• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If you were building a new home, what would be your must haves?

My neighbor just redid their master bath and loved that the big double cabinet has no doors, no leaning down and under. It has deep drawers, auto close. At top they built small drawer that wrapped the plumbing for their toothbrush etc. She was think long term not having to lean and hunt. I would try to do the same plus in the kitchen as well.

Canned lights already installed wherever you think they would be good use.

Built in bench in shower. No tubs, all showers for accessibility.

All wide doorways and making it accessible for down the road if needed.

If there is a back porch or patio - SCREEN it in.

Love my under cabinet puck lights in kitchen, we added during kitchen renovation.

Kitchen island has a pop-up plug with outlets and USB ports.

Single level living for long term. Upstairs is fine if for guests or office. We have a FL home (vacation home at moment) and key was master on first floor. Upstairs has a second master and 3rd bedroom/office. While not an issue now, down the road we are in a great shape with fairly stepless living.

Last edited:
* LEVEL lot. Probably about 80-90% of our yard slopes to one degree or another. Makes it hard to "play".

I don't think that will be a problem for the OP in Florida. Is there a lot in the entire state that varies in elevation more than 5' from one end to the other?

One of the best things we did in our house was in the kitchen. Our cupboards on the bottom have all have the slide out shelves - so much easier when trying to dig for pans and containers in the back.

Not sure how you feel or plans for the bathroom but for ours we have a full size tub and stand up shower - the tub pretty much collects dust! My regret was having our master bath so big with that and the double sinks (would have just went for more counter top instead of two sinks since we don't stand in there together ever!) and our laundry room is on the otherside of the wall which we enter through. I wish my master bath was actually smaller and the laundry room larger. One thing I do really like is the cupboards in the laundry room above the washer and dryer to keep everything organized.

I have to disagree with this. Stairs can be a huge problem for people with mobility issues. Even a temporary circumstance--broken leg, knee replacement--can make those stairs impossible.
So much this! I LOVE two story houses, probably because I grew up in a one story. My dad and I now share a newly remodeled two story Victorian. He has back problems, so our number one consideration was a bedroom and full bath with walk-in shower on the ground floor. My room and bath are upstairs. But after my best friend's struggles with a broken leg in a third-floor walkup apartment, we also made sure there's enough room for a comfy bed-height airbed in Dad's room. If I were to break my leg, I'd just bunk in there while I healed.

Full house generator.

agree-best investment we ever did. if you don't want to go the full cost now-have the secondary electrical panel, gas line, and cement exterior slab at least put in (much cheaper to do it during vs. post construction).

We have outlets installed in the eves for Christmas lights.

interior dedicated switch for these (mine is inside the coat closet near front door). speaking of coat closet-many homes these days don't have them but i feel they are a must have.

Doorways & halls wide enough to accommodate a wheelchair.

bathroom designed with an eye for accommodations down the line as well-enough clearance for walker/wheelchair access, low profile or floor entry shower (the frameless shower doors that can open in or out vs. sliding can afford much more accessibility)...

other-

whole house surge protector (very inexpensive esp. if electrical is done at time of construction),

outlet INSIDE medicine cabinets (we use it for electric toothbrushes, shavers...keeps clutter off counters),

if island or peninsula with sink or dishwasher-consider the bottom cabinetry on both sides having doors that accesses plumbing (much easier to deal with repairs as well as accessing stuff that gets stored under there),

pull out/pop up shelf in one of the cabinets that can support a kitchen aide mixer if you have one (takes it up to counter height so you never have to lift the beast),

if you might want a water softener down the line-plumb house so it separates exterior water from interior for this (saves $$$ in not using softened water for watering lawn and such),

agree with extra outlets/water spigots on exterior. think about how far you would want/need to stretch a hose/electrical cord. it also helps having those electrical/water lines already in place for future landscaping.

ask insurance companies local to the build what items they give discounts for having-may only cost a little to do something during the build that can save you for decades in insurance.

I think our essential "extras" would be:
Full house generator

Main Floor Master and Laundry

Wide doorways and hallways for accessibility

Laundry room and Master closet connected

Comfortable outdoor spaces (depends on climate, area, etc)

Mud room with built ins

Kitchen garbage Drawer, and drawers inside lower cabinets

Dedicated Formal Dining room that would not be used as staging area for other things

Outlets in the floor of great room

Architectural interest - for example, not just 4 plain straight exterior walls

UV protectant window tint

Natural light inside the house

And finally, I don't know why I care so much about this but I like fully trimmed windows indoors and out and all the way around the house.

We are in the process of building right now (be patient!!! It's taking forever now). Our kids are in college so this is our 'empty nest house'. Finding a plan that has your main wants is so important and was more difficult than I thought it would be. Luckily our builder had one that was perfect with minor tweaks.

Then came the fun part. Our first concern was doing anything structural that we would not be able to later. We expanded the garage so it's deeper, expanded the primary bedroom and expanded the deck. Then we went into the kitchen and added all drawers to the base cabinets, under cabinet lighting and upgraded the walk-in pantry by adding counters and wood shelves. We also upgraded to solid core doors on all bedrooms and bathrooms and a nicer trim package. Then we upgraded flooring (nicer pad for the carpet and LVP everywhere else). After that we moved to bathrooms and upgraded all vanities to counter height. Since we still had money leftover we were able to upgrade all of the counter tops (except laundry) to solid surfaces. Most of that was not glamorous but way easier to do now. After that, we went to the ohh ahh stuff until we ran out of money.

One of the best things we did in our house was in the kitchen. Our cupboards on the bottom have all have the slide out shelves - so much easier when trying to dig for pans and containers in the back.

Not sure how you feel or plans for the bathroom but for ours we have a full size tub and stand up shower - the tub pretty much collects dust! My regret was having our master bath so big with that and the double sinks (would have just went for more counter top instead of two sinks since we don't stand in there together ever!) and our laundry room is on the otherside of the wall which we enter through. I wish my master bath was actually smaller and the laundry room larger. One thing I do really like is the cupboards in the laundry room above the washer and dryer to keep everything organized.

Yeah our master bath is as big as the secondary bedrooms. SUCH A WASTE. I would say most don't hang out in the bathroom, get it done and get out. We have a jacuzzi tub and if it weren't so expensive to remove, it be gone. We are doing some reno work so I'm building a wood shelf that blends over it and using for plants & flowers, some orchids, in beautiful china & pots I've collected. They'll get great light and moisture. Luckily my attached laundry is huge because we knocked out "eave" walls and found lots of open space, but love it's big with cabinets, folding counters etc. Now that room I'm in too long!

Three must haves would be:
- Comfort Height toilets with elongated bowl and soft close lids. Once you use them you will never go back.
- Tankless water heater. Specifically NAVIEN brand. I get nothing for the recommendation but I have had four bands of tankless in three different houses over the last 15 years and this one is the best. None are cheap (be concerned if they are) but it will last 15-20 years if you take care of it (annual flush with scale cleaner) and you can take a hot shower for as long as you like!
- Water softener. Have lived without one for the past year and hopefully will never have to do that again.

Good luck!

We have an open entertainment area but we also like to have 'rooms' for ourselves. We enclosed the porch, making it accessible to the LR, DR, Kitchen entertaining area via French doors and I took over the smaller bedroom as my reading room. We also have a family room beside the laundry area. The open area is nice for entertaining but separate areas are needed for TV watchers who like different shows.

My biggest gripe with our house is the odd size of the bedrooms. We have one room that is slightly off square (the most usable for furniture placement), a tiny little square (the one I took over), a long thin rectangle :rolleyes: and then a huge rectangle (which use to be the walkable attic). I which the three bedrooms could be more square and more equal in size.

Three must haves would be:
- Comfort Height toilets with elongated bowl and soft close lids. Once you use them you will never go back.
- Tankless water heater. Specifically NAVIEN brand. I get nothing for the recommendation but I have had four bands of tankless in three different houses over the last 15 years and this one is the best. None are cheap (be concerned if they are) but it will last 15-20 years if you take care of it (annual flush with scale cleaner) and you can take a hot shower for as long as you like!
- Water softener. Have lived without one for the past year and hopefully will never have to do that again.

Good luck!

HUGE ONE! YES! When our tank in FL broke it was an emergency and even though I wanted tankless, we didn't have budget unplanned. Next one will def be tankless.

You have a lot of good suggestions. So many things are easier and cheaper to do while the house is being built instead of trying to add it afterwards. We had out house built in 1999 and I wish we could have afforded to make a few more upgrades to the electric.
Ceiling lights installed in each closet, even the hall linen closet.
An alarm system
Outlets with USB ports would be nice.
Under cabinets lights.

We purchased a piece of land in a 55+ community in Florida and we are heading down next week to do our design meeting to pick out all the stuff for the house. We have the ability to move walls, do stretches to the entire house, basically, anything we want. (Wel, my wallet may disagree with that last statement

this is our 1st time building and hopefully our last time moving so I want to get it right.

is there anything that your home doesn’t have that you wish it did or something that it has that you are so happy it does?

any advise is welcomed but looking for inexpensive add ons that would be difficult or expensive to add later. Thanks!

list so far.
Cabinets all the way around the island. (No pantry in our floor plan)
Gas line Spicket (probably not the right word) in back for the grill
1 outlet plug on each exterior wall
An outlet plug on the center of the living room wall for the tv
Garbage can holder in kitchen cabinets
Long thin window at the top of the master shower for light
Windows in garage door

Since it's 55+ living, I would outfit this as a fully mobility-compliant home. When we were doing my mom's house when she was sick, you can't imagine all the stuff that would be helpful and/or needed. I did my bathroom for her that way for when she would visit, but she never got to use it, but I'm very thankful now that if any of my kids ever breaks a leg or has surgery, I have a bathroom that can be used.

In the bathroom, we have a shower grab bar (fully installed and weighted to 500lbs, b/c you want a LOT of ability for someone to grip without worrying it will snap off due to shoddy install or not enough pressure enabled), an incredibly low entry to the shower, a detachable shower head, room for a stool, a custom window seat storage bench (not in view of the shower) if someone needs help or to be observed in the shower (or someone just needs to sit down to dress), a bar for the toilet, a wide door opening for the bathroom and the shower (with a custom open out shower door), etc.

I would stick to one floor living. I would have wide door ways and no carpet. I would get a disability building expert to come give you even more ideas. I only outfitted my bath, but I've thought about the rest of my house for me b/c I'm not moving...

Main floor gets a half bath, that's it. All bedrooms, full baths, and laundry upstairs. Downstairs is guest space, upstairs is family space.

I have to disagree, especially given the ages of the OPs. It is wise to think ahead and be prepared as we age. First floor should have at minimum one bedroom, or an office room with closet that could easily convert to being a bedroom... and one full bathroom (can be a smallish walk-in shower rather than a tub).

If you are building, you have the flexibility to build smart. One never knows when they may experience a mobility issue, especially as we age. It is easier to plan ahead than to have to remodel during what might be a difficult time. My parents' home had only a half bath and living/dining/kitchen spaces on the first floor, bedrooms and full bathrooms on second floor. Unfortunately, my father (who had always been very healthy and active) suffered a sudden, debilitating stroke. When he was eventually able to move back home, all bedroom furniture needed to be moved downstairs into the former living room (which had no door, so no privacy at all), and the half-bath needed to be remodeled to install a shower, because he cannot navigate stairs.

As for other things we like about our home and would recommend...

Tile or waterproof LVP throughout the ground floor is nice to have. You can use area rugs to soften rooms and to help define spaces within an open concept design. If there are spills or water damages for any reason, it is an easy clean up and no worries about replacing damaged flooring.

We absolutely love our large, covered, screened-in lanai. We spend a lot of time out there, for morning coffee, dining, reading, etc.. Prior owners even had a tv & sound system installed on the lanai.

Ceiling fan/light combinations in almost every room, including bedrooms. Even with a good HVAC system, there are times a ceiling fan is desirable to circulate the air.

Plenty of closet and storage spaces throughout the home. We really like having a pantry for food storage, along with hall closets, dedicated linen closets, and large closets (for clothing and storage) in each bedroom. If you will have a space under the stairs, also have this accessible designed for storage use -- don't allow any space to go to waste.

Separate HVAC systems and controls for each floor of the home. We have a second floor flat over the garage, where our adult son currently lives. He has his own HVAC system and controls for his living area, and we have our own separate HVAC and controls for the first floor. Makes life so much easier since we each can control the temps in our own living areas.

If you will have lawn irrigation, pay close attention to where lines are installed! Keep the lines closest to the home out from under the soffit/roof overhang. Speaking from experience. We bought an existing home and did not realize the line on the side facing neighbors' home was located under the soffit. Prior owner had also placed pop-up sprinkler heads on instead of stationary heads. Long story short... a pop-up head failed and the water shot up through the soffit and over the wall into the crawlspace causing ceiling collapses and major water damages to the tune of $35,000. All could have been avoided if the irrigation line had been located a few inches further from the house so as not to be under the roof overhang.

I recently moved to Florida. I suspect you might be moving into the same community. Many of the features people have mentioned are already included in the designs. One thing that wasn't included or I have seen not included in new homes are appliances. They can be hard to get. I wanted Speed Queen laundry machines, but they weren't available at any retailer when I moved in. I've seen houses close without a refrigerator or stove.

Things that aren't included, but a lot of people add on after they move in:

Whole house water filter - I did this on closing day.
Water softener - I will probably be doing this.
Stairs to attic- I probably won't do this as I don't need the room.
Gutters - On my to do list.
Lightning rod - On my to do list.
Outdoor kitchen - I don't have enough room on the lanai to do this.
Driveway and/or lanai seal

I bought my house as a spec home, so I didn't have any say in the design. Things in my house that I like:

Separate laundry room vs having it in a walkway to the garage.
Lots of windows. I have two long stacked sliders which let in a lot of light even though they face north.
One of the secondary bedrooms was stretched so that I can just barely fit in 2 full beds.
Third bathroom
Zero entry shower
White (with some pattern) quartz countertops
Tile backsplash to match counters and cabinets
Cabinets are painted, not wood grain
Pool - it is taking over a year for people to have a pool built because of the demand

Things I wish had been done:

Stretched living room. The living room has the door to the master at one of the corners , so the dimensions are only about 9x12.
Overhead lighting in the living room and bedrooms.
Natural gas hookup for BBQ
Spa in the pool

Things I don't like:

The neighbor has a generator that is placed a few feet from my bedroom. If you're going to put one in, please put it in your garage. It's incredibly loud and the last thing I need when the A/C is out and my white noise machine doesn't work is lots of noise when I'm trying to sleep.

You have a lot of good suggestions. So many things are easier and cheaper to do while the house is being built instead of trying to add it afterwards. We had out house built in 1999 and I wish we could have afforded to make a few more upgrades to the electric.
Ceiling lights installed in each closet, even the hall linen closet.
An alarm system
Outlets with USB ports would be nice.
Under cabinets lights.

I see the USB ports mentioned a few times here and we did that 5 years ago when we remodeled our kitchen and I would not do that again. Those ports did not have enough power to charge our new phones/devices and are now useless. I think they were 2.0 and now phones used 3.0 and 4.0. We are not adding anything like that to our new house. Technology changes so quickly!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter