If you're not going to Disney, where have you decided to go?

lynnfitz

DIS Veteran
HI, just back from 8 nights at Disney, and 3 at Universal. We've been going about the last 10 years or so-I rent DVC points, so try to change it up a little every year. Anyway, my DH and DS are now suggesting trying somewhere else next summer. I know there has been a lot of discussion of Disney's cost, loss of perks etc., so if you are not going to Disney, suggestions of where to go? First we thought TN and maybe Dollywood, but we do love the large rooms at DVC, and the "resort" feel. I don't want to be in the pool, and have the parking lot as a view, lol! Just wondering what folks are doing if they aren't heading to the mouse?

My other thought was to stay in the area, but do Discovery Cove, Seaworld, and maybe other places.

HI, just back from 8 nights at Disney, and 3 at Universal. We've been going about the last 10 years or so-I rent DVC points, so try to change it up a little every year. Anyway, my DH and DS are now suggesting trying somewhere else next summer. I know there has been a lot of discussion of Disney's cost, loss of perks etc., so if you are not going to Disney, suggestions of where to go? First we thought TN and maybe Dollywood, but we do love the large rooms at DVC, and the "resort" feel. I don't want to be in the pool, and have the parking lot as a view, lol! Just wondering what folks are doing if they aren't heading to the mouse?

My other thought was to stay in the area, but do Discovery Cove, Seaworld, and maybe other places.

Discovery Cove is certainly a great treat!! We've been about 6 times, and only once did the dolphin experience as we enjoy the resort day and snorkeling. You can also look at a SW/Discovery ticket bundle and get your monies worth because you aren't doing the other parks. They have bundles that include Aquatica, Sea World and Busch Gardens. If you aren't feeling it, it is a great opportunity to explore your other options in the area guilt free. One year we did two days at Busch Gardens and loved it but we like coasters and animals.

Great choice! We were looking at the Tampa Zoo-we're not big coaster people at all, so I thought maybe the zoo, and I think Tampa has an aquarium? My concern is the resort, we're use to DVC 1 and 2 bedrooms, and also we've stayed at the Grand Vista and HGVC a few years back. No matter where we end up, just want to be happy with the resort as well as the attractions.

We are taking a road trip to Tennessee this fall to visit family and friends.
We are planning on another road trip to Arizona to see family and to take a trip to So.CAl. and maybe do DL(never been there). There is so much to see and do at other places, so can't wait.

Wow, good for you! Cali did cross my mind, was at DL when I was a little kid (many years ago, lol). I'm just not great on long plane flights (we live in NY). There is so much to see out in California-

I've decided to stay at home. I'm tired of having to mask-up and the lack of value at WDW and stripping down of the parades and things has left me unenthused about going anywhere. (To be fair I have a beach within 6 blocks, so it's not like I don't have a built in vacation at home.)

We canceled a Sept long weekend at WDW and will be going camping instead. That's the first thing we did last summer after those months of doing nothing at home. We live in NC so we're headed to the mountains. We've found that camping is just about the safest way to 'vacation'. We certainly have none of the concerns we did about flying and being around crowds.

Wow, good for you! Cali did cross my mind, was at DL when I was a little kid (many years ago, lol). I'm just not great on long plane flights (we live in NY). There is so much to see out in California-

Why not take a trip within your own state for a change Or the next state . ?

There must be a theme park within these states & Good Hotels ?

Spend some time finding places via google earth or google maps

First we thought TN and maybe Dollywood, but we do love the large rooms at DVC, and the "resort" feel.
We like Wyndham Smoky Mountains; I’ve stayed there several times. Rooms are even more spacious than DVC villas, there are views from many rooms. It’s easy to get to Dollywood via Veterans Blvd from there (no Parkway traffic!) The pool is no great shakes, but Dolly’s Splash Country is a fine water park and a combo pass is inexpensive. The National Park has some great hiking and you avoid the bulk of traffic to there via Veterans and the Bypass.

https://clubwyndham.wyndhamdestinat...ssee/sevierville/club-wyndham-smoky-mountains
I’ve also stayed at Bluegreen’s MountainLoft. It’s much more convenient to the National Park, but I don’t like the rooms as much.

However, I second the Hawaii idea. We just got back.

What had a a 10 day trip planned for WDW for the 50th and our 30th. We bailed some time ago and rebooked everything for same dates going to Hawaii and Maui instead (and saving $). Chances are good that we'll go again next year, next summer we're looking to take 3-4 weeks in our motohome, destination as of yet is unknown - but no plans for Disney on the radar.

If you love "resort" feel, just take a stroll through RCI/Wyndham's timeshare portfolios and you'll know the locations which might provide you the same:)...

We often go to Hilton Head in our off Disney years. It is a more laid back relaxing vacation. Enough to do in the area to keep us busy for a week though.

We were looking forward to Disney in March 2022, but are now rethinking that and may go yo HHI again instead. I'm not sure we are going to be comfortable in the parks yet by then, and HHI provides a much more comfortable getaway in terms of social distancing and precautions.

We were actually looking at Hilton Head, or Disney's vero beach., Good suggestion on looking through the timeshare portfolios, thank you!

Tennessee can be a ton of fun. Have done Gatlinburg for vacations a few times. They have a nice aquarium there, Dollywood is a great park as well, and lots of other activities to do. Plus excellent trails to hike along too if you enjoy the outdoors. As for room size, you can often find good deals on cabins to rent so can still have tons of space. Most have grills and hot tubs as well, some of the larger ones will include pools, billiards tables, etc in them as well.

For Florida, I agree with others about doing a SeaWorld package ticket with all 4 parks.You can fill up a lot of time with those having a big day with Discovery Cove and then go around to SeaWorld, Aquatica, and Busch Gardens. We are planning a similar trip for next year after doing Universal this fall.

We were looking at the Tampa Zoo-we're not big coaster people at all, so I thought maybe the zoo, and I think Tampa has an aquarium?
Consider getting a Tampa Bay CityPASS. For a reasonable price, it includes:
  • Busch Gardens Tampa Bay
  • The Florida Aquarium - smaller animals in exhibits but very nicely done, good kids' splash pad included
  • ZooTampa at Lowry Park - love this zoo(!), large African & Asian animals & primates, train/tram ride past exhibits, splash pads, kiddie rides all included, feed the smaller tropical birds (fee $)
  • Clearwater Marine Aquarium - larger rescue animals in exhibits, dock for good boat tours (fee $)
  • Museum of Science & Industry OR The Tropics Boat Tours Dolphin or Sunset Cruise
Our DS/DDIL & family live in Tampa so we visit regularly. Besides the above sightseeing, our favorite places to go in the area include the quiet, natural white sand beaches at Fort DeSoto State Park (fun to explore too) and Honeymoon Island State Park (picnic, beach, good shelling, fun ferry ride to Caladesi Island's deserted beaches for a fee $). Clearwater Beach is gorgeous too and developed with plenty of amenities, upscale restaurants, high-rise hotels, charter cruises/fishing, and pirate boat rides, if that's more interesting to you. We also love all there is to do at the St. Pete Pier, day or evening - delicious waterfront seafood at Doc Ford's Rum Bar & Grille. Don't forget that Tampa also has sports stadiums and major cultural events. It's over an hour's drive from Tampa to the massive Siesta Key beach, voted #1 beach in America by TripAdvisor in 2020. There's just way more to do in the region than most people realize.

Closer to your home, for a more urban/historic trip, you may also want to consider Boston or Williamsburg. Wonderful vacation destinations within driving distance of NY. Not familiar with timeshares in/around Boston but Williamsburg has many with good resort amenities, including some Marriott and Club Wyndham Governor's Green (my favorite there).

My concern is the resort, we're use to DVC 1 and 2 bedrooms, and also we've stayed at the Grand Vista and HGVC a few years back. No matter where we end up, just want to be happy with the resort as well as the attractions.
There are a number of older timeshares in the smaller towns within 30 minutes drive of Tampa. The only upscale, gorgeous timeshare resort that I know about in the greater Tampa area is Club Wyndham Clearwater Beach. It's very nice, directly across from the beach with beautiful sunset views but it gets booked solid by Wyndham owners far in advance, and it has a pricey points chart. So it's only likely to be available to you via a Club Wyndham owner or by booking a hotel room (on the same/shared property in the other tower). Note that guest certificates are probably not allowed during peak travel dates (such as spring break or major holidays) for Club Wyndham timeshare resorts.

I'd also second the recommendation above for a fun TN vacation near Dollywood and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. We love it there and we like the well-situated Club Wyndham resort there too. It's a reasonable exchange via RCI as long as you're not seeking a major holiday week. Dollywood has plenty of rides but it's smaller than Orlando parks, more theming than Six Flags, charming with craftsmen and live performers. We go back once in a while since it's only a couple of hours drive for us. When we've visited Cades Cove in GSMNP in spring and fall, we've sometimes spotted black bear as well as lots of deer and other wildlife. Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are very touristy (fudge shops, t-shirts, crafts, distillery tours, etc.) with many Ripley's attractions including a very nice Aquarium, plus many dinner shows and outlet malls. The aerial tramway (gondola) ride up to Ober Gatlinburg is scenic, worthwhile during their Oktoberfest if you like German food and live music. If you want to visit art galleries, there's a driving road tour through the Artist Guild loops past many excellent studios and galleries - we liked it. Another, newer tourist district is The Island where there's a Margaritavilla resort and lots of restaurants... the best part is the water fountain at night, which is choreographed to a popular song or two and dances a couple times per hour after dark.

One of our favorite NP visits over the years was our week spent in Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor in Maine. Loved the sights from the Park Loop Road, the charm and fresh seafood in fishing villages, biking on the carriage paths, great walking/hiking trails. boat tours of out-islands, just a very special place. Not familar with timeshare resorts in Maine. Visit Tug2.net for more resort info when searching for options that may meet your needs and interests.

Our big trip-of-a-lifetime splurge was a week on land in Alaska (Kenai Fjords NP boat tour, seakayaking in Seward with whales, train to Anchorage past Turnagain Arm, drive to Denali NP & tour, Talkeetna plane ride around Mt. Denali - all amazing), followed by a weeklong cruise that included Glacier Bay NP and multiple excursions. It was amazing!!! Nothing at WDW compares. Not even close, lol!

Last edited:
Wow! Can't thank you enough for taking the time to give so much great information, really appreciate it!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter