I'm all for the ROTR virtual queue, BUT

This makes the HS day so stressful.

You have to have your kids up around 4:30/5am to get to the park before opening so you can get into a BG. As of now, posted park opening time is not the time the park actually opens, but of course that could change without notice and then change again. So you could arrive at the park around 5am expecting a 6:30am opening time, but they might keep to the schedule of 8am. Then you don't get a time for when your group might be called, so you most likely are at HS until that time (especially with small kids). With HS current tier structure, it's then a lot of working the system to get onto the tier 1 rides after using whatever FP you get in advance.

I can only imagine the chaos that will be weeks like Christmas / New Years or Easter (when we are going...)

Also, I find it very frustrating that resort guests are not given any advantage for ROTR.

I'm really hopeful they offer some sort of AH event for HS. Even if it didn't include ROTR, we'd probably jump on it to get the other rides done in a more "relaxed" setting. That way we could carve out one morning to do ROTR and then hightail it out of there.

So, yes the VQ is nice, but it doesn't really work well within Disney's other systems.

I'm not saying they should do it another way (aside from giving resort guests a leg up), I'm just saying it sounds like a stressful day.

I don't disagree, but I think Disney was left with a situation they weren't quite ready for.

I MAY be wrong, but from reading various things, this is the way I understand it. People heard how popular and amazing the ride is, but that they'd have to get in EARLY to be in a boarding group, so they try to get there super early.

They get there super early, but the parking lot isn't open yet...causing traffic to back up all the way to the main road.

So they open parking earlier, and people are now in line at the front gate....except the lines get so long that they push out toward the security booths, making scanning people for security much more difficult, unless they came up with some other way to herd guests prior to security, which they really aren't designed for with the new layout.

I think with more preparation and foresight they may have done things differently, but now they're being reactionary instead of proactive.

Thanks for the info. What time was your boarding group called?
6:30pm - Talked to a CM who said that the ride had not been down as much as it was earlier in the week. We kept a close watch on the boarding group status as we had gone back to the hotel to relax. We headed back when it was at boarding group 95 and it was at 103 by the time we located the ride. We hung around for about 2 minutes and it called our group - I got a text message saying my group was boarding.
There were people lined up waiting for their boarding group - there is no need for that. I would just make sure you are in the park when you have 10 -20 boarding groups to go before yours. You have an hour or so before you miss your boarding group.

I don't disagree, but I think Disney was left with a situation they weren't quite ready for.

I MAY be wrong, but from reading various things, this is the way I understand it. People heard how popular and amazing the ride is, but that they'd have to get in EARLY to be in a boarding group, so they try to get there super early.

They get there super early, but the parking lot isn't open yet...causing traffic to back up all the way to the main road.

So they open parking earlier, and people are now in line at the front gate....except the lines get so long that they push out toward the security booths, making scanning people for security much more difficult, unless they came up with some other way to herd guests prior to security, which they really aren't designed for with the new layout.

I think with more preparation and foresight they may have done things differently, but now they're being reactionary instead of proactive.
The other problem is they just need more security at HS- when I went there were only 4 security lines! They really needed atleast 6 and I was there about an hour after they opened the park at 6:30am - 1/2 hour after official park open. I can only imagine how crazy it was before they opened the gates.

I believe they said resort busses were taking people to HS starting at 5am. Minnie Vans were running as early as 5am as well - that's what the minnie van Driver told me. Not sure if that will change in the coming weeks my guess is no being that it's going to be the busy time.

There's no real solution.
If SWGE was inside AK there would have been a way to control crowds, put a couple of OC sheriff cars and police at the toll booth and have people not line up before xx time when the parking lot opens
but DHS has the issue that people can access it by foot. No use of having a couple of securities under the overpass if they're having thousands of people waiting to walk over on the boardwalk side.
They actually were proactive by moving the bag checks further back, adding more tables, expanding the courtyard, the parking lot.
There's just really no solution, so, to me, what they're doing is the best possible scenario, in terms of crowd control and security

The other problem is they just need more security at HS- when I went there were only 4 security lines! They really needed atleast 6 and I was there about an hour after they opened the park at 6:30am - 1/2 hour after official park open. I can only imagine how crazy it was before they opened the gates.

I believe they said resort busses were taking people to HS starting at 5am. Minnie Vans were running as early as 5am as well - that's what the minnie van Driver told me. Not sure if that will change in the coming weeks my guess is no being that it's going to be the busy time.
Using fewer bag checks tables is a way to control crowds, there's a bigger empty space before the bag check than in the courtyard, so it scatters the entrance to the actual park

It’s only stressful if you desperately need to ride when you’re there. I skipped it this past week since there was no way I was waking my toddlers up for something they aren’t even allowed to ride and even if they were, they would not enjoy as much as other rides. I know I will be at Disney again in the future and can ride when things are less crazy.

6:30pm - Talked to a CM who said that the ride had not been down as much as it was earlier in the week. We kept a close watch on the boarding group status as we had gone back to the hotel to relax. We headed back when it was at boarding group 95 and it was at 103 by the time we located the ride. We hung around for about 2 minutes and it called our group - I got a text message saying my group was boarding.
There were people lined up waiting for their boarding group - there is no need for that. I would just make sure you are in the park when you have 10 -20 boarding groups to go before yours. You have an hour or so before you miss your boarding group.
Thanks!

That's the tricky part. Arriving at 7:45am and getting on the ride at 6:30pm. Do you count on that and book your FPs at another park or do you book them at HS? I know we'll have more data by the Spring. I guess it really all depends on how early you're willing to get up. I would just hate to be gun-shy about hopping to another park / getting into a long line at another park. I just don't want ROTR to dictate my whole day (a day I have to pre plan with FPs / ADRs 60 days out).

I feel like you are stressing out about something that could change before your trip. We are going in April so I am following along, but I know things can and most likely will change between now and then. I am just hoping the boarding groups are still in use. That is much more realistic than having to wait in line for 5 hours. No way my kids will be able to wait that long. You may not have time to go to another park but you could go back to your resort and rest for a bit.

Agree. I have more faith in the VQ than being able to get a FP+. But my trip isn’t until August so who knows. I’d prefer VQ to FP+ or standby.

Like a pp mentioned, your best bet may be you and your wife taking turns rope dropping. The one who stays behind with the kids gets extra sleep time too!

Full disclosure; I am a morning person and have been my entire life. I LOVE what I have heard about the VQ system and can't wait to try it out during our trip next summer. I really wish they'd do this for FoP too. On our last trip we planned it inside the 30 day window and could not get FoP or SDD fastpasses. Well guess what? we rode both, but had to get to the park an hour early. This is exactly the experience everyone is reporting for ROTR, only without the mad dash at rope-drop. Not only that, but instead of rushing in with the rope-droppers, you can tour the rest of the park with no lines, knowing you will be riding later with no wait. You can do that now with FoP, but you'll have a LONG wait later in the day. VQ sounds like bliss by comparison.

My son is definitely NOT a morning person. Getting him out the door each day is a nightmare. On our last trip we gave him the option of sleeping in and joining us later (he was a HS freshman at the time). You know what? He got up and was ready to rope drop each day. If he can do it, so can you. Just schedule a nap back at the hotel later when it gets hot and crowded. Problem solved - vacation saved.

I am so amused by all this. Finally Disney creates something that EVERYONE wants to experience and people are complaining about having to get their butts to the Park in question.

Disney simply is handling this according to "guest demand". Clearly there are plenty of people who have no problem driving into the parking lot and starting to line up at 3-4 am; so Disney is responding and opening the Park and VQ accordingly when the crowds get to a certain point.

NOBODY would be happy if they had to deal with crowd levels like the wizarding world of Harry Potter opening morning!!!! Yay standing in a 8 hour line, nooooooooo thanks!

So is this really the equivalent of a FP only ride? The virtual queue is FP essentially, with no standby line option.

So is this really the equivalent of a FP only ride? The virtual queue is FP essentially, with no standby line option.

I would say it's more the equivalent of a standby line without actually being stuck in line. You're still technically waiting however many hours it probably would take just standing in line. You're just able to roam about freely until it's time for your boarding group (and up to two hours before that group expires).

I would say it's more the equivalent of a standby line without actually being stuck in line. You're still technically waiting however many hours it probably would take just standing in line. You're just able to roam about freely until it's time for your boarding group (and up to two hours before that group expires).
Maybe more like a DAS😊

You know, that's a great point. Think about it; you have to use VQ to ride, but all of the VQ boarding passes are distributed practically before the park opens. That means there are people who enter the park at opening, join the VQ and wait literally all day to ride. that's a 14 hour wait! I imagine many people would see a 3-4 hour line and skip the ride, but there are a lot who would not. Can you imagine a 3-4 hour typical wait? I can. I, for one, am glad they are NOT doing that!

I believe they said resort busses were taking people to HS starting at 5am. Minnie Vans were running as early as 5am as well - that's what the minnie van Driver told me. Not sure if th
Does Skyliner run that early? Or is it not recommended as a way to get there if trying for a Boarding Group? We'll be staying at Pop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter