I'm going to end up with $11,450 in Disney Gift Cards. Now what?

What would you do with your Disney Gift Cards

• Save them for a future Disney cruise for 2 years or more from now

Votes: 37 24.8%
  • Save them for a WDW resort trip when things calm down

Votes: 46 30.9%
  • Try an Adventures By Disney trip at some point

Votes: 32 21.5%
  • Drive down to Hilton Head to the Disney Resort one summer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Plan a trip to Hawaii and the Disney Resort there

Votes: 46 30.9%
  • Let my wife buy EVERY Aristocat / other Disney cat item that she can find at the Disney stores

Votes: 26 17.4%

• Total voters

Rob1872

DIS Veteran
OK, I'm assuming that my Fantasy Eastern cruise at the end of May will be cancelled in a few weeks (bye-bye 10% OBB discount and $200 OBC), and that I will also be cancelling my pre-cruise visit to WDW. (So much for an AWESOME family summer vacation. I'd even splurged on Club level rooms so I could purchase 3 extra Fast Passes a day to really make it a memorable trip!)

I had purchased Disney gift cards for the whole trip, and had been pleased at saving 8-10% by strategic buying at BJs when the gift cards were on a good sale.

Now, I'm going to end up with everything back on Disney Gift Cards. I'm trying to figure out what to do next. I don't want to take the Future Cruise Credit because then I'm locked into picking a cruise next year and we don't have a lot of flexibility in the family schedule next year.

At least Disney Gift Cards won't expire. (But they will slowly lose value as prices go up each year.) I can use them at the theme parks, Disney stores/Disney online, DCL, Adventures By Disney, and Disney Resorts.

What would you do in my situation?

As long as Disney does't go out of business, your GCs will be okay. Even the US greenback is eroded by inflation although you can argue inflation at Disney is often much faster and steeper. At 10% discount, it's actually better than if you had stashed them at the bank for a year or two.

LAX

I think I read someone saying yes, somewhere on the boards. We always book our own though.

Thanks. If DCL does, may be packages including air to Aulani would too? (not a question directed to the person I quoted)

LAX

Thanks. If DCL does, may be packages including air to Aulani would too? (not a question directed to the person I quoted)

LAX
Does Disney sell any Aulani packages currently that include airfare? If so, I would hazard a guess that, since DCL includes airfare as part of the package total when booking a cruise, and you can use gift cards for that, any packages to Hawaii that include airfare could be paid for via gift card.

But I don't know for sure.

I've never understood why people pay with gift cards. Imagine if you were laid off from your job and it needed that 11k for bills. You're lucky you only have to worry about what vacation you can use it for.

It's a risk-rewards game, IMHO. If everything works out, people can save thousands on their Disney-related vacations. It works for some, but not others.

LAX

Adventures by Disney has the highest guest satisfaction rate of any Disney product, and they are rated one of the best guided tour companies. If you haven’t tried it yet, I would highly recommend it.

I haven’t been able to go on one yet, but every single person I know who has came back raving and has gone again (and multiple times, for some). It is an intimate way to experience a destination. Definitely give it a try!

Aulani is amazing, but you would have to stay in a suite or large villa for a long time to spend that much. Though if you eat in the restaurants every day, and add excursions, it does add up quickly. As much as I love Aulani (and have been there), I still recommend AbD or a unique cruise itinerary like Iceland or Greece.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter