If you were doing RESORT ONLY, where would you stay?

If that's what you like, by all means enjoy. I do have to wonder though, how many other resorts you've had experience with beyond WDW. If you remove the proximity to parks from the equation, even the deluxe resorts cannot compare with many, many other locations in terms of service, amenities, dining, rooms, etc, to say nothing of the inflated prices. IMO, the only justification for that premium is found because of proximity to the parks. Currently, the only resort in the bubble which can objectively stand alone would be Four Seasons.

Ha! Good question :) I have plenty of resort/hotel experience under my belt, all over the place. We enjoy the resorts because of the "other things", the cast members, the no-need-to-drive-once-you-park-you-car-at-your-home-airport, the general vibe.

I always feel like I am on a business trip when we stay at any other hotel. Disney hotels feels like vacation to me. I can truly relax there. I know it is not the same for everyone. :)

I am also the person who, when we do have a parks-centered vacation, I like to get in the park and....sit on a bench and people watch. My definition of "getting my monies worth" is vastly different than most peoples. I am ok with that :)

I know I have said it on here before, but my perfect day at WDW is waking up early, watching the sunrise, and then swimming, mini golfing, eating, drinking, shopping, bowling my day away, then watching the sunset.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I WOULD stay on the Monorail Loop, and my choice would be The Polynesian.

To start with, the resort is awesome. The pools are great and the restaurants are fantastic! You also have the beach to hang out at. Yes, some see the Castle in the distance and find it torturous, however, in my opinion, it adds to the experience and lets me know I'm not just at "a hotel", I'm at a Walt Disney World Resort. Also, how can you NOT want to watch the fireworks from that beach. Also, you are a monorail ride away fro the Grand Floridian and the Contempo. Both offer outstanding dining options and great bars as well. Of course, you have your buses to hop over to Disney Springs, and you are also close to all of the Walt Disney World Golf Courses if you are into that. You can also take the monorail to the Contempo, jump on a boat to Fort Wilderness and enjoy the activities over there! Three words: Hoop dee Doo!

If the reason for just doing the resort without the parks is to save money, the Polynesian doesn’t seem very budget friendly.

I bet she could book a week at a moderate resort with park tickets for less than a week at the Polynesian without the parks.

How about a resort-only stay at Fort Wilderness Cabins? There are lots of activities at that resort to keep you busy. It would be like camping with Mickey, only with air conditioning!

How about a resort-only stay at Fort Wilderness Cabins? There are lots of activities at that resort to keep you busy. It would be like camping with Mickey, only with air conditioning!

Ha! Fort Wilderness is DEFINITELY on my list - we spend a good chunk of time there on these types of vacations. Hanging on the beach, in the stables, at the restaurants, playing checkers, etc.

I am going to price it out :)

PS - Apparently the bug has bitten my husband, too. He called me at lunch and said "I was perusing the DIS and noticed your thread...". He only visits the DIS when we have a trip planned or he is jonesing for a trip..

:)

What about a Disney Springs resort? The Hilton Buena Vista Palace was recently renovated with an amazing pool with a lazy river. You're a super short walk to Disney Springs and all the great restaurants, shopping and entertainment there. HBVP will be the same price or cheaper than a moderate for many more amenities and much bigger rooms.

I could stay a week at the Beach Club or the Polynesian, and never step foot in the parks. The pool at the BC, and atmosphere of the Poly is a vacation in itself. Do a split between the two!

If that's what you like, by all means enjoy. I do have to wonder though, how many other resorts you've had experience with beyond WDW. If you remove the proximity to parks from the equation, even the deluxe resorts cannot compare with many, many other locations in terms of service, amenities, dining, rooms, etc, to say nothing of the inflated prices. IMO, the only justification for that premium is found because of proximity to the parks. Currently, the only resort in the bubble which can objectively stand alone would be Four Seasons.
I had the same thought. You’re paying luxury prices for something that, frankly, isn’t actually luxurious. Mix it up and explore somewhere new with cushier digs or for less $$. Especially considering you have to fly down from Minnesota!

Four Seasons would be my vote as well if Orlando is your only option.

We've had 7 night resort only stays at CBR (2), BC, and BWI. We thoroughly enjoyed all of them. In March we're doing another at AKL. Whichever you choose, I hope you have a blast. Resort only stays are so much fun.

I agree with others about it being hard not to go to the parks while being on property. But I'll add the option of Fort Wilderness. There's tons to do there: horseback riding, campfire story time with characters, the Hoop Dee Do Musical Review and much more. The cabins are great. They sleep 6 and are very affordable. The property also is a nice walk from Wilderness Lodge where you can see the geyser.

If you're looking for something less "rustic" then I'd suggest Boardwalk. It's an attraction in itself. You can see the nightly fireworks, play carnival games, get funnel cakes and taffy, go to two music venues and more. They also have a great pool and arcade. You can quickly walk (or boat) to Yacht and Beach for their awesome character breakfast and ice cream shop.

I have done park free visits for long weekends (like four nights or so), even though I have an AP. My favorite is WL. I prefer the resort experience to the FW cabin experience (although I have enjoyed the cabins) but I'm close enough to enjoy all the campground has to offer. Being a local, the theme and landscaping make me feel like I am miles away from Florida so it feels like I've gone somewhere other than my own backyard (which is what a weekend at the beach feels like). I would think that AKL would offer a similar vibe, but I like to be on the water so I'm not a huge AKL fan.

I wouldn't pay the prices for Disney resorts if I weren't going to the parks.

Are you local? Why not buy tickets? If you're not going to the parks, I would go elsewhere. The Four Seasons, Waldorf-Astoria, the Ritz in a club room would be nice, especially if you're spending a lot of time at the resort. These are much nicer resorts.

You could also look at renting a condo on redweek.com. I'm biased towards Marriott, since I own there. There are several that can be rented from owners quite reasonably, and you'd have a full kitchen, room to spread out, and wonderful themed pools depending on which one you chose.

BC or YC for the pool and the Boardwalk or the Fort (however I've heard the pool there gets crazy in the summer-I've only been in the fall though so I can't speak from experience)

We've had 7 night resort only stays at CBR (2), BC, and BWI. We thoroughly enjoyed all of them. In March we're doing another at AKL. Whichever you choose, I hope you have a blast. Resort only stays are so much fun.

They really are! Disney offers SO much outside of the parks, and it always feels like NOBODY else knows about them - it's so quiet, relaxed, and happy!

I wouldn't pay the prices for Disney resorts if I weren't going to the parks.

Are you local? Why not buy tickets? If you're not going to the parks, I would go elsewhere. The Four Seasons, Waldorf-Astoria, the Ritz in a club room would be nice, especially if you're spending a lot of time at the resort. These are much nicer resorts.

You could also look at renting a condo on redweek.com. I'm biased towards Marriott, since I own there. There are several that can be rented from owners quite reasonably, and you'd have a full kitchen, room to spread out, and wonderful themed pools depending on which one you chose.

Definitely not local - frozen tundra here. I don't really want to go to a "high end" hotel to relax...it feels very business like. I like (excuse the word, I hate it) whimsy. No need for a full kitchen; eating out is a treat I reserve for vacation :) And, we aren't really a family that likes spreading out. We all congregate to the same place, all the time. The pool thing is of interest to me, though, as we spend a good chunk of time swimming!

I am not trying to be snarky on here, promise. We just know that we love WDW resort-only vacations, and I will gladly pay the steeper prices to obtain it. My definition of value is definitely different than a lot of peoples :)

I will say, though, prices around HERE are pretty steep, too, so typically I weigh out a vacation to...the north shore, or the Mall of America area, and the prices are the same, minus airfare. I typically have free airfare to use, though, so it becomes a wash at points!

I am doing what is supposed to be a Resort only trip...we leave in 14 days and slight changes already started!! We all have AP so with Festival of the Arts going on...we decided we would go eat,walk around and check it out once or twice. The rest is supposed to be hanging and relaxing in the warmth (compared to NY, FLA is much warmer this time of year even though floridians might not agree!). Plus like someone else pointed out the Poly is such a beautiful place, you want to hang out. We will ride the monorail, resort hop to shop and eat, stuff we never seem to do when we do a park visit!

Everybody's needs are different, enjoy what you know your family will like!!! Good luck on sale of house as well!!!

I would pick Yacht of Beach. The pool is awesome, they have nice restaurants and a great ice cream shop. Plus, you have the Boardwalk right there and could enjoy the entertainment at night.

The rest is supposed to be hanging and relaxing in the warmth (compared to NY, FLA is much warmer this time of year even though floridians might not agree!).

Well, funny you should say! I live in Fl and can attest to the fact that it's frequently in the 30's here at night, so if I want to relax in the "warmth" and just kick back, I'm taking that cash and going to Hawaii. upload_2018-2-2_9-52-30.png

I don't understand people who are suggesting that the OP go elsewhere. The OP didn't ask for alternatives to Disney, she asked where people like to stay at Disney on non park trips, which plenty of people do, esp. DVC owners.

Lots of good suggestions have already been made, but another option would be SSR which is walking distance to Disney Springs, so you'd have very easy access to all the new great dining options. Someone mentioned Old Key West which has the boat option to Disney Springs as well, which is a nice way to get there without the hassle of driving or the bus. Fort Wilderness might be best simply for all the other activities that are available.

Minnesota, I should have looked at your screen name, LOL!

I understand the desire for the cute Disney touches better now. But if I were staying at the Yacht or Beach Club, I'd die not being able to walk into Epcot. Maybe you can look for some magical deal with a travel agency, and if you find a good deal be able to tack on tickets? I do think if you have young kids, the pool there is a huge draw (I prefer to hang by the quiet pools more often if I swim, but Stormalong Bay is a huge draw to lots of folks). Or look at Pop Century (I actually adore that resort too), as the rooms are nice and redone with queen beds), and you could factor in the savings for tickets? It runs 1/3 the cost of a deluxe.

Personally I would do Boardwalk, Beach Club or Yacht Club. It's like it's own little city along with Swan and Dolphin to visit. Plus the first three I mentioned have amazing pools, lots of shopping in the area and depending on room, you MAY get to see illuminations if it's possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter