Ill at Disney World? Please don't share...

Puget Peach

My name is Puget Peach and I'm a Disneyholic!
I was just reading a trip report about a mother with two kids at Disney World and the son was diagnosed with strep throat at the resort by the Doctor on call. The report went on to descirbe their brief jaunts into the parks...:scared1:

Oh my... please. If you KNOW you are contagious, please, please, please don't go to the parks! I know that it is your vacation, and the kids are going to be disappointed, but please ... why would you want to share strep?:confused3

Okay, my two cents are done. I promise though, if I know I am contagious I will stay far away from the madding crowds, and hand rails, and enclosed transports, and ride vehicles... And I have re-thought my first impression of people who carry disinfectant wipes for everything. I'm packing some for the first time on my next trip!

It is possible that he had a strain of strep the was not contagious. My DS has had what the Dr called bacterial strep and unless we ate or drank after him he was not a threat to others. Also if they put him on an antibodic after 24 hours the child would not longer be contagious either.....It is just a thought to make ya feel a little bit better. I guess my take is my kids are going to get sick no matter how much I try to prevent it so I am not going to use all my time trying to prevent it.

I find it very inconsiderate when people take their kids to public places when they know they are ill. I am a HUGE germophobe to begin with so when my SIL shows upto a family gathering and informs us that her kids have been sick "but they haven't puked since this morning"...:eek: I know it is only a matter of time before it rages through my family.

Last fall upon arrival to the Poly dd vomited all over the floor of the lobby as we were checking in. Well, being the way I am, we spent the next 36 hours in our room. I have a strict 24 hour recovery period rule. I am thankful it was the stomach flu with a quick recovery! I kept my child "quarentined" not just for full recovery purposes, but so we do not affect all the thousands of other families at DW.

Not the ideal first trip ever to Disney but at least we had a fabulous view and enjoyed the room service!

And I have re-thought my first impression of people who carry disinfectant wipes for everything. I'm packing some for the first time on my next trip!

:lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

I also carry the wipes in our van and pass them out after we go into stores! While we're in the parks, I actually carry a small trial size bottle of purell and keep it in the fanny packs and everyone just tidies up with those :thumbsup2 I find the small bottles easier to carry than wipes. I can say there has been countless ocassions when my DH has thanked me generously b/c I had those wipes!

Sometimes you are contagious with strep way before you fell the effects... Wash your hands frequently.

I actually carry a small trial size bottle of purell and keep it in the fanny packs

repeat after me..."I'm not obsessed...I just don't want to get sick" :sick:

I brought hand sanitizer last dec. when DD and I went to WDW. It's good for before you eat, after you eat.... when you go on rides, etc. We did this, and still got sick when we arrived home!!!! (I swear it was the hotel room we stayed in though.... mold on the ceiling above the A/C unit??? :eek: :eek: EEEWWW! Not normal!:sad2: )

Before I arrived in Feb, I had been getting little to no sleep (thanks tax season!) and caught a nasty cold. When we actually got to MCO, I felt like I was going to die - my nose was running, my head was pounding, etc. I had no tissues, nothing. And that line wasn't moving. Heh.

I slept that day. A lot. I'd say we probably got in around 4, and I was out for the rest of the night. The next morning, I was fine.

However, my grandmother caught my cold. She went the first day, and the rest of the vacation she spent in the hotel room. She was really disappointed, especially after plunking down all that money. :sick:

So yes, I can see why the family wanted to go. It's expensive, and yes, it is something that you don't want other families to be exposed to. But... it's Disney. :guilty:

I bought individual sanitizing hand wipe packets - easy to carry with me. These are also great for a "wipe down" to cool off with as they contain alcohol - fast evaporation = COOL! I never used to worry about this stuff and rarely get sick. The strep caught my attention because my very first year as a kindergarten teacher my class was passing strep throat around. I was sanitizing everything in my classroom several times a day and cut way back on "group" handling of objects ... very hard to do in a kindergarten classroom! I dodged the bullet until... Christmas vacation! And I was miserably sick the entire two weeks!

One year we sat next to a young boy on the bus who had a runny nose and a fever. My mother was with us and she has a low immune system due to a liver transplant and my daughter has numerous medical problems.... I was LIVID that they parents did not keep this kid in the room until at least his fever was gone... I THINK IT IS JUST RUDE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:furious:

I don't think it is far to put all the blame on sick people because I am not sure how I would react in the situation. If I finally got to Disney and got sick , but felt fine, cannot say I would be staying in my room. I would make sure I wash my hands frequently, etc. to limit the spreading.

I also know that I work in a hospital and am around sick people all day long, but with proper precautions (frequent handwashing, sanitizer, not touching face, eyes, mouth, etc before washing, etc.) I rarely get sick. Even with a compromised immune system due to medications.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter