Il Mulino instead of Mama Melrose on HS day?

mickey916

DIS Veteran
I was thinking about a reservation at Mama Melrose for dinner on our HS day but now I'm wondering if we're going for Italian if we'd be better off going over to Il Mulino at the Swan. Any idea how much of a time killer that might be? Worth the trip or stay in the park? We're four adults if that makes a difference.

I'd expect making the trip to the Swan, with what will probably be a longer dining experience, would add between an hour to 90 minutes to your plans. The food would be dramatically better. I'd try to schedule closer to closing so you're not making a return trip to HS, although that could complicate your return trip to your resort.

I'm staying at the Swan right now and ate at Mama Melrose (have reservations at Il Mulino for tomorrow). Il Mulino is an upscale dining experience. With that said, Mama Melrose was good enough and easy.

Walking from HS gates to the Swan is about 10 to 12 minutes -- the Friendship boat will be about 20 minutes (or longer) each way. So I would add, if your group can walk comfortably, about 25 minutes (total) for walking or 40 to 60 for the boat. I think it depends on what you are looking for--pp is right the food will be much better.

I'd expect making the trip to the Swan, with what will probably be a longer dining experience, would add between an hour to 90 minutes to your plans. The food would be dramatically better. I'd try to schedule closer to closing so you're not making a return trip to HS, although that could complicate your return trip to your resort.

We are staying at the Swan so perhaps it would be good to just end the evening there with a late dinner.

I'm staying at the Swan right now and ate at Mama Melrose (have reservations at Il Mulino for tomorrow). Il Mulino is an upscale dining experience. With that said, Mama Melrose was good enough and easy.

Walking from HS gates to the Swan is about 10 to 12 minutes -- the Friendship boat will be about 20 minutes (or longer) each way. So I would add, if your group can walk comfortably, about 25 minutes (total) for walking or 40 to 60 for the boat. I think it depends on what you are looking for--pp is right the food will be much better.

Would love to hear your comparison after the Il Mulino tomorrow. Glad to hear Mama Melrose was good enough...we're not terribly picky eaters by any means. All four of us are able to walk very quickly and easily so I plan on walking as opposed to taking the boats (unless it's at the end of a long day after the park).

I was thinking about a reservation at Mama Melrose for dinner on our HS day but now I'm wondering if we're going for Italian if we'd be better off going over to Il Mulino at the Swan. Any idea how much of a time killer that might be? Worth the trip or stay in the park? We're four adults if that makes a difference.
We just got back last night. Mama Melrose has good Italian and has a great steak on the menu. After being at WDW for 10 days, I wouldn't waste time leaving the park, without FP's you are spending a ton of time standing in line for everything. I'd really recommend lunch at Mama Melrose during the heat of the day and then close out the park and eat a QS for diner as the ride times go down in the evenings. We ended up switching most of our TS to in park restaurants and called it an early night as we were having to do rope drop every morning, which we had never done before. Ha

We're not going until next May but right now I think I'll plan on Mama Melrose for our full HS day (and hopefully Fantasmic is back and I can do a Fantasmic package). We do have a half day for HS also planned a couple days later (in case we don't get ROTR) so maybe then Il Mulino would be a good choice....that way we get to do both (and probably a good idea to do Mama first then it won't be a let down, lol...)

I second Mama Melrose for their steak and chocolate/cherry dessert

It depends on your plans.
If you are planning to stay in the park after dinner, I would do Mama Melrose. Il Mulino will easily be 2 hours including transportation.
If you are not returning to the park, I would do Il Mulino. Their Italian food is much better than any other Italian WDW restaurant we have tried (including EPCOT and Disney Springs).

We just got back from our trip and dined at Il Mulino for the first time. We absolutely loved it! We also have dined at MM in the past, and imo there is n comparission. Il Mulino knocked it out of the park. The food was so good, and they have a large selection to chose from. Plus, for the quality of food and service you get there, the prices were very reasonable. I say go for it. The boat from HS stops and the Swan and Dolphin first, so it is a nice boat ride over. MM was disappointing to us. We went twice during different trips, and thought it was overpriced and had a small selection to choose from.

Il Mulino is amazing and probably the best Italian food I've ever had outside of Italy or NY/NJ. It's a nicer dining room as well.

It would take about 40 minutes each way to take the Skyliner and walk across the boardwalk, so I would plan on doing it last or hopping to Epcot after eating dinner.

Is Il Mulino casual enough that you would feel ok heading there for dinner straight from a day at the park??

I think I've reached a decision (for now, lol). Sounds like Il Mulino is the way to go especially since we're staying at the Swan...planning it on our 1/2 day at the studios so we can leave the park and have dinner at Il Mulino without worrying about having to get back...then, during our full park HS day we can maybe do Mama's...or maybe just quick service, 'cuz we definitely want Sci-Fi for lunch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter