• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Im done with BLT TOWL

We own at BLT, and more than once during the sales pitch, TOWL was mentioned. And more than once it was mentioned that the observation deck (not the lounge ) was a great place to bring the kids, in their pajamas, to watch the fireworks.
On our first stay, it was DH and me, my DD & her DH, and their 3 kids. We did go up to TOWL, to the observation deck with the kids in their pj's to view the fireworks. The older 2 kids could see fine, the little guy was up in Dad's arms. They were towards the back, not near the front of the observation deck, and they had a ball! There were other families with children in pj's also. I hope this will still be allowed, as it it one of my grandkids favorite Disney memories! We did not bring the children into the lounge, and would not, but I just loved seeing their faces as they watched the fireworks comfortably and out of crowds. On other nights we watched the fireworks from our SV villa which was nice also. DH and I are going to BLT the week after Thanksgiving, and will make a point of visiting TOWL, and visiting the lounge. DH doesn't drink, but I do! ;) The food choices don't wow me, but I want to keep the lounge open. I love the TOWL!

Well, "generic bar grub" has become so widespread for a reason: people like it. I don't see why there isn't room for both traditional favorites and unique offerings. If we're looking for ways to make the area more popular and profitable, selling snacks with mass appeal can only help.

I'm all for the "restaurant manners." But I have trouble seeing how a toddler sitting quietly in Minnie Mouse PJs is any more disruptive than a toddler in shorts + t-shirt or a Cinderella dress. :confused3

It isn't Pleasure Island or Atlantic Dance Hall. It's a hotel lounge at a family-friendly vacation destination. I don't see how a small child's attire would in any way negatively impact my enjoyment of the space.

Oh, I agree that a child's attire is not the issue...it is the behavior. I was responding to another poster's comment about "kids running around in their pjs..."

edk35 said:
So what is on the limited menu for those of you who have tried the food? Thanks :)

Here is the current menu (copied from all ears.net):

Appetizers
Cheeseburger Flat Bread - bison, rootbeer glazed onions, Tillamook Cheddar, Bibb Lettuce, Toma Tomatoes, Dill Pickle Mayonnaise, Mustard, Ketchup $9.99

Chicken Sliders - trio of burgers with herbed goat cheese, local tomato jam, and jalapeno ketchup $10.99

Cilantro Cream Shrimp Cocktail - wild caught shrimp, gourmet tomatoes, Florida avocado, cilantro cream, baby romaine $10.99

Farmers Cheese Plate - La Bon Vie Brie Cheese, Parmigiano-Reggiano, Purple Haze goat cheese, Cypress Grave creamery midnight moon, Almond Brittle, Honey Combo, seasonal fruit compote $9.99

Soft Pretzels and Dip - spicy-sweet cream cheese and mustard dipping sauce $7.99

Kids Meals
Grilled Cheese - American and White Bread $8.99

Mini Kids Burgers - mini Angus burgers, American cheese, apple wedges $8.99

Dessert
Vanilla Creme Brulee $7.99

7 Layer Cake for 2 with salted caramel sauce $10.99

My DD owns at BLT so we had a girls weekend a while back and spent an evening up at Top of the World Lounge. I like the new appetizer selections posted here, they sounds great. The drinks were nice, and pricing was as expected.

That being said, if we had a MK View room, I would probably watch the fireworks from there with my own drink and snacks. We had a Lakeview so had no option of doing that.

As far as kids, well I obviously had my own who were children before and hope to have grandchildren one day. But, I believe there are places that I personally would not bring children to at WDW, just like on the Disney Cruiseline ships there are adult only areas (age 18+) too. Just my personal preference. I would bring small children out in PJ's, just not to a cocktail lounge, since there are so many other fabulous places for kids at WDW to run around. :)

I agree with the OP that the "wall view" is not ideal. My only thought is that it has to be that way for OSHA or other safety code standards.
.....(snip)......
Apparently, some people either cannot predict the consequences of their actions or are just plain stupid!

When we were on the deck outside the TOWL in late 2009, one of the CMs told me that people were seating their small children on the wall and some were even allowing them to stand on it! Gives me shivers just thinking about that. The CM told me that because I asked why we couldn't lean against the wall, to watch the fireworks, but had to stand behind a rope that was placed 3 or 4 feet away from the wall.

CarolMN said:
Apparently, some people either cannot predict the consequences of their actions or are just plain stupid!

When we were on the deck outside the TOWL in late 2009, one of the CMs told me that people were seating their small children on the wall and some were even allowing them to stand on it! Gives me shivers just thinking about that. The CM told me that because I asked why we couldn't lean against the wall, to watch the fireworks, but had to stand behind a rope that was placed 3 or 4 feet away from the wall.

That is insane! But yes I can believe someone would do that. When we were there September 2011, there wan't a rope and we were allowed to lean agains the wall. Several people had there drinks sitting on top of the wall also. I remember thinking what if someone bumped there drink and it went over board.

We went last night to TOTWL. When we signed in at the lobby, I showed my DVC card and the people in front of us were digging out room keys. The one woman was complaining that this was supposed to be only for use for people staying there. I tried to mention (in a friendly way) that for the summer they are allowing all DVC members in. She seem to bristle... I also mentioned that it is probably to test revenue to keep it open. She ignored me.

We waited in the lounge for 30 min (with two ten year olds) planning our next day. The lounge was pretty full with a couple of empty tables. No waiter staff approached and we didn't order anything. (we had just finished dinner at The Wave.) we might have ordered if someone came by. There were two and a half year old twins running around. Their dad was quite friendly and appeared to think all people love little ones.

Plenty of people came up to the observation deck, but it was not crowded.

The walls are not flat( they are peaked like triangles) so you couldn't sit on them or even put a drink on them.

The walls are not flat( they are peaked like triangles) so you couldn't sit on them or even put a drink on them.

People have put their kids on the wall. For awhile there was a Security Guard assigned to the viewing area to keep people off of the wall. Still another time, they put up ropes a few feet in front of the wall to keep people back.

They may have added the peak after this.

:earsboy: Bill

I have no idea why I thought it was flat and people put drinks on it? Maybe I had to many drinks that not? Sorry for the misinformation!

The walls were flat when the resort opened. People were putting drinks and small children on the wall, so they put up ropes until the triangle shaped tops could be added. They were added a few weeks after the resort opened. It added about another foot to the height of the wall....

We were just at WDW last week and loved that as DVC members we could enjoy the TOWL for fireworks. We went on Thursday and never even stepped foot in the bar/lounge area. We'd been inside several other times when they held the DVC events there (and even added on at one of those event ;)).

We enjoyed watching the fireworks from there but the wall was a bit of an issue for me also. I'm not quite 5 feet tall and I could barely see over the wall for viewing of the light parade, etc. before the fireworks. Of course, once the fireworks began, there was no problem seeing them.

My only issue was the bugs. We had lots of bug bites the next morning.

I also agree that this was a "once and done" thing for our family. I prefer the viewing from the CR viewing area (where the benches are). There you can actually sit and watch the fireworks.

However, we did appreciate being part of the trial of this for DVC members this summer!

We went last night to TOTWL. When we signed in at the lobby, I showed my DVC card and the people in front of us were digging out room keys. The one woman was complaining that this was supposed to be only for use for people staying there. I tried to mention (in a friendly way) that for the summer they are allowing all DVC members in. She seem to bristle... I also mentioned that it is probably to test revenue to keep it open. She ignored me.

We waited in the lounge for 30 min (with two ten year olds) planning our next day. The lounge was pretty full with a couple of empty tables. No waiter staff approached and we didn't order anything. (we had just finished dinner at The Wave.) we might have ordered if someone came by. There were two and a half year old twins running around. Their dad was quite friendly and appeared to think all people love little ones.

Plenty of people came up to the observation deck, but it was not crowded.

Thanks for the update!!!! Sad to hear no one came to your table....:confused3....that is not good! I hope they're adding more staff to accommodate the potential summer crowds !

We stayed at BLT on our spring break trip & went up to the lounge 1 night. I was very disappointed. Although we just had a LV studio we could still see the MK and fireworks from our room and that was almost as good. The wall is high (for obvious reasons) and the wind tunnel is BAD but the lounge "menu" was a complete joke. We were hungry & wanted something to eat and would've stayed longer if there had been something worthwhile to order. Instead we spent a whole 30 minutes up there then left to go to find "real food" at the Contemporary. It's a "been there / done that" for us.

We stayed at BLT on our spring break trip & went up to the lounge 1 night. I was very disappointed. Although we just had a LV studio we could still see the MK and fireworks from our room and that was almost as good. The wall is high (for obvious reasons) and the wind tunnel is BAD but the lounge "menu" was a complete joke. We were hungry & wanted something to eat and would've stayed longer if there had been something worthwhile to order. Instead we spent a whole 30 minutes up there then left to go to find "real food" at the Contemporary. It's a "been there / done that" for us.

Sorry to hear you had a bad time. With regard to the menu, several here have commented on that. Could anybody say what kind of food is wanted? I found the menu to be nice for an upscale cocktail lounge, with a nice variety of small bites to accompany drinks. What is it, exactly, that people are wanting that isn't there?

Sorry to hear you had a bad time. With regard to the menu, several here have commented on that. Could anybody say what kind of food is wanted? I found the menu to be nice for an upscale cocktail lounge, with a nice variety of small bites to accompany drinks. What is it, exactly, that people are wanting that isn't there?

Being that the BLT is different that most other resorts in that it is tied to the contemporary, means it has no real restaurant and I think people feel it is lacking. I personally like that there is no restaurant there. Heck I don't even need food there. I'm just glad there is a place I can go to and grab a beer or drink. I've had a few good nights sitting at the bar having a few drinks chatting it up with the bartenders when my wife and kids were in bed (i'm a night owl). What they have is fine for me, but rarely will I order anything. I actually like the bar fare like Mozz sticks and wings. All you need is a fryer. Not a real kitchen setup.

Not having a restaurant helps keep the dues lower than the other resorts, or so I was told in different sales pitches.

It wasn't that we had a "bad time" it was just disappointing that once the fireworks were done there was no other reason to stay. On our particular night we had been on the run all day (long lines over spring break and the new FP enforcement had pushed us to our touring limits) and we had not stopped yet for dinner. So we wanted something "real" to eat. Even a BLT sandwich would've been nice if they could put a toaster up there. We at least wanted sandwiches not munchies.

Being that the BLT is different that most other resorts in that it is tied to the contemporary, means it has no real restaurant and I think people feel it is lacking. I personally like that there is no restaurant there. Heck I don't even need food there. I'm just glad there is a place I can go to and grab a beer or drink. I've had a few good nights sitting at the bar having a few drinks chatting it up with the bartenders when my wife and kids were in bed (i'm a night owl). What they have is fine for me, but rarely will I order anything. I actually like the bar fare like Mozz sticks and wings. All you need is a fryer. Not a real kitchen setup.

Not having a restaurant helps keep the dues lower than the other resorts, or so I was told in different sales pitches.

BLT is an elevator ride away from all the food offerings at CR. Unlike AKV Kidani where you have to take a shuttle or take a long trek to get a meal.

I think the poster above hit the nail on the head. If folks are wanting a venue with light meal such as sandwhiches, well that is not what TOTWL is meant to be. It is a nice upscale cocktail lounge where you can drink and enjoy a few appetizers which are better than peanuts or goldfish.

I think the poster above hit the nail on the head. If folks are wanting a venue with light meal such as sandwhiches, well that is not what TOTWL is meant to be. It is a nice upscale cocktail lounge where you can drink and enjoy a few appetizers which are better than peanuts or goldfish.

I keep hearing opinions on what TOTWL is "meant to be" but does anyone know for sure? I saw a post about how it was sold from the guides including families being able to hang out on the patio and watch the fireworks. I have been to the actual lounge part twice and one time I was the only one there and another when maybe 5 people where there. The time when a handful of people where there I had my 2 boys (6 and 4) with me and NO THEY DIDN"T have their PJs on so relax everyone (BTW I do agree kids in PJs don't belong in the restaurant or lounge etc). We grabbed a seat and NOBODY waited on us or even acknowledged us. I looked at the menu and nothing for the kids at all, or even anything I carred for to eat. I finally had to go to the bar and get served, well my boys got a little impatient as it took what felt like 10 mins for the 3 staff to stop talking and acknowledge me. I had to say a few times "excuse me, excuse me", well that was the last time I went there. Drank my beer and left. Even when I was there by myself the staff was not friendly.

So from all the posts there are two camps:

1. Don't like the food, give me some more offerings
2. It is an upscale lounge and not meant for families unless your kids shut up, sit down and are dressed in their Sunday best (ok maybe a little over the top).

Bottom line is whatever it is........the business model is not working and overall satisfaction tends to be low. My point of the two extremes above is they should be able to find a happy medium between the two.

If it is meant for DVC only at BLT and targeted around adults who want an upscale feel.......guess what it is not what the majority wants as it appears not be supporting itself. DVC members (myself included) like a place that is DVC only but under its current structure it can't be sustained. I believe with minor tweaks it can still be DVC members only and still satisfy a vast majority of the membership.

The adult only type camp, there just isn't enough supporting that if open only to DVC. I totally understand the adult only thing as we do adult only trips frequently. I also feel there are plenty of places to go where I can get that feel. I'm affraid that if it is to support the current atmosphere they would have to open it up to all of Disney or at least anyone staying at the Contemporary and market it as such.

We are staying at BLT in a few days with another couple and our kids. We plan on watching fireworks on the patio and YES our kids will be......wait for it.........in their PJs :scared1:. We also plan on going to the lounge and kicking back for a beer with just adults on one or two nights. This will not be a priority or must do so if we miss it oh well. However, we would enjoy some more food type selections and a waitstaff.

Just my 2 cents with a slight venting. Good thread BTW.

Originally Posted by CarolAnnC

I keep hearing opinions on what TOTWL is "meant to be" but does anyone know for sure?

Well if it is supposed to be a restaurant, they really did miss the mark!! LOL!

Seriously, here is the blurb from the Disney Vacation Club website:

Top of the World Lounge

Located on the 16th floor of the Tower, this private lounge is accessible to Disney Vacation Club Members staying at the Resort. Light food, cocktails and other beverages are available. Access restrictions apply. Availability is limited and not part of the timeshare plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter