If you have an AP, does DL lose its magic?

BensWife

DIS Veteran
We love going to DL, but being from Colorado, we make it maybe once a year. One year we went twice (once in June and once in August), but when we went in June (had been 17 years since going the last time), we were only there for 1 day and only got to ride about 4 rides - so that almost doesn't even count! hehehe Then, DH had a surprise work conference a couple months later in Anaheim, so I tagged along. That one was the one to hook use to really love Disney! We went to WDW in June of last year, and I wasn't ready to leave. I was actually sad when we left and almost depressed (yes, I am pathetic!!). Anyway, we are planning a trip in Sept with the kids, but DH and I were thinking about a quick getaway just the 2 of us this summer. If we do that, we should get AP to save money. If we get AP, then we would HAVE to go back at least a couple other times during the year:) (could afford to do that with DH's bonus and staying off site). However, if you go more times, does it lose its magic? Does it kinda become "been there, done that"? For us, it is such a special trip that it is magical every time, but I wonder if that is because we don't go all that often. Any thoughts?

Yes and no. Its never as good as the first time or as fun if you only get to go once a year but its still great. You get to learn all kinds of neat stuff about the parks when you go a couple of times a month. Its different but in a good way. I really enjoy it but I could see how a person could say its not as fun. I don't personally agree with that point of view but I could understand it. I still love going as much as possible.

The second time we had AP's in 2011/2012 we went Oct, Jan and March with a possible trip in June and then a planned trip for Oct just before they expired. Oct was great! January was great! March was a downer and we weren't feeling the magic at all. It was kind of hum drum and we were tired of making the 8 hour drive in the desert from Tucson. We decided it was too much Disney for us.:scared1: I know, that seemed impossible! As you can see how many trips we've done to DL, I didn't think that could ever happen!

We cancelled our June trip and we were going to So. Cal anyways in Oct to stay in San Diego so we kept our Oct trip but it was just a 3 day add on before hitting the beach in SD. We ended up staying at the Grand for that Oct trip and it was super special! Plus that is trip we got to do Cars Land for the first time!

Then we skipped DL completely in 2013 and so far we haven't been back since that Oct 2012 trip. We've had plenty of Disney though with a 2 day trip to the parks at WDW last year added onto our Discovery Cove trip and our stay at Aulani this past March.

I've got a weekend trip to DL planned for Nov to see the holiday decorations. We've never been there during Christmas time and its been a while so we are ready to head back.

For us, there can be too much Disney. It didn't feel special that March trip. We were tired of standing in lines seeing the same old things. I always try to incorporate new experiences but it's getting harder and harder with the amount of times we've been there.

I don't think we could ever be locals with annual passes. It would be too much, I think.

I can't imagine ever losing the magic. I've been an ap for over 10 years and go at least every 6 weeks. This year I even got the premier pass & since jan I've been to dlr 7 times & wdw for a week. My teens are also ap's & have been going since they were 6 mos old & still get excited when we go. Yes, the crowds can sometimes be a bummer, but then we do things we don't normally do, ie the train, Lincoln, etc. it's also different since we only live a hour away, having to travel would make it more of a chore, less fun.

We had APs in 2012 and loved them!!!! We went every chance we got and we drive 5+ hours to get there from the Bay Area. We took the opportunity to see and do things we don't usually do. Just to give you an idea, our kids are all grown and it was just my husband and I most trips. We are going in July, and I can't decide if I want to get another AP in July or just buy a ticket and get an AP starting NYE so its good the entire year of the 60th anniversary. For us it was Great, my husband and I really enjoy spending time together at Disney, it's a love we both have.

My family and I have had APs for 2 years now and we LOVE it! Never have we felt like the Magic is gone from visiting often. With our current pass we have been going about every couple months. It's great to experience all of the different times of year at Disneyland. We feel like we can also take our time and enjoy the park more now that we have APs because we aren't rushing around trying to squeeze everything in as we know we will be back soon for more fun :) this year we've been in December which was is so magical,February which was still great due to less crowds but we just didn't care for all the rain we encountered, and now we are heading back on June 15th! Can't wait for some sun and longer park hours! We will add on one more trip before they expire in October and that is probably our most favorite time to go,we love Halloween time at Disneyland and the weather is usually perfect! We will not be renewing for another year ONLY because we are planning our first ever Disney Cruise! Obviously we can't get enough Disney :)

I lived in the city of Orange and had an AP for a couple years. We would go to the park multiple times a week sometimes. I kept track and in those couple years, I went to the parks over 200 times. Honestly, it never lost it's magic for me! I loved every visit and had a blast. Now we only got once every few years and I really miss being able to go all the time.

We love going to DL, but being from Colorado, we make it maybe once a year. One year we went twice (once in June and once in August), but when we went in June (had been 17 years since going the last time), we were only there for 1 day and only got to ride about 4 rides - so that almost doesn't even count! hehehe Then, DH had a surprise work conference a couple months later in Anaheim, so I tagged along. That one was the one to hook use to really love Disney! We went to WDW in June of last year, and I wasn't ready to leave. I was actually sad when we left and almost depressed (yes, I am pathetic!!). Anyway, we are planning a trip in Sept with the kids, but DH and I were thinking about a quick getaway just the 2 of us this summer. If we do that, we should get AP to save money. If we get AP, then we would HAVE to go back at least a couple other times during the year:) (could afford to do that with DH's bonus and staying off site). However, if you go more times, does it lose its magic? Does it kinda become "been there, done that"? For us, it is such a special trip that it is magical every time, but I wonder if that is because we don't go all that often. Any thoughts?

"No"!!!!! The Magic isn't lost!!!!(For us, anyway!;))

We have had Annual Passes for years, and we still find new things to do and experience, every time we visit(we come to the Resort several times per year).

There are lots of ways to "change it up", or different ways of touring, etc., and we find that taking time to really notice and enjoy all the details/small things, really add to and enhance the experience, and always leave us wanting more!:)

We've had APs since 2001. No magic loss here. I will admit that we've fallen into a routine that some might call a rut. We like the rides we like and skip those that we think are so-so.

not at all! our passes expire in about a month and when we lived in southern california (we moved a couple months ago, so d-land is now about a 4 hour drive away) we loved being so close to the parks and being able to go pretty much whenever we wanted. we have a to-do list it's taken us almost a year to cross everything off. and there's always something new to see/do or a different food/restaurant to try, so just when we think we've done it all, we add something else to our list, lol. and during the holidays (halloween, dia de los muertos, christmas, 3 kings day, chinese new year...) there's even more! and it's nice being there knowing that we don't have to rush or try to do EVERYTHING in one day. and during almost every visit, either my husband or i will say, "hey, i never noticed that before!" and then there's the unexpected/unplanned moments that we just get lucky enough to experience, like being chosen as the rebel spy on star tours.
we're going to disneyland this week and there's a good chance it will be our last trip before our passes expire in june and we probably won't renew them (at least not right away) and i'm so sad! i'm really going to miss it!

NEVER any loss for the magic!!! At 20 minutes away (give or take a little traffic) Local AP holders can find the joy in anything Disney at any time otherwise why be there? Since our 1st trip to WDW back in 2005 we LOVE Disney even MORE and are PROUD DVC onwers at BCV & VGC since 2008!!! We work hard at bringing both our AP's and DVC points to use!!! Just did the 24 hour event while staying in the 2 bedroom villa for ONLY the ONE night!!! This gave my kids & their friends someplace to take breaks PLUS eat without overspending for food in the parks!!!
If I had to give up one of my DVC's it probably would be BCV due to the convience of living in So Cal ( my whole life) !!!
Might be childish to some people but this is MY VEGAS!!!

I live in Seattle, and have had an AP for 3 years now. So far this year I have been twice, once for the Diva trip (on the community page), and once for MouseAdventure. We're planning a trip for early August now, and I'd like to try to go again at Christmas. It's magical every time I go, but now I don't feel like I have to do everything on each trip, so I can relax a bit more. I don't feel as rushed on shorter trips. If I don't get to ride Indy, it will still be there when I come back. Unless it's being refurbed.

Nope! We had passes for several years, and started visiting every other month. There was always something new to find or try, that we wouldn't have done if we were only going once a year. It also gives you the liberty of going at a slower pace. You don't have to see everything every time, or rush to get it all done. If anything, APs give you MORE magic!;)

My wife and I live like 10 minutes from the park, and we have had AP's for like 5 years. It has never lost the magic for us. Sure, some visits are better than others, but thats the way life is. When you have an AP, you can step out of the mode of having to get everything in all at once, and when you slow everything down that where you find the magic all over again. We will set out with a plan to just get a Dole Whip, see the Tiki Room, and ride the train around twice. With an open ended plan like that, we can discover the magic as we go. Maybe we will sit in the hub and people watch. Maybe we will spend an hour in the Main Street Cinema and watch all six cartoons in their entirety. Maybe we will grab a seat an hour before the parade and enjoy some popcorn while we just enjoy the atmosphere. Or maybe we will dress up and spend the day getting pictures all over the park. Or slowly walk Main Street and listen to the different sounds coming from the different windows. Trust me. That's where the real magic is. Not on the rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter