Il Mulino or Ale and Compass

Personally, I think Ale & Compass is quite a bit more casual than Il Mulino. Ale & Compass is a standard table service restaurant and, in the days of the dining plan was not classified as a signature. I don't think I would feel awkward wearing park clothes in A&C but think I might in Il Mulino. That said, I don't think Il Mulino would turn anyone in park attire away. Both are good. A bit of a question of what you're looking for. I think A&C may have one of the best burgers on property and adore their Parker House rolls appetizer. Both restaurants have attached lounges with first-come-first-serve seating and the ability to order off the full menu ... but they're definitely lounges with smaller tables and believe at Il Mulino it is bar height tables and chairs only (i.e. tough with little ones).

As for other currently-open options in the area, the food at Big River Grille is fine. A gorgeous day/night and the ability to sit out on the Boardwalk and people watch makes it pretty fun. Another casual option is The Fountain in the Dolphin resort. The atmosphere is nothing to speak of but it's kinda like a soda shop with burgers, milkshakes etc. Good alternative if you wanted Beaches & Cream but couldn't get a reservation.

We've never eaten at either, but we are making the same decision about where to eat the first night while staying at the Swan. Would recommend asking yourself what type of dining experience you're looking for. We wanted something a bit more casual since it's the first night and we have several other fine dining experiences planned.
My family is on the pickier side and liked A&C very much. Any restaurant (except V&A) at Disney caters to shorts wearers, if that's what you're worried about. I'd rather eat there than at B&C or BRG, which I really dislike. There is also Cape May Cafe for family style (and casual) at a fixed price. We never pick Italian places because we eat that a lot at home. Also they all have different vibes: B&C is bright and lively, CMC can be busy/noisy (but maybe different post pandemic) while A&C is dark, cool (temp wise) and quiet.

I think BRG is best for some beers or wine and maybe an app while you sit outside. I thought dinners there were like reheated lean cuisines.

Do you have a recommendation along the Board Walk you would prefer instead? My wife is not a sushi person, so don’t know that Kimonos will work.
Trattoria al Forno if it is open now. When we were there they made their own pasta! Beaches and Cream can be fun for the atmosphere and ice cream but maybe you are looking for something a little classier?

Trattoria al Forno if it is open now. When we were there they made their own pasta! Beaches and Cream can be fun for the atmosphere and ice cream but maybe you are looking for something a little classier?

Casual would actually be our preference. I jumped on the thread because we were having the same conversations for our first night in the Swan before checking into the GF. I think I am going to try to get a Beaches and Cream ADR if I can.

We went to Il Mulino for the first time this past April. It was fantastic! Out of the Disney realm, but so worth it. The food was so delicious and fresh. The menu selection was great, and reasonably priced for the quality that you get. Service was spot on as well. While we have been to Ale and Compass a few times, it was decent, but not overwhelming. Especially if they still have the limited menu due to Covid.

Two questions that might impact your decision:
1. How much do you want to spend.
2. Which is more convenient for where you will be touring that day.

Make that 3 questions.
3. Which has a menu that appeals more to you.

And for Monty Python fans. I didn't expect a Spanish inquisition - very inside joke. :)

Il Mulino is very expensive for what you get. Tratorria al Forno was MUCH better. If you like sushi, I would highly recommend Kimonos at the Swan. Likewise, we were not blown away by Ale and Compass. Very slow service and food was mediocre.
We've eaten at both. Have to disagree. Il Mulino is the best Italian restaurant at WDW. Tratorria was above average, but not great.
Have to agree about Ale and Compass and Big River Grill being ok.

Casual would actually be our preference. I jumped on the thread because we were having the same conversations for our first night in the Swan before checking into the GF. I think I am going to try to get a Beaches and Cream ADR if I can.
Il Mulino is not really fancy inside, but might be more than you want to spend.
For casual, Big River Grill is an average Bar and Grill. Nothing special, but never had a bad meal there.

Casual would actually be our preference.
I wouldn't call Il Mulino a fancy restaurant. You'll find people there in park attire. The overall ambiance is "nice Italian restaurant".

About the only downside of Il Mulino is the price (its Disney expensive) and overall its a noisy place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter