• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If you need a scooter, where would you buy DVC

Where would you buy DVC if a family member has mobility issues

• Grand Floridian

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wilderness Lodge

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TheBackson

Earning My Ears
i have painful back and leg issues due to an injury. I need a scooter for the parks. I would like to have a home resort that is convenient to the majority of places and where the trip back to the hotel is not very long, in case I get into severe pain and just want to get back to the room quickly. We are a family of 3 so we would usually get a studio. I like Poly, Beach Club, GF. I don't think BLT is for us because it feels and looks more like an urban place and we go to Disney to take a break from NYC, plus I want a great pool for my down days. Beach Club would mean taking buses to MK but it's near HS and Epcot. For now, my family likes MK best but that can change. What hotel would be good for a family where there is a disability and wants to be able to book a studio? I fear that Poly studios will start to become difficult to book because there are only studios and the expensive bungalows there. I know I do not have to stay at my home resort but I wamt bookimg to be as easy as possible. Price is a factor for us but I might justify spending more up front for the resorts that have more years on the contract. I may not buy as many points that way, though. Advice?

Hi. I am disabled and stayed in most resorts. I find the Poly a nightmare. It has cobbled floors. I like VGF and SSR. I like the boats to Disney Springs from SSR and you can use your scopter over the bridge to get to Disney Sorings.plenty of buses to all parks and a nice open accessible resort. Actually sometimes the monorail takes longer than you think! At peak times the line for the monorail from MK is very busy.

Also consider WL. I found this very good for all parks too but not all boats to MK take a scooter. However there is a bus that is super fast.

Wow, these are not options I was expecting. I had a so-so experience with the boat from MK to POly. It was packed. I was tired when I drove the scooter on and I put my foot down on the ground. I then started to move the scooter and my foot was stuck between the boat and dock. I didn't get hurt because I stopped fast enough but I felt frustrated. Then they had to squeeze me in with another person who had an ECV. Turns out he was funny & telling jokes, so it wasn't terrible. How is it to go from WL to Epcot? I have a friend who loves WL. Which floors at Poly are difficult for you? Is it the lobby? along the beach?

VGF is probably one that I need to consider as much as Poly. I am a bit of a spa junkie and massage helps with my injuries. Being near a spa at Disney would be awesome and I'd use it while my family goes on the rides that would further break my back!!!! Is it true that it's tough to get a studio at VGF even at 11 mos?

Can you even buy DVC in most of those resorts? I thought they were sold out, long ago, except for the Poly and WL? Or is there a healthy resale market now?

I'd do the EPCOT area - ride the scooter to EPCOT and HS, bus to MK and AK. No need to worry about which boat shows up, the monorail breaking down, etc.

To be able to use the monorail is a strong plus for most on scooters getting back and forth from MK and Epcot. So, the monorail resorts would help.

We really like Epcot the best; so, resorts there are good, too.

We like driving to the parks the best when using a scooter. We can handle getting the scooter in and out of the trunk. In this case any resort would do.

I have a friend that is a full time wheel chair user and there home resort is OKW they go to Disney about 5 times a year for long weekends and have stayed at a number of resort ( DVC) and I do not think they have ever had a problem with one of them

I personally would pick WL - as Paula said above, the boats are easy (every other boat typically can accommodate an ECV) and the trips to every park tend to be fairly quick - MK is usually only a 5 minute bus ride!

We prefer VWL because it's so tranquil, and because the people we have met there have always been so very friendly. The lobby of the Lodge is one of my happiest of happy places; I could sit in front of that fireplace and rock away the days with a good book without ever going to a Park once! I don't know why, but even before construction, when WL was at capacity, it just never feels "full". And the buses from the Parks and Disney Springs tend to be easy as well; we have never really seen the crazy lines at the Park bus depots like some resorts have. Finally, VWL has a fairly compact "footprint"; everything is relatively close together and convenient. I never feel like I have to set out on an expedition just to fill my mug at the QS!

CR/BLT feels very "busy" all the time to me, and I come to WDW to relax! GF is so pretty, but I tend to get overwhelmed there. I like the Epcot resorts - and if Epcot/World Showcase is your fave place to be, then I would look there! The only thing I don't like about Boardwalk (for example) is the QS dining situation; but again, that's a personal preference.

I love love love Poly - it is my second favorite after WL, but there are only the 2 elevators to get up to the Monorail level, and last time we were there, one of them was out of service for an entire day, which meant we lined up several times just to use that one elevator! With it being so small, you could only fit one ECV/stroller per trip typically. We had the option to use the bus, or go over to TTC, but I really wish that Poly was just a bit more "wheels friendly". We do tend to limit our time at Poly because we have a family member who gets overwhelmed by the theming, and after several days typically needs to stay someplace a bit more "neutral".

I have yet to stay at SSR - but I do love the boats at Disney Springs! OKW is so pretty and is very relaxing to me too, and we hope to stay there in the next 6 months or so. I *love* Olivia's at OKW; if you haven't eaten there, you should. OKW has the boats to/from Disney Springs (one of my favorite forms of transportation at WDW) but the accessible path down to the docks always feels kind of like an afterthought to me.

In the spirit of honesty, we don't own DVC. I understand the concept and the theoretical benefits; we just prefer to have the freedom to stay where we want, when we want, and not be encumbered by rules, calendars & points. I can, if I choose, rent points, or I can book directly through Disney or my Travel Agent.

But I still enjoy staying at DVC properties! ;)

When we stayed at BCV, it was so easy. And riding my scooter to Epcot was a short ride. However, we're staying at OKW in January because DH was to, but as a scooter rider, that seems like the WORST resort, so I'm very nervous. Only 3 buildings have elevators, and a bus is required for every park. So, depending on where along the bus stops we are, it's possible that the bus will be full of its ECV capacity and we'll have to wait for the next bus. Pre-scooter it was my favorite resort. Now, my least favorite.

When we stayed at BCV, it was so easy. And riding my scooter to Epcot was a short ride. However, we're staying at OKW in January because DH was to, but as a scooter rider, that seems like the WORST resort, so I'm very nervous. Only 3 buildings have elevators, and a bus is required for every park. So, depending on where along the bus stops we are, it's possible that the bus will be full of its ECV capacity and we'll have to wait for the next bus. Pre-scooter it was my favorite resort. Now, my least favorite.

We have stayed at several resorts that are "bus only" access to the parks, and typically never have to wait for a bus, unless we are trying to travel around at "rush hours", and even then, we have only waited a handful of times in the last 5 years or so.

Obviously there are exceptions every time, but I'll keep a happy thought for you that you'll find OKW charming and peaceful (and Olivia's is *amazing*!)

Thanks all. It's Intersting that we each have different experiences and what bothers one person does not bother another. I think I just need to travel a lot more & check out ALL the hotels. Who's with me on that idea? For those discussing elevators I stayed on ground floor at Poly and I think that helped and when I got to the lobby and had to take an elevator for the monorail, I was not already sick of taking my scooter on to the elevators. I would go ground floor again unless it was an amazing view that I was sacrificing.

Thanks all. It's Intersting that we each have different experiences and what bothers one person does not bother another. I think I just need to travel a lot more & check out ALL the hotels. Who's with me on that idea? For those discussing elevators I stayed on ground floor at Poly and I think that helped and when I got to the lobby and had to take an elevator for the monorail, I was not already sick of taking my scooter on to the elevators. I would go ground floor again unless it was an amazing view that I was sacrificing.

I prefer to stay ground floor whenever possible, for more reasons that I can possibly list here, so I totally understand that! :)

I love to go visit other Resorts when we are staying at WDW! Not only is it a chance to see a part of WDW that is typically well-themed and enjoyable, but each Resort (especially the moderates and the deluxes) typically has some special feature (a themed bar, an especially charming QS, water views of fireworks at MK... you get the idea) that you don't see at every Resort. Plus you get to see in-person how that Resort functions, and get a better idea of if it is someplace you'll feel comfortable. And if a Resort has more than one type of transportation available (bus + boat, bus + boat + monorail) then I always give it "bonus points"! ;)

For our family, we prefer resorts where the lobby, QS, shop(s) and transportation are all fairly close together, and a decent proximity to our room(s). I always make good use of my dining plan mug, and I don't want to/like to have to trek a long distance for a refill! ;)

All great options and discussion. The only thing I could think of with WL I would not like is the incline to get to food area.

All great options and discussion. The only thing I could think of with WL I would not like is the incline to get to food area.

I agree - those ramps are kind of insane! My poor little ECV does not like those ramps because when I am going up towards the lobby, the wheel that has power to it (the left rear) is on the carpet, while the right rear wheel (not powered) is on the tile. So, he kind of gets a bit cranky going up! Going down, is a breeze - just have to stay steady on the brakes, and not let it get away from me! ;)

However, with all of the DVC changes at WL both inside the lodge and out (and a new dining option apparently on the radar there as well) I'm excited to see what happens next time we stay there! The ramps are a small price for me to pay in exchange for the atmosphere at WL :)

We bought at AKV and BWV, but we always drive and I have a hitch mounted carrier for my ECV so that does change it up. Stayed at BLT last month and love the ability to just scoot to MK , but the elevator doors close quickly and I had huge issues when trying to get on by myself. Also love staying at the Epcot resorts because I can get to both HWS and EPCOT just with "scooter power" and I can also take the monorail from EP to get to MK.

While I don't use a scooter, the couple staying next door to us did. The halls are short (less driving) and she just parked next to their door. Seemed easy.
Availability in a studio at VGF is very competitive many times of the year. SSR has far easier book-ability at 7 months or less.

We own at BLT and DW uses a Wheelchair. We have found it very wheelchair friendly. We also like the zero entry pool.

Own at BWV and SSR.

At BWV, I love being able to scoot to EPCOT and the Studios as well as scooting around the lake.

SSR, I can scoot over to Disney Springs whenever and now that it's been expanded it's a nice change... great for dining.

I've actually stayed at the new Poly villas and if I bought more points this is where I would want then to be. Love the proximity to MK and the monorail to EPCOT.

A lot depends on how much time you intend to spend in the parks and which ones you prefer. As the years pass, I find as many DVC'ers do, that I seem to spend less time in the parks and more time at the resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter