• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I'm a Worry Wart!

wdwmom0f3

Disney Bound!
My mother is on a trip to Canada with a group of little old lady's and they just got there tonight. She sent a text saying she would check back in after dinner but I haven't heard from her. The last I heard they were going through customs, and then to Niagara Falls.

I feel like my child is not checking back in! :lmao:

I have sent several text messages and nothing! :mad: If you live in that area, you haven't hear of anything bad happening have you? I guess she could have forgotten, but its not like her. :scratchin

Sometimes with certain phones you may not get reception. I would not panic. She may be having a good time.

Sometimes with certain phones you may not get reception. I would not panic. She may be having a good time.

I'm sure you are right. My text messages will be funny to her when she does read them because I sound like her mom!! :lmao: Hopefully I will hear from her in the morning.

I understand.

Three days ago I got a text from my mother: Going 2 Arizona. 2morrow Texas.

My mother has NEVER texted me before and she lives 35 minutes down the freeway from me. She doesn't use text-speak. I assumed her cell had been stolen. After a check-in with my sister, my mother did call my niece to say she and a friend were on a road trip to see her friend's granddaughter graduate and her friend is teaching her to text. Oh my.

We haven't heard much from her other than another text that she arrived in Texas.

I understand.

Three days ago I got a text from my mother: Going 2 Arizona. 2morrow Texas.

My mother has NEVER texted me before and she lives 35 minutes down the freeway from me. She doesn't use text-speak. I assumed her cell had been stolen. After a check-in with my sister, my mother did call my niece to say she and a friend were on a road trip to see her friend's granddaughter graduate and her friend is teaching her to text. Oh my.

We haven't heard much from her other than another text that she arrived in Texas.

:lmao: It's funny when they start texting! I have gotten used to he doing it now so it's not like this is something new to her. I'm guessing that she was just real tired and took her sleeping pill before responding. That pill works so fast! She actually fell asleep standing up in the hotel room at Disney! :lmao:

Did you make your mom ever worry?:lmao:

I take the fifth! :angel:

:laughing:

I'm surprised my mother remembered to plug in her phone!

I hope our mothers are having the time of their lives; we'll both try not to become the biggest worry-warts ever!

I'm surprised my mother remembered to plug in her phone!

I hope our mothers are having the time of their lives; we'll both try not to become the biggest worry-warts ever!

That's hilarious! My mom does pretty good keeping hers charged too.

She has started going on these bus trips with some old lady friends of hers and she is loving it!! They left Sunday and drove the rest of the way up today so I'm sure she is tired.

A couple off weeks ago they toured Savannah, Ga and places all around there and she really liked it too. I'm glad that she is doing this. I just wish she would check in more. :upsidedow

It's early and I tried to text this morning and nothing. I tried to call her and its going straight to voice mail. :(

Maybe she's like my Mom and shuts her phone off after using it. We keep telling her to leave it on but can't get it to sink in. She says I'm not using it why waste the battery!

Do you know the hotel that they are staying at? Or the phone numbers for any of the friends with whom she is traveling?

Canada, or even places in the US close to Canada, is considered "roaming" on may cell phone plans. If you go near the border often you will get a message warning you that you are about to go on roaming and if you don't want to get charged an extra fee you should turn off your extra data plans. Or just turn off the phone entirely.

Lived all my life close to the border. It drives cell phone companies nuts.

Canada, or even places in the US close to Canada, is considered "roaming" on may cell phone plans. If you go near the border often you will get a message warning you that you are about to go on roaming and if you don't want to get charged an extra fee you should turn off your extra data plans. Or just turn off the phone entirely.

Lived all my life close to the border. It drives cell phone companies nuts.

My husband said the same thing. The only reason I would question that is because her other friend, who has the same carrier, just went tree a few weeks ago and told her she could text, but not call or she would be charged so much a minute. If she did get that text warning her she would have turned it off though. I can see her doing that.

I'll have to ask my step dad if he has the hotel information. She didn't give it to me. They are staying in Buffalo, NY, that's all I know. I don't have her friends information but I am going to her house tomorrow so I can look in her address book and get that if I don't hear from her. I feel pretty sure if something had happened we would have been called, so I'm guessing its the roaming alert that made her turn it off.

Thank you all for helping me!:hug:

If the phone does not have international service she will not be able to use it at all. We have AT&T and you have to add it to be able to even use it in Canada and it is very expensive.

We use email in this situation. I know it doesn't help you now but most hotels have a room with free internet. I have family send us an email. If your mom checks hers daily maybe you can send off an email to her. If not, I would just leave a message at the hotel.

I would say something like I hope you are having a great time, please text when you get back in the US.

I haven't heard any news from the Canadian side and we do get updates on our local news.

If the phone does not have international service she will not be able to use it at all. We have AT&T and you have to add it to be able to even use it in Canada and it is very expensive.

We use email in this situation. I know it doesn't help you now but most hotels have a room with free internet. I have family send us an email. If your mom checks hers daily maybe you can send off an email to her. If not, I would just leave a message at the hotel.

I would say something like I hope you are having a great time, please text when you get back in the US.

I haven't heard any news from the Canadian side and we do get updates on our local news.
Thank you! She is actually using AT&T so that makes total sense. Her friend who told her that she can text also travels internationally a lot so I bet she has a special plan. I hope that someone there tells her about email. I'm sure she will ask what others are doing.

Thank you!!:)

Maybe she's like my Mom and shuts her phone off after using it. We keep telling her to leave it on but can't get it to sink in. She says I'm not using it why waste the battery!

are we related? :lmao:

Kae

I found out that she is staying in Canada so now I'm sure she is just afraid of charges. She had planned to text but I bet the roaming thing has scared her from it. :)

Good to know you heard something. Can't blame her for not wanting to pay those charges. Maybe from now on you can at least get the hotel info and leave a message at the front desk.

My parents just left yesterday on a 3-4 week trip out west and Mom just figured out how to text. It was funny, b/c she didn't know how to space between words. She asked for our help and the only thing we could say was "look for the space bar"! She has a very basic phone and I couldn't remember how her keyboard is. She figured it out today by accident...she went to use the # key for "number" and it spaced! It is much easier to understand and read todays text as compared to yesterdays!! LOL!

I have the opposite problem of most, she keeps calling and letting me know where they are. She called 3 or 4 times yesterday just to give me an update! I love her calling and all, but I don't need to know every time they cross a state line! LOL! However, I do know if I hadn't heard from them I would get worried too.

My parents just left yesterday on a 3-4 week trip out west and Mom just figured out how to text. It was funny, b/c she didn't know how to space between words. She asked for our help and the only thing we could say was "look for the space bar"! She has a very basic phone and I couldn't remember how her keyboard is. She figured it out today by accident...she went to use the # key for "number" and it spaced! It is much easier to understand and read todays text as compared to yesterdays!! LOL!

I have the opposite problem of most, she keeps calling and letting me know where they are. She called 3 or 4 times yesterday just to give me an update! I love her calling and all, but I don't need to know every time they cross a state line! LOL! However, I do know if I hadn't heard from them I would get worried too.

:lmao: Your mom sounds like mine! She had been texting every few hours letting us know where she was. It was always quick. We normally talk everyday so to go without hearing anything made me worry.

I hate it when they go on long cruises, but at least my step dad is there with her so I don't think to much about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter