If you prefer to be near the MK/on monorail, do you go back to the same hotel or try all of them out

Childs1stTime2Disney

*A dream is a wish your heart makes*
We have stayed at the POLY and just now the GF. I have stayed in the Contemporary many years ago, two times. We love the POLY but felt the rooms were too drab/dated. We loved the GF, rooms were the best for sure, but not sure we would stay again next year immediately following this trip.Not sure if would choose the Contemporary now, with 2 kids, as it feels a bit lacking in theme/grounds to me now. And we like WL but don't want to have to rely on a boat with a young toddler in a stroller (but will stay once we no longer need the stroller). So if you prefer a MK area/monorail resort, what do YOU do? Try them all or always do the same one?

Last edited:
We have stayed at the POLY and just now the GF. I have stayed in the Contemporary many years ago, two times. We love the POLY but felt the rooms were too drab/dated. We loved the GF, rooms were the best for sure, but not sure we would stay again next year immediately following this trip.Not sure if would choose the Contemporary now, with 2 kids, as it feels a bit lacking in them/grounds to me now. And we like WL but don't want to have to rely on a boat with a young toddler in a stroller (but will stay once we no longer need the stroller). So if you prefer a MK area/monorail resort, what do YOU do? Try them all or always do the same one?

Most of our travels have been at the monorail resorts. We’ve rotated around all three, although will repeat Poly when needed - personal favorite.

For us, it depends more on the length of trip, purpose of trip, and time of year. For example, we’ll do CR in the fall for a long weekend to do MNSSHP. Walkability to MK is key (saves so much time) and swimming isn’t necessarily a main priority (not a total fan of the pools there with our kiddos). CR is my “business trip” resort - I love it, but I like staying there when I have a specific purpose.

We’ll do Poly in the summer for a longer trip, more pool/resort time, etc.

We’ll do GF if we otherwise get bored with the others. :-)

Also I’ll chase rates/discounts - that often dictates our decision more than anything.

Different strokes for different folks, but that works for us.

Most of our travels have been at the monorail resorts. We’ve rotated around all three, although will repeat Poly when needed - personal favorite.

For us, it depends more on the length of trip, purpose of trip, and time of year. For example, we’ll do CR in the fall for a long weekend to do MNSSHP. Walkability to MK is key (saves so much time) and swimming isn’t necessarily a main priority (not a total fan of the pools there with our kiddos). CR is my “business trip” resort - I love it, but I like staying there when I have a specific purpose.

We’ll do Poly in the summer for a longer trip, more pool/resort time, etc.

We’ll do GF if we otherwise get bored with the others. :-)

Also I’ll chase rates/discounts - that often dictates our decision more than anything.

Different strokes for different folks, but that works for us.

Great reasons, good post! Why don't you care for the pools at the Contemporary ?

We have stayed at the POLY and just now the GF. I have stayed in the Contemporary many years ago, two times. We love the POLY but felt the rooms were too drab/dated. We loved the GF, rooms were the best for sure, but not sure we would stay again next year immediately following this trip.Not sure if would choose the Contemporary now, with 2 kids, as it feels a bit lacking in theme/grounds to me now. And we like WL but don't want to have to rely on a boat with a young toddler in a stroller (but will stay once we no longer need the stroller). So if you prefer a MK area/monorail resort, what do YOU do? Try them all or always do the same one?
They're all good resorts. We've stayed at each one. In summer, I would avoid CR due to its puny pool. GF is my favorite of the three.

Great reasons, good post! Why don't you care for the pools at the Contemporary ?

Our kids have been 1-7 in our travels, so we are and have been in prime zero entry pool and kids splash pad phases. The splash pads at Poly and GF are so far superior to CR that it’s hard to overlook.

I do love the CR pools for the calm and peaceful atmosphere. It’s never hard to find a chair and the setting on the shores of Bay Lake is lovely. We’ve had plenty of good times there too, we just give the nod to GF and Poly in that particular category.

Our kids have been 1-7 in our travels, so we are and have been in prime zero entry pool and kids splash pad phases. The splash pads at Poly and GF are so far superior to CR that it’s hard to overlook.

I do love the CR pools for the calm and peaceful atmosphere. It’s never hard to find a chair and the setting on the shores of Bay Lake is lovely. We’ve had plenty of good times there too, we just give the nod to GF and Poly in that particular category.

We just saw the splash pad at the POLY this trip, it wasn't there when we stayed 6 years ago. When did they put that in, and I don't recall what that replaced? Just seating?

I’ve been lucky enough to stay at most resorts on property. As we tend to gravitate towards MK for the majority of our trip, we prefer to stay near it.

Our last trip we stayed at WL, and quickly found we preferred the boat. The buses were a bit of a nightmare, and very hit and miss.

Although our trips are adult trips, we love a bit of Disney theming, and a lot of atmosphere. The Contemporary is always a lovely resort, but I always feel like it lacks some “magic” for a resort so close to MK, especially when you compare it with the Poly and Grand Flo. I always feel like the lounging areas at the Poly and Grand Flo are much nicer and more welcoming, the Contemporary always feels a bit airport like?

We did BLT (Contemporary) three times consecutively, then decided we wanted/needed to switch it up. Our kids loved it though.

We tried WL next during the first half of a split stay with the Poly and discovered although the peace and tranquility was nice (we stayed during the construction, it was virtually empty), and we enjoyed to boat ride to MK, we longed to be back on the monorail.

We then stayed for our following two trips entirely at the Poly and loved it. Our next trip our kids have already said they want to go back to Contemporary. We've dined and visited GF, but right now, have no plans to stay there yet.

So in our case, we have stuck with a favorite, then tried out others. Why not? If you aren't certain, do a split stay.

We have stayed at the CR, Poly, GF and WL for MK resorts. Our favorite is the GF and we are finally going to have a repeat visit there this summer. We also love the WL, however, our family of five is too large for a room there.

I honestly foresee us switching back and forth between the GF and the YC for the rest of our visits.

We've stayed at all 4 multiple times and we choose based on what we are looking to accomplish on any given trip and what is best for our current family make-up. You mention not wanting to stay at WL while you are still using a stroller and I second that. We first stayed at WL when DS was 3 1/2 and it was not convenient. CR was great with a stroller, but otherwise, the pool is not conducive to younger children (the whole pool area could use a refurb IMHO). Poly was great - I loved the size of the rooms, the theme, the ability to use the monorail and walk to TTC, but I found the restaurant choices to be lacking (Capt. Cook's is so chaotic). I think of the monorail resorts, GF became our favorite (though I love the theming at Poly better). Again, spacious rooms, monorail (though no short path to TTC), more restaurant choices, more serene than Poly and nice big pools (with shade) and a splash pad. So, I guess, in essence, with a younger family, I would probably pick GF, again (though I don't like the price tag!). Now that DS is older, WL is typically our go-to MK resort. We love the boats to MK and with the money we save from not booking a monorail resort, we take Minnie Vans (or lyft/uber) to all other destinations on property. If the Minnie Vans had been available when he was younger, I probably wouldn't have waited so long to go back to WL.

We've stayed in them all and the only one we like is WL. GF we've only stayed in once, but that was enough for DH and I to know we are not GF folks. We won't go back. We've done CR many times and Poly quite a few. They are alright but we much prefer WL. I think the fact that we prefer WL probably helps indicate why GF isn't for us. They are pretty polar opposite in atmosphere. We even did our first stay at WL with DGD still in a stroller. It was not a deterrence to us at all. But I'm odd in that I don't feel the monorail is a plus. I'm not a fan. If I'm there when you are, you won't be either, because it will be down as much as it's running.

Poly is still my favorite. I agree that the standard rooms are a bit drab/worn so we opt to stay in a DVC studio, I love the décor and its proximity to the TTC for trips to Epcot too. You would have a queen bed, queen sleeper and a small trundle. You give up some living space in the room for the 2 bathroom areas, though.

We love the Contemporary and would stay there again for sure. We have zero interest in staying at GF. We'll be at Poly for the first time ever this year and I'm a bit nervous that it won't live up to expectations!

We've stayed in them all and the only one we like is WL. GF we've only stayed in once, but that was enough for DH and I to know we are not GF folks. We won't go back. We've done CR many times and Poly quite a few. They are alright but we much prefer WL. I think the fact that we prefer WL probably helps indicate why GF isn't for us. They are pretty polar opposite in atmosphere. We even did our first stay at WL with DGD still in a stroller. It was not a deterrence to us at all. But I'm odd in that I don't feel the monorail is a plus. I'm not a fan. If I'm there when you are, you won't be either, because it will be down as much as it's running.
I hear that a lot. We just had a 9 day stay and monorail was never once down. Never did we wait more than 10 mins (and it was peak busy time).

Poly is still my favorite. I agree that the standard rooms are a bit drab/worn so we opt to stay in a DVC studio, I love the décor and its proximity to the TTC for trips to Epcot too. You would have a queen bed, queen sleeper and a small trundle. You give up some living space in the room for the 2 bathroom areas, though.

Can you tell me more about this? Do you need to be a DVC member?

We love the Contemporary and would stay there again for sure. We have zero interest in staying at GF. We'll be at Poly for the first time ever this year and I'm a bit nervous that it won't live up to expectations!

The resort grounds are just stunning and amazing. Especially at night. What do you love about the Contemporary?

Can you tell me more about this? Do you need to be a DVC member?

You can rent rooms from members for cheaper than Disney charges for their rooms. Minimal housekeeping, and your reservations are typically locked in and not at all flexible, but they offer pretty significant savings. You can either check out the rental board under the DVC section here, or go through a broker such as David's DVC rental.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter