If your a nurse do you do this in front of patients?

dclpluto

DIS Veteran
This morning I was the hungriest I have ever been in my life. Waiting to get my colonoscopy. In the bed the doctor said it will be a while one doctor was behind. Than my doctor had one patient ahead of me. So I’m waiting in the bed took a hour and 20 minutes for them to be ready for me. The whole time the nurses are talking about food. What they had for dinner last night. What they are having for dinner tonight. Talking about thanksgiving food. Do you nurses think about your patients when your talking about food. Many of them probably hungry or on a restricted diet. Tried to take a nap but they were too loud. In other news great job you nurses are doing especially at this time. Maybe think about your patients when you talk about food. Lol

This morning I was the hungriest I have ever been in my life. Waiting to get my colonoscopy. In the bed the doctor said it will be a while one doctor was behind. Than my doctor had one patient ahead of me. So I’m waiting in the bed took a hour and 20 minutes for them to be ready for me. The whole time the nurses are talking about food. What they had for dinner last night. What they are having for dinner tonight. Talking about thanksgiving food. Do you nurses think about your patients when your talking about food. Many of them probably hungry or on a restricted diet. Tried to take a nap but they were too loud. In other news great job you nurses are doing especially at this time. Maybe think about your patients when you talk about food. Lol
Wow

I would presume that the nurses meant nothing at all by it, and were simply engaging in some random chit - chat as we all have done at work...

Add me to the list of ladies with husbands eating while they were in labor!!!! I don't hold it against him, it is something we joked about then and now!

I am a nurse but I don’t work in face to face patient care anymore but on the phone so it wouldn’t be a situation I would get into any more.

I agree with the previous poster that it was problem just random chit chat and not done in purpose even though they should have been more thoughtful what they were discussing ,

Not a nurse but my mom (who I explicitly told not to come until called) showed up out of nowhere when I was in labor with my oldest and plopped her Burger King on the foot of my bed. I hadn’t eaten in more than twenty hours. The nurse said my blood pressure shot up immediately and offered to throw her out for me. I saved her the trouble and threw her out myself.

I wouldn't care at all. I think it is silly to let them talking about food bother you.

Think about your patients? I don't think you understand how hard nurses work for their patients.
I mean...I think it's about professionalism... do you have side conversations and chit chat with your coworkers in front of clients, customers, students, etc.? I don't really care what the topic is, but I do think it's unprofessional to be having personal conversations in front of patients or the like.

Not a nurse, but an SLP. I never worry too much about food talk, but I make it a point to never eat or drink food not available to my patients in front of them. So if one of my patients invites me to have coffee during a session, I use the facility coffee in a facility cup, not a latte from the coffee shop. If that patient is on thickened liquids, I have thickened my coffee as well--mostly with patients who have dementia. Sometimes people have it so ingrained not to eat in front of others that the easiest way to observe them eating a meal is to bring out two plates of pureed food and thickened liquids, and eat together. It's rare, but I've done it more than once with patients who repeatedly refuse to eat in front of me thinking that would be rude.

I mean...I think it's about professionalism... do you have side conversations and chit chat with your coworkers in front of clients, customers, students, etc.? I don't really care what the topic is, but I do think it's unprofessional to be having personal conversations in front of patients or the like.

I heard about what happened with volunteers working for Mother Teresa in Calcutta. The volunteers were well fed, but they were never allowed to eat in the presence of the people they were caring for.

But as for nurses - I've seen quite a few engage in chit chat with patients. Some asking about the patients, but I've heard some really personal stuff about nurses too.

Not a nurse but my mom (who I explicitly told not to come until called) showed up out of nowhere when I was in labor with my oldest and plopped her Burger King on the foot of my bed. I hadn’t eaten in more than twenty hours. The nurse said my blood pressure shot up immediately and offered to throw her out for me. I saved her the trouble and threw her out myself.

Are we related? When I was in labor with my first, I foolishly invited my mom to be there. At first she was bored (sorry I'm not laboring faster!), so she left and visited some shrine. When she came back, I was in active labor--she wouldn't stop talking about the stupid shrine. I finally told her to can it, and she turned to my DH, and started telling HIM all about the shrine! Then she went out, bought chicken, brought it back, and ate it in my room, all the while talking about how delicious it was. At this point, I'd been in labor for 11 hours, had thrown up twice, and was incredibly nauseous from the smell of her chicken. So glad I invited you, Mom!

She wasn't invited to my subsequent births.

This.

There are several things that bother me, as it relates to dental/doctor visits. I would have been super annoyed with this as well.
I was having my teeth cleaned yesterday, and i was next to “loud talkers” in an adjoining exam room. To me-it adds a layer of stress.

And yes, I sometimes manage to sit by “loud talkers” on flights. My daughter refuses to sit close to me on flights.

It wouldn't bother me at all. I have gone months on liquids only due to Crohn's disease and I become obsessed with food network, lol. I work in a professional office and we do not eat in front of clients unless it's a formal client lunch or dinner.

My DH put on the Food Network while I was in the hospital delivering my youngest. I had not eaten for about 18 hrs at that point. I was not amused. I completely sympathize.
My husband went and got a meatball sub and ate it in my hospital room when I was having my first. My OB made him leave. I have to remember to bring a snack for after colonoscopies, they ar3 20 minutes from home and I’m always ravenous. When I gave birth to #3 at 3 am, my mom planned on being there, she was in charge of my post birth bagel (a tradition). I labored for 31 hours, no food. She forgot it.

Reminds of the time I was having surgery to remove a pin from a previous broken elbow. They gave me an axillary (sp?) block, so I was out most of the time. But i did sort of become aware at ne point and the doctors and nurses were talking about ordering pizza. So I chimed in asking them to save me a piece. I think I startled them.

Add me to the list of ladies with husbands eating while they were in labor!!!! I don't hold it against him, it is something we joked about then and now!

My husband brought in McDonalds while I was in labor. I had been in the hospital for 2 days, on a liquid diet for 24 hours and 12 hours in with no food/water at that point. I'm not sure, even nearly 27 years later, that I could joke about it.

This is what I was also thinking. About 3 years ago I was getting a tooth filling and the dentist and assistant were both young women who had just come back to work from maternity leave; one's baby was 2 months old and the other's was 3 months old. While they carried out the work for the filling, they spent the whole time talking nonchalantly about breast pumps and how often they did their pumping (and how one needed to pump as soon as they were done with me), and since the filling was in an upper tooth the assistant was seated behind my head and leaned forward with chest about 6 inches in front of my eyes. I thought to myself yeah it's a natural thing and I can be mature about this and never said anything, but it sure was awkward.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter