I'm not whining, looking for advice

patty22407

Mouseketeer
So, I broke my ankle in March, (and all the toes) and had thought I'd be recovering by now and signed up for the summer series as incentive to get back to at least walking distance. Well, I know have had an MRI and they have found grave damage to 2 tendons and will also be scraping bone shards etc. and removing titanium rods from previous repairs. I will not be walking until November at the soonest. I reached out to runDisney and they just said "no refund, no transfer". I cannot complete any of the 5ks and hate the idea of those medals mocking me. Any suggestions?

So, I broke my ankle in March, (and all the toes) and had thought I'd be recovering by now and signed up for the summer series as incentive to get back to at least walking distance. Well, I know have had an MRI and they have found grave damage to 2 tendons and will also be scraping bone shards etc. and removing titanium rods from previous repairs. I will not be walking until November at the soonest. I reached out to runDisney and they just said "no refund, no transfer". I cannot complete any of the 5ks and hate the idea of those medals mocking me. Any suggestions?

You're going to receive the medals regardless of whether you run or walk the distances this summer, so use them to your benefit. My suggestion would be to hang one or more of the medals near where you're going to be doing your exercises and rehab work at home and use it for a little boost of incentive to work on the rehab. Maybe set a realistic goal for each medal. I don't know what your recovery timeline looks like, but maybe try to walk the first 5k some time in December. For the second, maybe you can incorporate a few mild intervals to complete another in Jan/Feb. Once you get a recovery timeline from your doctor/PT, you can set up a plan to earn the 3 medals as milestones in your recovery. They're your medals and your accomplishments, you don't have to complete them on an arbitrary timeline. Good luck with your surgery and recovery!

Agreed. The plus side to it being a virtual event is you can “earn” them whenever you’re ready and not lose out on any money tied to a live event. I’d use it as motivation to do everything required to heal and recover properly, and then complete each one when you’re ready and able to. Sending well wishes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter