If you're not going to Disney, where have you decided to go?

Universal and Sea World.

There's been a lot of interest in Dollywood. I think there will be enough arts and crafts for my folks and some easy going stuff for me

When our Annual Passes expire, we are taking a Disney break until...

In the past we LOVED our Discovery Cove package that included the other Seaworld parks. My tween/teen loved the rides and the waterpark - I could do a whole week at Discovery Cove - one of my favorite days ever - and truly magical.

Rocky Mountain National Park - we did a long weekend with $29 RT Frontier tickets on Mother's Day weekend pre-Covid. We stayed in Grand Lake and it was so beautiful - my son's favorite trip ever. Lots of wildlife and natural beauty. Grand Lake is an awesome little town.

Appreciate and am following all the suggestions - haven't been to Universal in almost ten years, so one of our planned Disney trips in 2022 will be a Universal trip - but maybe only five days or so? Really like the TN recommendations as we can drive there pretty easily. If we can find some great airfare, would also like a trip to the Dakotas or somewhere west to explore.

Disney is going to have to earn us back with much better value and service than they've had lately.

There are DVC like resorts all over the US! So, depends on where you have been and what you like to see. Two places we’ve rented 1 or 2 bedroom full kitchen resort rooms with great pools and resort activities have included the Williamsburg, VA area and Finger Lake area in NY. Both of those areas had activities we could drive to for the day yet not have to change locations and resorts had pools, grilling out options, pretty grounds to soak in. Williamsburg we did a Marriott Vacation Club stay and the Finger Lakes was just a 1 bedroom suite in an extended stay hotel…. Which I can’t remember the name of! We almost rented a VRBO there as there were lots of choices.

Also popular in the Mid Atlantic, staying for a week at the beach or heading to a vacation/cabin rental in the Appalachian mountains.

Hilton Head Island, Myrtle Beach, Destin Florida ( that's coming up, haven't been there yet)

Where are you staying in Destin?
My favorite place is the Hilton and the Holiday Inn Fort Walton Beach.
They are next to each other connected by a Tiki Bar and incredible ocean views! Go visit and stay there next time . And book early cause this place is popular!B99C0D6D-39A6-4BF3-AD52-3100F583A19E.png

This was such a hard decision, but we decided to cancel our 50th trip and not renew AP's (not this year, anyway.) It wasn't the price, it was the deteriorating value and just overall decline of our Disney experience.

We still have a Hong Kong vacation on the books after the first of the year, but I have little doubt that will get cancelled (for the third time.). So the big thing we did in light of all of the change at Disney and the change in life overall since COVID is that we bought a vacation home in St. George. We've been going to Florida 5-6x/year, so hopefully do that same schedule, just in our new house.

Little sad, but this has helped:

It looks fun. Plus I adore Dolly Parton
It has a bunch of things going for it. It makes excellent use of the valley and topography of the park's setting. The staff are friendly, hepful, and all-around pleasant in what feels like a genuine way. The live entertainment is excellent. The food is mostly good-to-very-good. The ride lineup is surprisingly diverse given its size; it has both family-friendly stuff together with some exceptional coasters that will keep even the most contrary teenager interested. Heck, they even have the only Arrow looper I've ever been on that's not a painful headbanger.

If it is in season, make a point of seeing Dreamland Drive In. If you are there for the holidays, Christmas in the Smokies is a treat. And, no matter when you go, if you don't get yourself a loaf of cinnamon bread, you have no one but yourself to blame.

Where are you staying in Destin?
My favorite place is the Hilton and the Holiday Inn Fort Walton Beach.
They are next to each other connected by a Tiki Bar and incredible ocean views! Go visit and stay there next time . And book early cause this place is popular!View attachment 603376

That looks amazing! Does it has a carribean feel? How crowded is that area in the summer?

Silver Dollar City has a similar feel to Dollywood. Very clean, beautiful scenery, intense rides, delicious food, and very kind employees. Branson has a reputation as a cheesy town (and it totally is) but we like to rent a cabin in Ridgedale near Big Cedar Lodge. We can go to the Lodge for meals and activities on their property. Plus, Table Rock Lake is nearby.

I recommend looking into Branson if you never have!

Branson has a reputation as a cheesy town (and it totally is)

Same is true of places like Wisconsin Dells and Pigeon Forge and Myrtle Beach. Most people go those places for the carnival atmosphere and shows -- but a vacation is what you make of it. Our vacation style is more art museum and national parks and hanging out at the resort a day or two, but we've had a great time in all those places, partly because their original appeal was the local scenery, which is still there. We stay at a resort well off the main drag, and I can still find nature trails and art galleries and little quiet museums in or near all of them. Myrtle Beach has two state parks right in the area; the beaches there are less crowded than right in town, and if you go around sunset, when the state park pier is closing, you can see sharks down below, waiting for people to gut their fish and toss the entrails! In my experience, while "family vacation spots" most advertise the carnival aspects, because that's where the money is, there's something interesting there for everybody, if you poke around a bit. Wisconsin Dells does not really advertise their little "Indian mounds" park (and it admittedly is nothing compared to some other places --although it's got bigger mounds than are left on the Beloit college campus, and they brag about theirs), however if you're interested in that sort of thing you can track it down.

The advantage of Disney World over other vacation areas used to be that you didn't have to poke around much to find something for everyone, and it was all right there in the exact same spot, instead of a short drive apart. At Disney, you don't have to coordinate rides between the kids on the beach here and the old fogies at the art garden there, and you don't have to worry about whether every group has a driver with a car, either. The only concern there is keeping track of the littles and making sure they're under the authority of someone responsible. It's the perfect place for kids responsible enough to roam on their own a bit, but who don't drive yet. But at the moment I'm afraid the Disney parks are the ride fests that so many people have always assumed they were, and have little appeal for the rest of us.

Haven't been to Silver Dollar City, but the last time we were at Disney World (2016), I remember thinking Dollywood understood the "theme" part of theme park further than Disney does anymore. Athough I must admit I haven't been to Dollywood in over twenty years, so maybe they've lost the plot as well. :scratchin But somehow I suspect not.

Once I can do international travel without having to worry about restrictions, I’m going to Japan.

Next year I’m going to go to Busch Gardens and Sea World for their new coasters. I’ll still visit Disney, but not for as many days.

That’s what we might end up doing, go to sea world and discovery cove, and do Disney less. We were there in August, and we had a great time. Staff was good the resorts were clean. Just think it’s time to explore other parks a little more.

We're leaving next week for a cabin in Virginia. We'd done the Pigeon Forge thing and just wanted a slower pace with less traffic. Taking a few books, my knitting and the stuff to make s'mores. So looking forward to exploring the trails and relaxing a bit.

Where did you go in VA?

We're leaving next week for a cabin in Virginia. We'd done the Pigeon Forge thing and just wanted a slower pace with less traffic. Taking a few books, my knitting and the stuff to make s'mores. So looking forward to exploring the trails and relaxing a bit.

Where did you go in VA?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter