Illumination Cruise start time?

Rpsemont

DIS Veteran
What time do these start? If we land (at the airport) at 6:50 P.M. would we make it? We rent a car and historically we are usually checking in NO later than 1 hour after arrival. We're staying at the Boardwalk.

I am doing the Illuminations cruise later this month. We are leaving from the Yacht Club. Illuminations is scheduled for 9PM. I was told to be at the Yacht Club by 8:15 and that the boat would leave at 8:30. So if everything runs according to your plan, you should be able to make it. I don't know if I would want to risk the plane being delayed or running into lots of traffic. If you don't cancel 24 hours in advance you are charged for the cruise.

You will be cutting it very close. Do you have a cruise reserved?

If you have no checked luggage and don't have to spend time renting your car and drive directly to the Boardwalk you could make it.

Usually the boat captains tell you to be at the dock at 8:20 or so for an 8:30 departure. You can do it but you will be cutting it very close.

If you have a reservation and don't get there in time, you will be charged the full fee. Good luck with this.

A couple of things to consider:

You will be leaving from the Yacht Club, which is clear on the other side of the lake from the Boardwalk. Depending on your transportation from the airport, you should consider going straight to the YC and checking into the Boardwalk after the cruise (when we went in May, our captain let us off after the fireworks at the Boardwalk instead of YC so we could get something to eat).

I would call the marina and tell them you're cutting it close. They are very accommodating, and I would think they would wait for you and would probably cut short the beginning of the cruise to get you to Epcot in time for the fireworks if you're late (the first part of the cruise normally goes all the way to the edge of MGM before cutting back to Epcot).

Thanks everyone! Good point about it leaving from the Yacht Club. Maybe we would drive directly there and check in afterwards. I haven't even reserved it yet (to far in advance) Just trying to do some preliminary planning. Also, If I'm lucky enough to snag one, I'm going to try and find some fellow dis'ers to share. So even if we didn't make it, someone would enjoy it.

We just did it last night. We were there at 8pm and left at 8:15 and drove over to the Swan, Dolphin, Studios and then to stay under the bridge to watch Illuminations.

Honestly, if you could do it another night without taking the risk of a late airplane, slow rental car place, traffic, etc., I would do it another night. I think you may be cutting it a little too close, IMHO. It sure is worth doing, though, but preferably on another evening?

Originally posted by AZKathy
We just did it last night. We were there at 8pm and left at 8:15 and drove over to the Swan, Dolphin, Studios and then to stay under the bridge to watch Illuminations.

Hi AZKathy,

I have Breathless booked for an illuminations cruise in August - when you say "stay under the bridge" what do you mean?

I assumed the boat was out in open water..?

Thanx

>>^..^<<

Originally posted by >>^..^<<
Hi AZKathy,

I have Breathless booked for an illuminations cruise in August - when you say "stay under the bridge" what do you mean?

I assumed the boat was out in open water..?

Thanx

>>^..^<<

You can still see everything wonderfully from under the bridge. The bridge is towards the International Gateway area, just past the boat dock for it towards Epcot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter