• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

II question...........

erick10520

Mouseketeer
Hi all,
A follow up to my previous question, make sure I got this right..........to get into a II resort I have to match up my points with someone willing to trade off at the resort that I want to stay (ok so far??). Somewhere I read that this can be done 2 years in advance????????Also I have to book in blocks of seven?????

Yes, II transactions are always full seven-night weeks (unlike Concierge Collection transactions). But you don't have to match up your points with someone willing to trade off at the resort where you want to stay. In fact, it's highly unlikely that the owner of the resort week into which you are trading will end up using your DVC resort week.

You handle II exchanges through DVC Member Services.

Let's suppose you ask Member Services to get you into a 2-bedroom condo at one of the timeshare resorts on DVC's list. If a unit is available (or becomes available in the case of an ongoing search), DVC provides a comparable DVC week to II. The number of points that are deducted from your point balance will be the number of points needed for that comparable DVC week. DVC will try to minimize the points, based on availability. The week that DVC provides to II does not have to be the same week of the year that you are getting at your destination, and it doesn't even have to be at your home DVC resort.

That's how it works through Member Services -- but you can arrange a direct trade with someone if you choose to, or you can use an exchange company other than Interval International (but not through Member Services). Dean is this board's resident expert on timeshare exchange transactions; you might want to search for his posts on this subject.

ok, so lets say my use year begins in December, because of banking I won't be able to use anything till after that date.........So I want to go to Williamsburg VA sometime in April Q: Can I call in December and how long will it take to get a response back????

You can call tomorrow- the points just have to be available for the time you want to travel- they don't have to be there today.

Since you will get more points in Dec- you may make a reservation for any time after Dec using those points. YOu can even borrow the Dec, 2001 points for a trip before that time.

Enjoy!

Kind words Werner, nice summary. I don't have the energy to go through a big explanation tonight but will add a little. All you really need to do is decide where, when and which resort you want to visit along with the unit size you need. Call MS and they will check and see if it's available. If not, they can start a search. If you match, they will call you and tell you what you need to give up, how many points that is and you say yes or no.

Just to clarify a couple of points above. Don't worry about when you get your points. As long as you can book something that "matches" at the time they call you, you're set. Even if it's after your trip. They just use the 7/11 month windows to find something. So if you have access to points in Dec (even if they are borrowed form the next year), you're set.

For your example, April in Williamsburg should be easy. Likely can rent a 2 BR at a great resort there including the Marriott for around the maint fees for the week. The exception I would assume would be Easter but that week this year is in March.

Just remember that you should normally plan these things AT LEAST A YEAR IN ADVANCE. That doesn't mean that something won't come available if less than a year and no harm in trying with the way DVC works. Using DVC for trading, shoot for the Moon and ask for the top places the top times. If it comes through, you're set; if not, nothing lost. Your mission is to find out what the top places and times are. Go to www.tug2.com where you can join for $15 and get a lot of info including ratings, reviews and BBS where you can ask other questions about specific resorts etc. Just be careful as they can be a little anti DVC.

A quick search of the II website shows multiple 2 BR units for the Marriott and a few for Williamsburg Plantation and Kings Creek for April and May. I bet you could trade a studio for a 2 BR direct member to member or 5 days for 7 or similar.

I have never done a trade, can you trade with anyone? How do trades work? I was told that if I wanted to trade for another time share it would cost 252 points. (that's what my guide said when I purchased my points)

You can trade with anyone on a direct and individual basis. The trades will vary depending on unit size and season. 252 is a good round number for 2 BR trades. With II, you can only request about 200 properties, the ones DVC says you can. One quick lesson, the guides generally don't know much about exchanging.

Dean,
Would you be so kind to give ballpark estimates for the number of points needed for an II trade for a 1-bedroom and a studio-type accommodation? I have never done a trade into II and have no idea of the points that may be needed. The 252 estimate for a 2-bedroom was very useful information. I understand that it would be an estimate only, but at least it would give me an idea.
Thanks!

KMarie

Well, now that we have been members for almost 10 years, I am thinking it might be time to do an exchange. We are considering the Caribbean in April 2003. All this info has been very intriguing, and I really appreciate it, but I have a couple of additional questions.

Am I correct in understanding that the exchanges through MS are only with the resorts listed in the World Passport Collection?

If I request an exchange, at what time will they advise me how many points it will cost me, and will I have the opportunity to decline if I think it is too high?

Thanks in advance!

Well, I'm not the expert that some others are but I have looked into it. Maybe I can offer a bit of info to save Dean some typing :)

Yes, if you exchange through MS, you are limited to the II properties in the World Passport Collection. Supposedly Disney has checked out all the ones that they offer and, for the most part, they are the top resorts. Seasons vary at II resorts just like DVC. When you trade through MS, you trade a week at a DVC resort in a season comparable to the season you want at the II property -- I'm not sure if you'd have to exchange a Dream or Magic Season to get a platinum or red (or whatever the highest is called) II season; I don't think you'd ever have to exchange a Premier Season. For a low II resort season, you would trade Adventure season. If you want to know how many points it will "cost", look at the DVC point charts to see what you'd have to give up for a studio, 1BR or 2BR for a week. You exchange a studio for a studio, a 2BR for a 2BR; because DVC is such a great trade, sometimes if you offer a studio, you may get a 1BR from a search but not that often.

You can trade any of the DVC resorts as long as you could book a ressie at that time. If your home resort is BWV, you can trade any week up to 11 months ahead and 7 months ahead for any of the other resorts. MS will figure all of this out for you and look for the least "expensive" week for the number of points you'd have to trade. You call MS and give them a few resorts to check and a range of dates. If they have a match, you can do the exchange then or they'll start a search for you so that if and when something comes up, you'll be notified that it's available and have 1 day to respond that you want it. If you refuse that resort/week, they remove that resort from the search. I think you can also set it up so that, MS will automatically do the exchange when it comes up without contacting you. I haven't been successful on any of my searches but I was being picky. Also, get your name on the search list way ahead of time (2 years); that way you'll be first in line if something comes up.

One thing that I discovered while calculating point costs, see if you can exchange Adventure season at HHI (much lower than other DVC resorts' Adventure season) - as long as you're within the 7 or 11 month window - you'd have to exchange for a II low season but you could get a very good deal.

A more flexible but riskier way to trade is to do an independent trade. As mentioned before www.tug2.net is a great place to get info on many resorts. It's more than worth the $15/year. I listed BWV on the potential trade list and have had many responses. What is great about the private trades is that you can look to see which resorts people want to trade and the weeks they have to trade then contact them directly. Of course you have to be careful with who you trade with and what resort you trade for; there are not many like DVC. I have been offered a 2BR in exchange for a studio at BWV. It's great to own one of the best!

Right now I'm working on a trade with someone that will happen at the end of 2002. Plan ahead! Good luck!

downontheBW was right on the money. Just a little additional info. Many red time exchanges are still adventure time but the top times to go are going to be Dream or even Magic in some cases. DVC will not exchange Premier, it's their policy. For example MX or Caribbean in summer will be adventure while Xmas to Easter will be Dream season. Remember you must give up the number of points as what you ask for or accept. This gets a little tricky. If you want a 1 BR but the resort only has 2 BR units, you give up 2 BR points. If the resort has both and you accept an instant exchange for a 2 BR, you still give up 2 BR points. If you do an ongoing search for a 1 BR and they offer you a 2 BR, you only give up points for a 1 BR.

In general look at OKW adventure and Dream as your standard so 218 to 296 for a 2 BR. Sometimes it's HH adventure, as noted, much less points. Then if the appropriate HH or OKW time were not available (or you didn't have the points then), they would either look at other seasons or other resorts. You then get to say yes or no. MS has been very reluctant to give you an estimate of points because of the variables noted. What they can do is tell you which season will trade for X resort during X time of the year. HI for example is Dream year around except about 3-4 weeks in Oct where it's adventure.

The DVC list of resorts is pretty restrictive. There are many great resorts out there not on the list. True most of them are not quite up to DVC resort standards but some are. It takes a while for some new resorts to get on the list and sometimes they never make the list because DVC has other resorts in the area. Marriott's usually go on pretty quickly but that's not necessarily so across the board. Of course many of the great resorts are RCI and not II so DVC has no option unless they dual affiliate which has apparently been discussed.

It helps to know what you want and need. A good example is studios at some of the Caribbean and MX resorts. 2 quick examples are La Cabana in Aruba and Paradise Village in Nuevo Vallarta, MX. Both have extensive studios with full kitchens and are as large or larger than OKW. Four Seasons also fit the same mold. Also in the Caribbean, there are mostly 1 BR and studios so you may ask for a studio and get a 1 BR. On the other hand, the studios at the Royals in Cancun are simply hotel type units and don't really even qualify as a studio in my book.

As noted, all exchanges through DVC MS are into the 200 or so listed. The direct exchange route and independ exchange companies are viable alternatives. Also don't forget about the deposit first option with II. Say you have 55 points that will be expiring and you can't use or bank them; you might deposit time with II for future use. You would have up to 2 years FROM THE DATE OF THE WEEK to travel on an exchange based on that deposit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter