I'm a teen w\CP

dizchick93

Walt Disney World is not just a park, it's a world
Hi I'm going to be 13 soon, and my family is going to WDW this September. My twin sister and I both have had a case of mild CP since birth. We both love coasters and thrill rides. I use a walker to get around most of the time, and since walking long distances and waiting on long lines tires me out, we will be bringing a wheelchair. Any tips to make the trip easier for us??

Hi and :welcome: to disABILTIES!

If you click on where it says "disABILTIES" at the top of this page it will take you to the Index. The top item is the "disABILTIES FAQ" which will gives lots of useful information.

You might want to look there first. Note there are links to the special guidebooks for Guests with disabilities. You might also want to get a copy of the Passporter Guide to WDW for Guests With Special Needs which is available (at least) through www.amazon.com and through www.passporter.com

Hello, My boyfriend has CP also and usually uses crutches. When we visited Disney last December, he tried to use the crutches the first day, but was so tired and sore that night we opted to rent a chair for the rest of our stay. With our experience, almost everywhere there were special considerations for the wheelchair use. There were special entrances and seating, which was great. The only incidents I can think of were sometimes the Disney workers were unaware that they needed to slow down the ride in order for him to transfer (like the Buzz Lightyear ride and the Nemo ride). For the parades, they do have some special areas reserved for chair-bound visitors, but they tended to be very crowded.

Have fun on your trip! We're going in back in November!

Hi and welcome to the boards. My DD15 also has mild CP. WDW is her favorite place to go. She really loves Rock-n-Roller Coaster and ToT. She normally does not need her wheelchair, but at WDW she always uses it, it is just way to much walking for her. By using the chair she has plenty of energy for the rides and for having lots of fun!:woohoo: Go, have a great time and enjoy yourselves. It is a great place and most of the CM's will be glad to help you in any way that you need it.
Joy

Let the person pushing your wheel chair know that Walt Disney World is not flat by any means there are many many hills!! And they need to be physically fit for their own health. Dh tried to push me, but his sciatica would kick up and he would be hurting. I had to go to a scooter which was okay as I'm over the age limit to drive one.

Walking through theme parks doesn't go over well with me either-on most vacations we bring my wheelchair, even though I can walk on my own.

We have been to many a hilly theme park, so my dad (the one pushing the chair) is pretty used to it :)

From reading my thread, you all know that I'm going to WDW in September, and have CP. Something I forgot to mention: some of my other family members that are going might be going to the water parks one day, while some of my younger cousins go to Sea World. I don't want to go to Sea World, but my grandma has mentioned to me some things that I may not be able to do, and the water parks were on the list. My mom wants to look in on them before sticking with my grandma's decision. Does anyone agree or disagree?

I think you will probably prefer Typhoon Lagoon to Blizzard Beach. Unlike most water parks, the Disney ones are not just slides, there is a lot more to do. However, to use most of the slides you would have to be able to navigate stairs. Also, the parks are well-themed and not just open areas and metal slides. You don't even see most of the metal, it is build into mountain sides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter