If You See a Disney Employee with a Blue Name Tag, This Is What It Means

Kennywood

Kennywood
Despite whatever costumes, wigs, and makeup a Disney Cast Member (that's Disney-speak for "employee") is required to wear for work, all employees must wear a name tag that states their first name and hometown. From cruise captains to line cooks and ride operators, in Disneyland and Disney World, everyone who works for the mouse will have a tag. If you've been to a Disney park or on a Disney cruise, you’ve probably seen hundreds of them with changing styles, graphics, and colors worn by employees from all over the world. But if you ever saw a blue name tag, you may not have known just how rare it is.

1672849777939.png

What Does a Blue Name Tag Mean at Disney?
Generally, the background of the oval label has been consistently white except for a special handful that proudly wears a blue tag. The blue name tag is certainly not random and if you’re an avid Disney-goer, you may have caught glimpse of a few and wondered why they were different.

Cast Members wearing a blue name tag have earned the prestigious Walt Disney Legacy Award, specifically reserved for employees who have done an exceptional job executing Disney’s mission to dream, create, and inspire. This award is the highest honor a Cast Member can receive and will hold onto that honor for the duration of their employment at Disney.

How Blue Name Tags Were Started
The global recognition program began in 2011 in order to showcase employees who embody the values that were important to Walt Disney himself. Before 2011, each Disney location had its own way of honoring Cast Members with various awards but found that recognition for outstanding Cast Members was not consistent throughout. The awards were then unified to create one esteemed and selective employee honor.

How Someone Earns The Award
This special honor only occurs if a Cast Member is nominated by a fellow Cast Member. The award is extremely selective, with only a few hundred honorees out of a staff of over 200,000. The panel of judges who review and select winners is comprised of a board of executives, managers, and some additional theme park employees. This recognition program spans all Disney theme parks along with Imagineering and the Disney Cruise Lines.

These Cast Members have proved that they will go above and beyond to make Disney the most magical experience for all guests, while consistently working long hours with large crowds and exhausted (maybe irritable) families in the blazing heat with a notably small paycheck. (And now during a global pandemic, no less!) Make sure to give many thanks and kudos if you see one of these Cast Members walking around in the park.

Source: https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/if-you-see-a-disney-employee-with-a-blue-name-tag-this-is-what-it-means/ar-AA15YbV3?ocid=BingHp01&cvid=d9eef570977241b2cdcc61b256d0bc3b

Unfortunately that's just the company line for what the name tag stands for now.

When they originally came out, this was 100% true and the selection process was rather rigorous wjth the program being very exclusive. I'm not sure why that has changed over time, but the award is now just a glorified popularity contest and has nothing to do with exemplifying the Disney vision.

The Blue Tag CMs are definitely great, and I had one help me after a bird in Animal Kingdom pooped on me while I was seeing the animals in the Enclosure bit.

such a good factoid! I've also seen green tag employees. I think they are front-line or hourly employees. But it'll an advantage advantage to know a blue tag employee.

such a good factoid! I've also seen green tag employees. I think they are front-line or hourly employees. But it'll an advantage advantage to know a blue tag employee.
I've never seen or had a green name tag. All of mine are either white or off-white.

In twenty+ years of going to WDW I have never seen a green name tag. I have seen green I.D.’s that cast members wear which signifies they do work at WDW but not for Disney. These people typically work in like hair braiding or face painting. Disney leases the company space inside the park and they provide the manpower and supplies while operating under Disney standards.

There are no green name tags. There are people who wear green company IDs. They are 3rd party vendors. All Disney employees have blue company IDs whether they're full time or hourly.

Name tags are either white or these specialty blue ones. I think people are getting confused between name tags and company IDs.

There are Disney employees with gold name tags.
The only official gold name tags I'm aware of are the Disney Ambassador name tags. They first came out in 2021 and are extremely rare because only two ambassadors are selected each year at each location. They serve as ambassadors for a year. I believe former ambassadors can also wear them after their term is up.

will book looking for those blue tags on our next trip
Me too! This is super neat.

I love talking with the CMs waiting in line. I always learn something new and it helps to pass the time. Plus, it's just nice to be friendly and these CMs are at their posts a long time. This factoid will come in handy next time I'm chatting 😀

More factoids on name tags. You've probably noticed that some CMs have a bronze/gold pin on their name tags. Those are service pins which signify years of service as a CM. CMs earn them after a year and then every five years. They're always in the same location because there is an indentation on the back of the name tag and CMs just heat up a safety pin and poke a hole all the way through the indentation.

PS and a little off topic. My first name tag was the original off white plain oval tag with a "Ta-dum Mickey" on it. Who remembers those? We're talking decades. And my last name tag was the current white tag with a bump on top. Ironically the character on my last service pin was a "Ta-dum Mickey" so Mickey was with me from the start to the finish. And yes, I still have all my name tags.

Last edited:
Very neat. Is this across all parks/cruises/hotels as well? I don't know if I've ever seen a blue name tag at Disneyland yet.
Yes you'll find the blue tags everywhere. However, as I say that I'll add that I can't recall seeing one on the ships, so maybe not there. But they are in the parks (both coasts), hotels and shops.

Yes you'll find the blue tags everywhere. However, as I say that I'll add that I can't recall seeing one on the ships, so maybe not there. But they are in the parks (both coasts), hotels and shops.
I noticed that the dining room supervisor in 1923 on the Wish had a blue name tag. We had a nice chitchat about his hometown of Rome, Italy.

I noticed that the dining room supervisor in 1923 on the Wish had a blue name tag. We had a nice chitchat about his hometown of Rome, Italy.
Good to hear. I wish I had seen that when sailing on the Wish. I would have had a good time chatting with him about Rome as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter