I'm never taking WDW for granted ever again

I agree with you about ride breakdowns. They need to fix that. (although 70% seems an exaggeration) I'm sorry you had a bad experience.
I have to agree. It sounds like they had a truly horrific time, yet I have never experienced anything close to this. We have been there probably 15+ trips since the parks reopened after covid, and while there are more breakdowns, saying 7 out of 10 rides broke down would be a major exaggeration for us. On Labor day (last trip with all thee grandkids, which becomes a "RIDE RIDE RIDE" trip,) we had 1 breakdown while kids were on the ride (Splash) and they were walked off (much to their delight.). According to my granddaughter (who keeps track) they rode 32 rides. If we were using the OP's percentages, 22 of those 32 rides would have gone down.

While on the OP's trip, lightening was the cause of the closures, and they felt Californian's couldn't handle the rain (it was more the lightening, I was down there the 15th, just not in the parks), during normal times, the majority of ride stops are cause by guest issues. Generally, failing to observe CMs instructions to get in and sit down quickly. Most rides have time limits for loading. And throwing this off, causes a cascade issue and the ride goes down.

I think that OP should consider another DL trip at some point at a totally different time of year. NOT in October. NOT at Thanksgiving or Christmas either.

I agree about Disneyland-ers not being able to handle the rain. Californians act like they'll melt when it rains.

We went to DL for 2 days in 2021 before they started Genie+ and did not have nearly as good a time as we'd had on prior trips. Went during part of our kids' October fall break. Parks were very crowded. Guests grumpy, pushy, demanding...the whole park had a sort of...frantic vibe to it. It was weird. Every prior trip had been fun, uplifting, joyful. But that time? Nope. It was the first time ever that I thought, "I don't think I want to come back here for awhile." Also, every quick service restaurant demanded that you only use mobile order. The whole experience was a pain in the neck.

If you add that vibe along with torrential rain + thunder & lightning for hours + even more grumpy & frantic guests, then yeah, I could TOTALLY see why the OP came to the conclusions that they did.

OP:
  • You need a do-over trip.
  • NOT in October.
  • Go again, but during the week of Memorial Day. A lot of CA schools are still in session. Long park hours (like 8 am-11 pm/12a on most days). Good weather, minimal chance of rain.
  • Stay at hotel on Harbor Blvd w/in walking distance of park entrance. Go for rope drop, leave park right after lunch.
  • Return to park for dinner, then do rides rest of the night.
  • In between, you avoid biggest crowds and instead, you hang out at the pool, rest, do whatever else you want.
  • If there's a Grad Night on some of those days, don't go to DCA after 5 pm to avoid the high school seniors flocking over there.
Our BEST trip ever was when we did the above stretched over 6 nights at Hojo's of Memorial Day week. We had 5 day park hopper tickets. It was one of the most relaxing and wonderful Disneyland trips we've ever had.

I think that OP should consider another DL trip at some point at a totally different time of year. NOT in October. NOT at Thanksgiving or Christmas either.

I agree about Disneyland-ers not being able to handle the rain. Californians act like they'll melt when it rains.

We went to DL for 2 days in 2021 before they started Genie+ and did not have nearly as good a time as we'd had on prior trips. Went during part of our kids' October fall break. Parks were very crowded. Guests grumpy, pushy, demanding...the whole park had a sort of...frantic vibe to it. It was weird. Every prior trip had been fun, uplifting, joyful. But that time? Nope. It was the first time ever that I thought, "I don't think I want to come back here for awhile." Also, every quick service restaurant demanded that you only use mobile order. The whole experience was a pain in the neck.

If you add that vibe along with torrential rain + thunder & lightning for hours + even more grumpy & frantic guests, then yeah, I could TOTALLY see why the OP came to the conclusions that they did.

OP:
  • You need a do-over trip.
  • NOT in October.
  • Go again, but during the week of Memorial Day. A lot of CA schools are still in session. Long park hours (like 8 am-11 pm/12a on most days). Good weather, minimal chance of rain.
  • Stay at hotel on Harbor Blvd w/in walking distance of park entrance. Go for rope drop, leave park right after lunch.
  • Return to park for dinner, then do rides rest of the night.
  • In between, you avoid biggest crowds and instead, you hang out at the pool, rest, do whatever else you want.
  • If there's a Grad Night on some of those days, don't go to DCA after 5 pm to avoid the high school seniors flocking over there.
Our BEST trip ever was when we did the above stretched over 6 nights at Hojo's of Memorial Day week. We had 5 day park hopper tickets. It was one of the most relaxing and wonderful Disneyland trips we've ever had.
This is the perfect description of the parks in October. Frantic.

As an Aussie I go to both parks equally.
I find DL much better on a lot of fronts.

The rain issue though, eh. California isn't set up for rain - It doesn't rain enough for them to be set up for it like in Florida, so when it does rain - just grin and bear the ride closures - plenty of other things to do besides rides.

This is my first post, but I had to register and reply to this as I couldn't disagree more. I'm a west coaster (Portland, Or) and have been to disneyland hundreds of times. I have NEVER experienced rude CM's. Quite the opposite, as they have made magic for our family many, many times (every single trip). I have seen complacent CM's but not rude, and never swearing. (Maybe things have changed recently (I was last there in August for a week).
I'm a former CM. I'm usually the first to defend other CMs, but what I saw was abysmal. Maybe it was a fluke of a weekend (and I definitely hope it was) but this was my first time out west, so I can only go off of what I noticed. And maybe it's the fact that it's a locals park and not the place where families have been saving for a decade for a once in a lifetime trip, but even the cast members who weren't rude, definitely weren't trying to spread the magic for the most part. As I said in my original post, there were a couple and they deserve their praise, but it was the exception this time.

We use DAS and have never had a problem with my son with autism and he has always been treated like royalty...including our whole family
I'm really glad to hear that, considering I also deal with it. It's always been that way for me at WDW, but I was absolutely taken aback when I heard "well this is a theme park. If you really have issues, are you sure this is the the right place for you?" Yes, I was eventually given a DAS, but seriously? I have plenty of experiences at theme parks and when I'm not overwhelmed, they're my happy place. I'm really hoping this was a one off, but that was insulting in a way that's going to take a while to forget.

Also not sure if your family specifies the diagnosis, but I tend to stay away from mentioning it because 1) most people don't believe unless they've known me for a long while or see me in the middle of a full meltdown and 2) being a woman with autism makes it that much harder for people to believe it.

Hopefully you live closer to WDW!
Thankfully, yes. It's a 2.5 hr flight/11 hr drive instead of a 6 hr flight/multiple day drive. So WDW isn't close, but definitely closer than DLR.

I agree with everybody’s suggestion to go again but at a different time of year. We’ve been to DL twice now in October and oh my Lord, so crowded. So busy. So many pushy guests. Lines really long for everything. Bleh. And this is coming from a mega DL fan.

One of my favorite times of year to go is the week of Memorial Day. Not ON Memorial Day, but like check into your hotel on Memorial Day and then go to the parks Tues-Fri of that week. Here’s why:

- summer park schedule is in place. Longer hours.
- all of the summer entertainment has started. Gives you more options
- weather is great. Not hot but also not cold.
- a lot of CA schools are still in session. So fewer school aged locals. You’ll still get a lot of guests from AZ and UT though because their schools finish the week before Memorial Day.
- usually no special overlays or anything to attract all of the locals to come out in throngs.

That time of year does have grad nights at DCA but we just avoid DCA in the evening on grad nights and it’s just fine.
How is Disneyland on grad nights? Wouldn’t it be crazy busy because everyone from DCA heads over to DL. Unfortunately our last day is a grad night this year.

I have been to both DL and WDW many times, I am from Vancouver Canada and LA is much easier to get to.

I have found cast members to be great at both parks, but I have also seen instances of rude people at both parks. I have had magic from cast members both places.

I do love DL better than MK. Way better food in my opinion (only really like Skipper’s Canteen and BoG at WDW), but don’t like their quick service options. I really miss Bengal Bbq at MK. I also love Indiana Jones at DL, and the different dark rides. I know a lot of people like Fantasmic better at DL, but I like the seating so much more in Florida.

I love AK. It is my favorite park. I wish they would have another night show. Pandora is beautiful! Love the animals, street entertainment. As someone else said, EE is my favorite coaster and the Lion King show is absolutely amazing.

Sit down dining is so much better at WDW, I don’t like all the prix fixe menus they have now since I do not like dessert in most cases. The themed restaurants are amazing. 50’s Prime Time, BoG, Biergarten, Skipper’s Canteen. So many fun places. The food in Disney Springs is better and more varied too.

Walking between parks is nice in CA, but the skyline between Epcot and HS makes that a little more flexible. Being close to the hotels is also nice in CA. Staying on property or not, it is normally no more than a 15 min walk to your hotel. I don’t like busing everywhere in WDW.

I really am going to miss ME, I loved not needing to worry about transportation.

Weather is definitely nicer in CA, but when we have gone to Florida we have always had great weather (early Dec, early Jan or March not at spring break). We laugh when it rains when we are in CA and the parks empty out; being from Vancouver it rains a lot and we are used to it

DL can feel a lot more claustrophobic when it is busy; there just isn’t enough room.

I really enjoy DCA too. Car’s land is stunning especially at night. I’m looking forward to seeing Avenger’s Campus. I wish they had something back in the Hyperion theatre to eat crowds.

Hate having to get up at 3:00 AM PST to make dining reservations. This is now horrible at DL too.

I like the variety of other theme parks at both locations too. Universal Studios Hollywood, Knott’s Berry Farm on the west coast, and Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure, SeaWorld and Aquatica in Florida.

Overall I love both places, they each have good and bad things about it. I don’t think one is better or worse.

I am sorry you didn’t have a good experience! I have had bad and great days in both resorts.

I'm a former CM. I'm usually the first to defend other CMs, but what I saw was abysmal. Maybe it was a fluke of a weekend (and I definitely hope it was) but this was my first time out west, so I can only go off of what I noticed. And maybe it's the fact that it's a locals park and not the place where families have been saving for a decade for a once in a lifetime trip, but even the cast members who weren't rude, definitely weren't trying to spread the magic for the most part. As I said in my original post, there were a couple and they deserve their praise, but it was the exception this time.
The magical cast members have declined…. I’ve never witnessed what you did, but it’s definitely not what it was pre 2020. I’ve found the plaids to be particularly unhelpful lately. There are definitely some great cast members left…. We usually have at least one positive experience and had a great one to end our day on Friday with a BTMRR CM who let us ride using a HMH LL because the plaid had given us a HMH specific LL back after we got in line using a multiple experience LL, and we had to get out of line when the ride went down because my 6 year old was about to lose it. What’s interesting though is she said “Absolutely. And because you asked so nicely, I’ll let you keep your HMH LL as well.”

I think people are just horrid right now and most cm’s are exhausted and over it.

Our first Disney experience was DL and I figured it was 'checked' until my brother talked me into sharing a room with him and his girl to WDW to save on the vacation price. My brother and I don't always get along but I'll never stop being grateful for him talking me into reducing the cost of his vacation.

I’ll start by saying I love it when WDW diehards come onto the Disneyland forum to complain about how much they hate DLR. Please tell everyone you know also. It means less crowds for us in the future.

I’ll end by saying I have been to both Florida and California parks about an equal amount. Almost 30 visits in total. I’m a former WDW diehard who discovered DLR not soon enough. I’ll most likely never return to WDW. Giant crowds, rude people and even ruder weather. No thanks.

I’ll start by saying I love it when WDW diehards come onto the Disneyland forum to complain about how much they hate DLR. Please tell everyone you know also. It means less crowds for us in the future.

I’ll end by saying I have been to both Florida and California parks about an equal amount. Almost 30 visits in total. I’m a former WDW diehard who discovered DLR not soon enough. I’ll most likely never return to WDW. Giant crowds, rude people and even ruder weather. No thanks.

I feel like both parks have something to offer, they both have their positives and negatives…. California wins for the weather 99.999999% of the time, absolutely. Disneyland is hands down a better park than Magic Kingdom.

WDW has its own problems in this post Covid, post Iger world, I’m sure.

And this is what I think is so interesting. I have encountered those things at both parks. Huge crowds. When we were at DL a few years back they had to close the park because it was at capacity. Rude people. Had people at both parks cut in line and be rude. And bad weather. We know how it rains etc in Florida but went to DL this past April and it was over 100 degrees. Neither park is perfect and both have things about them that are positives and negatives. The thing is that everyone has different likes and dislikes and opinions. It is ok that not everyone prefers the same park. Everyone can just go to the park they prefer and maybe for something different go to the other one every now and then. I will say though that I do think this thread should have been on the WDW boards.

Ok. So I hear everyone on the do over trip not in October. I'll note that for next time.

Also taking suggestions for QS, because apparently I chose incorrectly.

Disneyland Park QS "sure bets":

Plaza Inn
Bengal BBQ (rice plate is best option here)
Ronto Roasters
Docking Bay 7
Jolly Holiday Bakery
Alien Pizza Planet (for pasta or salad...pizza is only okay)
Troubadour Tavern (when they have the loaded baked potatoes)
Royal St Verandah (gumbo in bread bowl and whatever seasonal fritters they have)

DCA:
Cocina Cucamonga
Pacific Wharf Cafe
Flos V8 Cafe
Pym's Test Kitchen
Paradise Garden Grill
Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta (again, salads and pasta only)
Corn Dog Castle

I will say though that I do think this thread should have been on the WDW boards.
I disagree. The OP may be comparing to their experiences at WDW but they are talking about their experiences at DL and giving a blow by blow; someone who is looking for a DL trip would def. want this on the DL side. And the traffic on the WDW side would be questioning why this was over there because it's not Theme Parks or Attractions related to WDW.

Do you think they would get the scoop on the places people who frequent DL would suggest over on the WDW side? Do you think they would get advice on the better time to go to DL should they want to give another shot at it?

It fits where its at IMO. Now the OP can get tips or feedback on things here from people who go there a lot, have just gone there or have been there before as well as those looking to go to DL can glean info from it too :)

A couple of my favorites -

DL-French Market - Beef Stew in a bread bowl or Roast Beef Dip Sandwich
Jolly Holiday - Roast Beef and Cheddar, or Beef Birria Sandwich (might be gone or a special.)
Stage Door Cafe - Chicken Strips, Corn Dog

DCA - Garden Grill - Pretty much everything
Cocina - Quesabirria (OMG these are so good)
Flo's - Ramone's Low and Slow Club

I disagree. The OP may be comparing to their experiences at WDW but they are talking about their experiences at DL and giving a blow by blow; someone who is looking for a DL trip would def. want this on the DL side. And the traffic on the WDW side would be questioning why this was over there because it's not Theme Parks or Attractions related to WDW.

Do you think they would get the scoop on the places people who frequent DL would suggest over on the WDW side? Do you think they would get advice on the better time to go to DL should they want to give another shot at it?

It fits where its at IMO. Now the OP can get tips or feedback on things here from people who go there a lot, have just gone there or have been there before as well as those looking to go to DL can glean info from it too :)
You can disagree if you want. I'm ok with that. You make some good points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter