated at that exact time. It gives you the next available table for your party size.

If I wanted to leave because I felt the wait was too long, I would ask for the fee to be waived. But I wouldn't expect it. You can always ask.

We have had "good" reasons for canceling less than 24 in advance, and/or gotten some compensation or work around for significant delays -

1. on our last trip, we were seated late at Akershus and then delays made us even later - some were service related (dessert took forever to arrive, and our kids were slow, etc), as a result we were going to miss our FP window for FEA. Manager said to just bring our dinner receipt to the ride and let them know.

2. April 2016 - We had reservations for V&A, and our child care arrangements fell through 48 hours before. We told the GF concierge, who helped us look for last minute child care (kids nite out was totally booked), including waitlisting for a last minute cancellation and availability for child care. The concierge also talked to V&A and basically got them to agree that since we really really wanted to dine there, they'd hold the reservation for us until the actual time (!!) in case we got child care, and if we couldn't get care, there would be no penalty. We couldn't make it, it was a bummer, but the way the concierge handled it was one of the reasons we <3 the Grand. (and we went to V&A on our next trip)

I feel like I am going to jinx myself but I have had good luck with cancellations. One time we had breakfast at Chef Mickey’s booked but my husband woke up with pink eye so we had to wait for the doctor to come and couldn’t make it. They tried to find a rezzie for us on a different day but couldn’t but still waived the fee. Another time we decided we wanted to do the Frozen Ever After Dessert party and tried to change our dinner reservation to lunch but couldn’t so they waived the cancellation. Another time we got to the restaurant forty five minutes late. The said they would waive or seat us at 4:30 when the dinner reservations opened. I think they tend to be accommodating as long as you are reasonable.

We were told that we would be charged in that situation, but it was years ago when the penalty was brand new and I think they were enforcing quite strictly to get the message across that it really was policy. We checked in and waited over an hour for a table, but were told by two different CMs (one of them a manager) that the cancellation penalty was a no-exceptions policy.

Since then, however, I've heard a LOT of reports to the contrary so I think our experience was likely unique to the breaking-in period for the new rules.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter