I'm never taking WDW for granted ever again

Well, they're fine, but I just usually don't want to wait in the line to get one! Meanwhile the line at Maurice's is non-existant.
That's fair. Bless mobile order. I think I had 3 on my last trip 😋🤤 Gonna have to try that apple freeze you mentioned next time.

Sorry to hear about your less than magical trip.

My husband and I have been having a bit of a staycation at the DLR and commented the CM interaction has been outstanding. Almost like they are focused on providing better service

Not excusing bad CM behavior, but a little background - DAS at DL used to be HORRIBLY abused. You can see why; DL/DCA is a local crowd - it's not that hard to figure out how to scam the system if you go all the time. DL did something about it and, once you have your pass, the system works well and the scammers are 90% gone (would never say completely gone - some people...). So, yes, you probably were put through a higher level of scrutiny than you see at WDW - but the scammers made them do it and the park is far better now that they have.

Not excusing bad CM behavior, but a little background - DAS at DL used to be HORRIBLY abused. You can see why; DL/DCA is a local crowd - it's not that hard to figure out how to scam the system if you go all the time. DL did something about it and, once you have your pass, the system works well and the scammers are 90% gone (would never say completely gone - some people...). So, yes, you probably were put through a higher level of scrutiny than you see at WDW - but the scammers made them do it and the park is far better now that they have.
I'm glad to hear that. What changes did they make? I only used the DAS on my last visit there so I'm not sure how it was before.

Thanks for your input. Pirates was definitely better, I'll admit to that (again, aside from that bland queue), as well as most of Fantasyland's rides, even with 4 of them breaking down on me during the ride.

I'll keep the quick service in mind if I ever make my way back. I just need to get my lists correct this time of where to eat (French Market was not the correct choice for DL, or at least the slow roasted beef sandwich they offered and the mint julep was a sad waste of money; I'm getting a Coke or Powerade next time) but I guess that's a bias that comes from extensive trial and error of eventually knowing where to eat in Florida
I hate the French Market. Disappointing every single time. (Last time it wasn't our choice to eat there - we were on the Southern CA ABD and the lunch was included.)

It seems like most people for whom DLR is their "home" park insist that DLR has better food than WDW. I really disagree. Although DLR does have the superior churros.

I hate the French Market. Disappointing every single time. (Last time it wasn't our choice to eat there - we were on the Southern CA ABD and the lunch was included.)

It seems like most people for whom DLR is their "home" park insist that DLR has better food than WDW. I really disagree. Although DLR does have the superior churros.
I always heard that DLR is supposed to have the better food but honestly didn't find that to be true for us. We were disappointed in the beignets. Didn't feel like they lived up to the hype. The churros did though.

I do prefer WDW overall because of Epcot and Hollywood Studios and all of our favorite restaurants that are there. So even though we have a trip to DLR coming up next year I'm not as excited as I would be if we were going to WDW. I'm trying though to look at the bright side as far as the rides and experiences we will be able to do that we can't at WDW.

I don't think either resort has fantastic food but I do like how WDW has more options (even if many of them are bleh).
Are you talking about DLR vs. all of WDW? If so, that isn't really a fair comparison, especially with all the international options at Epcot and the African/Asian foods at DAK. What if you compare DLR to just the MK and DHS? In that case I think Disneyland holds its own just fine, maybe even offering better food.

(If we factor in the hotels the comparison is even trickier because there are many wonderful restaurants at the WDW hotels.)

Been to WDW 40+ times (live 8 hours away in Florida) and went to DL 3 times and our family likes DL slightly better. WDW has more resorts to choose from but none of them competes with DL hotels and being able to walk through Downtown Disney, and the easy access to both parks for park hopping. Characters that just show up in the lobby and interact with you, that was great. DS is a lot bigger but after the additions, it reminds us of just a big outdoor mall now, we liked Downtown Disney better than DS. We found the QS food variety and taste inside DL parks far better than WDW parks, the better rides i.e Pirates, Small world going on the outside, Mr Toad etc. The CM's we interacted with at DL were all great.

Are you talking about DLR vs. all of WDW? If so, that isn't really a fair comparison, especially with all the international options at Epcot and the African/Asian foods at DAK. What if you compare DLR to just the MK and DHS? In that case I think Disneyland holds its own just fine, maybe even offering better food.

(If we factor in the hotels the comparison is even trickier because there are many wonderful restaurants at the WDW hotels.)
Oh I meant all of it. I don't really think the majority of the food at WDW is that good or special. I also live in an area with fantastic Asian restaurants so that does make me biased in that regard. There are some standouts for sure but overall the food is just okay in my opinion. I haven't been to Disneyland in 3 years so I don't know much about how the food is now.

I think that counter service food is much better at DLR. You can get a decent burger or even pizza in-park, which is tough to do at WDW. That said, WDW has stepped it up a bit with places like Satu'li Canteen. There is still nothing that really holds a candle to Pacific Wharf Cafe though! For Table Service, I have such little experience at DLR because there aren't that many options. I've eaten at Cafe Orleans (always good) and River Belle Terrace (not bad - excellent desert). At WDW, they have some better options, especially at Epcot - Garden Grill, Biergaarten. MK has Skipper Canteen and Be Our Guest. Churros and Popcorn are DLR all the way!

I think that counter service food is much better at DLR. You can get a decent burger or even pizza in-park, which is tough to do at WDW. That said, WDW has stepped it up a bit with places like Satu'li Canteen. There is still nothing that really holds a candle to Pacific Wharf Cafe though! For Table Service, I have such little experience at DLR because there aren't that many options. I've eaten at Cafe Orleans (always good) and River Belle Terrace (not bad - excellent desert). At WDW, they have some better options, especially at Epcot - Garden Grill, Biergaarten. MK has Skipper Canteen and Be Our Guest. Churros and Popcorn are DLR all the way!
Satu'li is good. Our fave spot in all of AK is Nomad Lounge.
We have Blue Bayou booked for Thanksgiving dinner and idk what to expect. Other than that, the only sit-downs we have booked are Trader Sams (also very happy they take reservations) and Storytellers.

Your original post makes it sound like you're giving it a D or F....

You're also comparing a park that was the first-ish of its kind, made with a tiny budget, to a planned resort made 16 to 33 years after the original. Hardly a fair comparison there.

Like you said, it sounds like your expectations didn't match your experience.
Totally agree. We enjoy Disneyland. But we do know our way around. WDW, for us, it is a once every 5 years park. I don't find it superior to DLR, in fact, I tell people they need to not compare the 2, they are completely different. Sort of like comparing New York and San Francisco. They are both popular cities, but thats about it.

Yip. There’s a different and better vibe at WDW. It’s more about ambience and Being There, but Anaheim is about rides, rides, rides. Which backfires because they’re CONSTANTLY going down.

And I’m totally with you on cast members. They’ve always been worse in CA vs FL. But what one of them said to me two days ago was so incredibly horrible that it literally made me sick the rest of the day. Caught it on video. I’m still here and don’t know if I’m going to say something before I leave or just wait so I can simmer.

I mean, as a native Californian, I get that we are usually not the most kind. But this was something I’d expect screamed at a political rally. It was that bad.

Last edited:
Yip. There’s a different and better vibe at WDW. It’s more about ambience and Being There, but Anaheim is about rides, rides, rides. Which backfires because they’re CONSTANTLY going down.

And I’m totally with you on cast members. They’ve always been worse in CA vs FL. But what one of them said to me two days ago was so incredibly horrible that it literally made me sick the rest of the day. Caught it on video. I’m still here and don’t know if I’m going to say something before I leave or just wait so I can simmer.

I mean, as a native Californian, I get that we are usually not the most kind. But this was something I’d expect screamed at a political rally. It was that bad.

Do share. I'm really curious about this. I have never heard a bad thing said by a cast member in all my visits.

Such a bummer. Anyone who is a Disney lover and has had that happen understands and gets how deflating it is. It’s the pits!

Since you have it a B-, I feel after a while you may be up to the challenge of trying again. I think you should! You may not love it as much as WDW, and that’s fine, but it needs a redo. And especially not in October!
Unfortunately, as @DLgal stated, you sadly went during the worst time of the year to go.

Hope you’ll give it another try someday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter