• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If you take Gram and Pop with you....

I'm 61 and my kids still have difficulty keeping up with me. :thumbsup2

That being said -- each "senior" has their own limitations and, as others have said here, may bring you to a Disney event that you may have walked by in the past. Enjoy. Life is short.

We took my MIL along with us last May. She's only 50 so it wasn't too rough on her. We made it all the way through the trip until the last day before there were any fights.. lol. Not bad.

My dad will be coming with us in December. It will be his first time and he's 76 years old. He's in great shape for that age. He still works part time (thinking of retiring right before the trip)... only recently have his knees started to bother him. If we need to, we'll get a scooter but I doubt he would do that.. just out of pride.

I'm 68 and my wife is 66 and we do pretty much everything that we've ever done! I particularly like to drink beer in Epcot and ride roller coasters like EE and RnR and I love MS. My wife had back surgery a couple of years ago and doesn't ride many simulator rides, but she likes the shows and likes to shop and drink wine. She loves to look at decorations during F&G and Christmas and loves to walk a lot

Oh. I still run an occasional marathon (like halfs better now though) although I am getting slower - may do the 10 mile ToT run during F&W.

Have a nice trip

Sounds somewhat like us. We are 68 and 62 and do virtually everything. Better than that, my 90 plus year old father-in-law does everything. He amazes even me!!!

We took my parents (both 70) with us last year. My dad said Sorin was the coolest ride he was ever on. We really involved the kids in showing them around. They loved being tour guides. My DS said he was going to sit by Grandma on Primeval Whirl so "she wouldn't be scared".

We are bringing my inlaws this year (75 and 80). The kids are very excited to show them around too. We let them pick the resort. They picked AKV. So, if they want to head back early, they can relax and watch the animals.

My dad will be coming with us in December. It will be his first time and he's 76 years old. He's in great shape for that age. He still works part time (thinking of retiring right before the trip)... only recently have his knees started to bother him. If we need to, we'll get a scooter but I doubt he would do that.. just out of pride.

This sounds just like my dad. He's 70 and retired, but he can walk for a while as long as we don't go too fast (my mom is 67 and appreciates this too). We'd be more than glad to get him a scooter to help him out, but like your dad, his pride would refuse it. :rolleyes: I was thinking of taking them to WDW the first week in December. My dad's last time in WDW was mid-late July of 1997, and it was HOT then. There also wasn't as much to do as there is now, so he's got bad memories of the place. My mom and I are trying our best to convert him. He would love "Soarin'" so much it's insane! Sure, many of us DISers notice the film being older and run down, but he'd be new to it, so that's what matters. :thumbsup2

My parents have gone every year with us. They just meet us there, though, and don't stay for all our days. They usually show up after lunch on Magic Kingdom day and then stay for one more day. Over the past 8 years, I've noticed they definitely have slowed down and needed to take a lot more breaks for themselves. Their knees just won't let them travel as fast as we tend to go!

When I plan our days with them, I minimize the trips back and forth across the park. If we have some rides on the opposite side of the park that I know they won't like, I plan something else for them. For example, if we need to run to Buzz and Space Mountain, they can sit and enjoy the Hall of Presidents. Then they slowly stroll over to meet us for Laugh Floor. They don't mind splitting up from us for a bit, though. It was really nice to split up when DD was younger. They could take her for face painting or the carousel while DH and I would hit the big rides.

My parents pretty much like any show, and those are good places for them to sit and cool off while we go on the rides! Their favorite thing to do is just watch DD enjoying the magic! They can't do anything spinny anymore, but they enjoy all the Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion, Small World sort of rides. Toy Story Mania is probably their favorite.

Have a fun trip!

I took my mom (82) for a week at F&W. I planned one day for each park with three visits to Epcot in between. I also planned a down day. She was bored with Epcot after the first day and asked to spend more time at AK. She loved the safari and the shows and just walking around watching the animals and plants. She enjoyed all the shows at all the parks. I had a great time as well just taking my time and seeing the surroundings. We took time to eat and did a lot of strolling. But she enjoyed all the classics too like Peter Pan and PotC. The middle day we slept late, walked around the resort, watched animals from the balcony, had a lite dinner and went to bed early. Then we were ready for RD the next day. We enjoyed the early mornings most of all but had our best chats on the bus rides to and fro. One of my best trips to WDW but my least exciting.

We've also done multigenerational trips and I agree that these are great fun when you let everyone go at their own pace. Let the kids spend time with the grandparents eating ice cream or watching a show while the parents run and do the thrill rides. Then let the parents run off with the kids to Dumbo while grandma and grandpa do the steamboat. Plenty for everyone to do.

We're taking my 87 year old mother with us to DL in the fall. Plan on just getting a light wheelchair for her and wheeling her when we want to go anywhere quickly or are trying to get through any sort of crowd. We'll have two kidlets in strollers and Nanny in the wheelchair. Should be great fun!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter