• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I'm a boomer, he's a boomer,

Also works great if you're having a church dinner and need to slice up 20 loaves of italian bread.
It’s great for slicing bread into cubes to make stuffing, too! We don’t use it often, but there are times it’s a real help.

Both DH and I are baby boomers, 1948 and 1958. We have his parent's electric knife from the 60's. It's definitely seen better days but it still works

I remember my parents/aunts/uncles using an electric knife to cut roasts and turkeys when I was a kid, but I haven't seen one used in ages now.

How about an electric percolator? My mom always made drip coffee, but my MIL used, and all DH's siblings STILL use, a stainless steel percolator to make coffee.

Wow! I do remember my parents having one when I was really young, but they switched to drip before my teen years.

1961 & 1962, and we've never owned an electric knife -- until last week, when one of DH' clients sent him one for a Xmas gift. I made a joke about the symbolism of getting a gifted knife, but maybe I was onto something & missed the REAL joke, LOL.

(I do some upholstery repairs occasionally; I plan to use it to cut foam.)

Last edited:
Younger than boomers and we have an electric knife. Use it several times a year--turkey and then more often for slabs of beef or pork to cut into steaks and smaller roasts.

I gave one to a cousin's daughter about 8 years ago as a wedding gift-it was on their registry.

Younger folks use electric knives, too.

Wife and I are proud Boomers who use our electric knife often.

We used to have an electric fry pan (it was my mother's), but it went kaput about 10 years ago.

My mother used an electric coffee percolator decades ago.

I'd totally take an electric knife, them things are very useful. I grew up with them although the ones of the olden days lasted and lasted. I have no idea how old my mom's is.

What's the link for this article where boomers were roasted?

1956 and 1960. Every Thanksgiving I wish I had my mom's electric knife for that turkey, worked nicely on ham, too.
Anyone still have an electric frying pan? Loved mine (until someone submerged it, doing dishes); easiest way to make fried chicken or anything that needs reliable temperature control.
How about an electric percolator? My mom always made drip coffee, but my MIL used, and all DH's siblings STILL use, a stainless steel percolator to make coffee.
I couldn't live without one. I learned to cook on my DMom's from about the time I was 5 and since I've had my own household I've probably gone through 6 or 7 of them. They do need to be replaced with the non-stick coating gets worn.

Born
Ages
Gen Z1997 – 20129 – 24
Millennials1981 – 199625 – 40
Gen X1965 – 198041 – 56
Boomers II1955 – 196457 – 66
Boomers I1946 – 195467 – 75
Post War1928 – 194576 – 93
WW II1922 – 192794 – 99

^^^^^ from -- https://www.beresfordresearch.com/age-range-by-generation/

Born 1950 = *Boomer I* Received an Electric Knife as a present and *it's gone.*

It’s great for slicing bread into cubes to make stuffing, too! We don’t use it often, but there are times it’s a real help.
It's also the best way to cut thick foam. My daughter had to buy a bigger foam topper for her bed at school this year so we cut the old full down to twin for her bed at home.

I'm solidly in GenX. I think we were gifted an electric knife for our wedding, but I don't think we've ever used it. (It's probably in the basement somewhere.) However, I don't host any gatherings that involve a big piece of meat, so I probably have little use for it.

My mother (silent generation) uses her electric knife often. She doesn't cook big pieces of meat often either, but she uses it to slice the bread from her bread machine. My in-laws use theirs for the Thanksgiving turkey.

However, I could not live without my electric skillet. We have been through several throughout the year. That's something that gets replaced immediately if it breaks.

I'm Gen X (1973) and my husband is a Millennial (1981). My husband bought an electric knife years ago because they're awesome! Both sets of our parents are Boomers and both sets of parents refuse to use an electric knife and have never owned one.

I'm an "Xennial", on the cusp between X & Y, and I have always been a bit baffled by my Boomer mother's impressive collection of kitchen electrics. Electric knife. Electric wok. Electric griddle. Electric percolator. Electric roaster. Electric kettle. You could have cooked a four-course holiday feast in her kitchen without ever touching the actual appliances!

We are boomers and have had an electric knife for around 20 years
We bought one as it was recommended by Alton Brown to carve turkey

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter