If you were single , what is the youngest person you would date?

Well I AM single so....

I dated someone (briefly) 5 years younger than me when I was in my 20's. I was 24 he was 19.

I had a random "moment" with an acquaintance that was 11 years younger than me. Me mid-40's him mid-30's.

I honestly can't imagine myself dating again if anything should happen to DH, but if I was, I don't think I'd put an age limit on who I'd be willing to see. I think I'd have so many other hard "no"s that age would be the least of my concerns. From what I've seen, men that are available at my age (40) aren't exactly the cream of the crop and a lot of them come with baggage that I wouldn't be interested in dealing with, like ex-wives and minor children.

I'm a girl, &, although it's old-fashioned, I can't help it, I prefer the guy I'm dating/marrying to be older than I am.

DH is 6 months older than I am.

I don't know.... I guess, if I were dating again, I'd consider 5 years or so younger than I am... maybe.

I like Floridaman999's answer - It depends on what I'm dating them for.

I would date up to 10 years younger or older, but most likely I'd stay within 5 years. My DH is 4 1/2 years younger than me. I can honestly say that amount of age difference has not been an issue. He was 24 when we met, had we been younger it might have been problematic, but once you're both fully adults it's pretty even. It never really occurred to me I'd marry someone younger, but there was never any reason not to get to know him and end up with him.

I watch reality tv and on shows like 90 day fiance where you have women in their 50's wanting to have children because of their 20 year old "fiances" it gets a bit ridiculous though. There's a point when you're not in the same life stage. (ignoring all the other obvious issues with that particular scenario!)

Last edited:
I honestly can't imagine myself dating again if anything should happen to DH, but if I was, I don't think I'd put an age limit on who I'd be willing to see. I think I'd have so many other hard "no"s that age would be the least of my concerns. From what I've seen, men that are available at my age (40) aren't exactly the cream of the crop and a lot of them come with baggage that I wouldn't be interested in dealing with, like ex-wives and minor children.

I have completely agreed with your posts in both the older and younger dating threads. As I stated in the other thread my husband is 11 years older than I am, He is 60 and I am 49. Age had nothing to do with it - we were 34 and 45 at the time we met, but our beliefs, backgrounds, etc are really a very good match. I always think part another key for us is that neither of us had children from a previous relationship. Not having those issues was good (in our eyes, at least). We do not have children together either.

If something were to happen to my husband I too am not sure I would date. Maybe if I found someone that I was very compatible with, but as I grow older I have less and less patience for dealing with baggage or various other issues that can arise in a relationship.

I am 41 - if I were single, the youngest I would probably date is 38, but wouldn't hesitate to date considerably older.

When I was 20, I wouldn't date anyone under 30.

When I turned 40, I was already married, but if were dating then, I would have upped the age limit to 35.

If I were single at my current age (nunya) I'd avoid anyone under 40.

I am single, and the youngest age I would prefer to date is 48. Men are so much less mature than women, so I need to date a man at least 10 years older than me to compensate for the difference...just kidding :) I just seem to be attracted to men 10-20 years older than me.

Plus, I'm at an awkward age to be single--it seems like single men my age (38) either want to start having babies (not happening!), or they don't want kids (which is a problem because I have 2 kids).

I'm 63. I'd have to check their tax return to verify their age, and then the answer might vary.

Seriously though, my dad remarried at 52 and his wife was 38. All was well at that time, but when he developed emphysema in his mid 60's and died at 71, the age difference which didn't seem all that huge was suddenly very huge. I know that could happen at any age, but it does seem to enter into the equation more at an older age.

My SIL married her second husband at 35 a 20 year difference in age and now he's 78 and she's 58 its all starting to happen, He was always way older than his age and now its pretty evident that she wants out

In real life, I'm happily married to someone only 3 months younger than me.

But hypothetically, I just reversed the formula from the other thread (about how old a person you would date) and based on my kid's age, it gave me 33. :eek:

I just can't see it. That's a completely different life stage.

My "baby" brother is 4 years younger than me, and I think I see that as the limit of people who are "my age". (Oddly, I have no problem being friends with people of any age. It's just romance that would seen strange.)

Last edited:
I just realized, I never dated a guy younger than me. Always older, and my husband is the oldest of all my dating history at 8 years. The only time we notice any difference is when we challenge on 80's music. I relate to elementary, middle, and high school. His recollection is high school and college. But we started at work at our company 1 week apart so we are very similar on that path. No one ever sees us as a huge age gap couple. You can't really tell as he looks a lot younger. (and acts sometimes too. lol)

Anyway...

I can't see myself dating anyone I couldn't have gone to high school with, so it couldn't be more than 4 years younger. Even when I went out with friends from the gym that were younger it was crazy to me that they went bonkers for a 90's song they loooved back in the 8th grade when I was in college. (Seriously, I don't know how my husband dated me. That age gap when you are the older one is weird.)

Half my age (51) plus 7 gives me a boy of 32.5 years old. that is almost 20 years younger than me!!! Yeah, no. I think 45. 44 if he was super fun.

I think it’s more of a stage-of-life issue than actual age. Where I am right now I could go as much as 10 years younger and still be pretty compatible. When I was 26 though, I dated a guy who was 22. I had been independent since age 18, had a good toe-hold in my career and owned a home. He had just finished university and was on his own for the first time. Honestly, there were times it seemed more like babysitting than dating and I ended it fairly quickly. (In fairness, I must say I knew at the time it didn’t have much of a shot, but he was the hottest boyfriend I ever had :tongue: and it turns out I’m pretty shallow that way.) :o

Last edited:
I’m 45 and I’ve never had much interest in men younger than me, so I don’t think I’d go much less than my age...maybe 42 or 43?

I do not think I would be interested in dating if my spouse were no longer in the picture but if I were it would be about life stages more than age. Half plus 7 takes me to mid 30s but I would simply not be interested in someone who was still raising young children and competing for growth in his career. I would be more interested in someone at my own stage of life-starting to have grandchildren, children who are financially independent of me and financially comfortable myself-so no younger than late 40s-probably more like 50s.

You know all these "who would you date" threads.....guess what at my age and stage in life I probably won't date. And if I ever did date it's just for food, possibly a drink, great conversation but NOOOOO hanky panky! That just wouldn't be pretty. :hyper2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter