iMessage complimentary on the Fantasy this past week

Actually I just realized Bob Iger is on Apple's board of directors. That's probably the real reason they're doing it with an IOS platform.
Also in addition to this, if memory served me right, Steve jobs had the most Disney stock when he past away and he was also on the Disney board as well. So that's why I think the test is with apple mobile messaging platform.

Also in addition to this, if memory served me right, Steve jobs had the most Disney stock when he past away and he was also on the Disney board as well. So that's why I think the test is with apple mobile messaging platform.
Actually the Jobs family divested half of their holdings in Disney in 2017. They no longer have the most shares of stock.

Hopefully this is a sign of future things to come - i.e. beyond Apple. If they supported the "WiFi Calling" features from the major cellular carriers (just not the calling itself), it would bring Android devices into the fold. That's how Delta, for example, allows T-Mobile customers to have free texting on their flights. It works with any phone that supports WiFi Calling. That's a much better approach than a vendor locked solution.

Free anything is almost always good.

But do folks who cruise with DCL not know that for $19 they can use iMessage/text pretty much to their hearts content?
I still strikes me as odd ppl that spend $x,000 (four figures or five) being so stressed out about not being able to text when, again, for $19 they can do it for the length of the cruise...

I get that free is good. I like free stuff. I also like to point out that some people are odd.

Free anything is almost always good.

But do folks who cruise with DCL not know that for $19 they can use iMessage/text pretty much to their hearts content?
I still strikes me as odd ppl that spend $x,000 (four figures or five) being so stressed out about not being able to text when, again, for $19 they can do it for the length of the cruise...

I get that free is good. I like free stuff. I also like to point out that some people are odd.
Is that by buying the $19 connect @ sea small package?

Is that by buying the $19 connect @ sea small package?

Yes. For $19 you get 100mb... plenty for just texting (no pics)...or $39 (300mb) for medium & that one is good for texting/pics/IG..
I buy the $89 package (1GB) for work reasons (need to send/receive emails with attachments etc)... and with that one unless I give it to my DD to watch youtube or movies, I never run out of internet on a 7 night cruise.

Yes. For $19 you get 100mb... plenty for just texting (no pics)...or $39 (300mb) for medium & that one is good for texting/pics/IG..
I buy the $89 package (1GB) for work reasons (need to send/receive emails with attachments etc)... and with that one unless I give it to my DD to watch youtube or movies, I never run out of internet on a 7 night cruise.
Does WhatsApp work over the Connect at Sea?

For anyone who has been on a cruise recently, are they doing a good job letting people know about the free iMessage? I've talked with several people who just returned from a cruise and they had no idea there was free iMessage available.

For anyone who has been on a cruise recently, are they doing a good job letting people know about the free iMessage? I've talked with several people who just returned from a cruise and they had no idea there was free iMessage available.

TBH, no. I just got off the Wonder yesterday and it was the first week they had it available. I actually had no idea until my mom started receiving texts -- I was worried she somehow activated her cellular plan at sea! It wasn't until I asked at Guest Services that I found out they had brought it to the Wonder. And I had known they were introducing it on other ships, so I was on the lookout!

Those prices are per person/device, correct? Or can a family (all in the same stateroom) share that?

Those prices are per person/device, correct? Or can a family (all in the same stateroom) share that?

Per plan. Not per device or person.
You just buy a plan, designate a user name/password and start using it.. you can share it with as many ppl you want, but obviously the more ppl use it the quicker it'll drain.
I usually lie to my DD13 that I got the cheapest plan & need it for work... otherwise she'll hound me for the password & use it to be online instead of having fun on activities which is the whole idea of being on a cruise.
I buy the $89 plan & it lasts me the entire cruise (7 day) even emailing attachments, using FB, IG and texting pics to friends/family.
It's awesome - highly recommended if you need to stay connected... DCL did improve massively in their connectivity in the past couple of years.

Per plan. Not per device or person.
You just buy a plan, designate a user name/password and start using it.. you can share it with as many ppl you want, but obviously the more ppl use it the quicker it'll drain.
I usually lie to my DD13 that I got the cheapest plan & need it for work... otherwise she'll hound me for the password & use it to be online instead of having fun on activities which is the whole idea of being on a cruise.
I buy the $89 plan & it lasts me the entire cruise (7 day) even emailing attachments, using FB, IG and texting pics to friends/family.
It's awesome - highly recommended if you need to stay connected... DCL did improve massively in their connectivity in the past couple of years.

I've never considered an internet plan. I'd rather be disconnected, and more importantly, I'd like the kids (currently 17 & 14) to be disconnected a little. However, since the DCL app chat function is so bad, I could consider the smallest plan just to better keep in touch with each other.

I’m getting off the fantasy on Sunday. I paid the $89. Then I noticed that my both of my in-laws who don’t speak English, in another cabin, had free internet all week. My wife checks her phone, and she has free internet also. Not just iMessage... Only two devices connected to my 1gb account, my laptop and cellphone.

I must be doing something wrong because I burned through the $89 package trying to keep in touch with home on the last cruise.

I must be doing something wrong because I burned through the $89 package trying to keep in touch with home on the last cruise.

You have to turn off all your update features on your phone. No auto updates, no backups, etc. The hidden stuff can suck your data dry before you even notice. We normally can use the lowest plan for a week plus cruise and be ok. We are only checking in and sending a few photos, no social media, web surfing or game playing etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter