impact of the Captain and Cruise Director?

Brent was never ever anywhere to be seen, until Karl Holtz was on ship, then he suddenly changed and was greating everyone

I disagree. We thought Brent was very nice and approachable. He had a very dry sense of humor. I've noticed that you have repeated this sentiment several times throughout this thread, and it echoes of the feelings of a past poster, Disney Fantasy (including the Karl Holz mentions). I think you're both from the London area so maybe it's a regional thing?

This just demonstrates that different people connect with/gel with different Cruise Directors. It's not uncommon as different people have different personalities.

I have always had good experiences with Disney Cruise Directors (Christiaan was 100% my favorite), but honestly the Cruise Director is not make or break for me. I don't have to seek them out to say hi if I don't want to. But overall I've found them on Disney to be what I think a good Cruise Director should be. Someone who keeps the entertainment and activities running smoothly and is certainly friendly and approachable, but NOT someone who has to be in your face all the time.

I agree! We had Lesley on our WBTA last year, and I loved her; but there was at least one person from our DIS group who did not. Clayton was the only one who got on my nerves with his "who's on vacaaaaaaation!!!" shtick before every show, but he seemed like a nice enough person.

I disagree. We thought Brent was very nice and approachable. He had a very dry sense of humor. I've noticed that you have repeated this sentiment several times throughout this thread, and it echoes of the feelings of a past poster, Disney Fantasy (including the Karl Holz mentions). I think you're both from the London area so maybe it's a regional thing?

I think I posted it twice, in a thread about Cruise Directors, - personal experiences- personal opinions.
Think on a discussion on CDs it’s allowed.

They have some effect, the Captain not a lot, the CD some, it's like seeing old friends.

Natalie , ( biased as from UK, in fact England), she is excellent, she can be understated. She will muck in. Some CDs are a bit aloof, you will see her in Cabanas at breakfast clearing trays, or helping cruisers all over the ship, say on embarkation from port, she will be calling the elevators.

Rachel ( by coincidence from England) was excellent, very attentive, didn't muck in, but would pixie dust, if she spoke to a family, you may find a gift in your room, like a plush toy for the children. She then went high up in WDW.

Clayton and Christian were professional CDs ( Christian trained by Rachel). Warm, but came the entertainment route.

Clayton is a darn nice guy lots of fun.

Brent was aloof, separate, his own man.

I recall chaos on Panama crossings on Pins being purchased and long queues. Christian on one, Rachel on another were in there, in seconds, organised, got queuing tickets, cookies, drinks. Also on one crossing we had schedules changed again Rachel was straight in there.

Brent wasn't so effective on issues, quite aloof.

Yes, visibility to me the Captain has no effect , all Captains are trained to the same very very high standards so their impact on safety and cruise experience is the same, all high standards.

So yes silent and important.

For cruise experience one captain may have a different perspective and personality but it doesn't change the cruise experience, but a bad CD can impact a cruise, and a good one enhance it.

Natalie is understated and therefore has high impact in other ways. I recall her on port embarkation, there in a staff cruise jumper only with a name badge, offering out drinks, calling elevators, most would miss it thinking she is another crew member.

Brent was never ever anywhere to be seen, until Karl Holtz was on ship, then he suddenly changed and was greeting everyone.

Three times on the first page with the same animosity as a previous DISboard poster. Since you're both from the same area, I had to wonder if it's a regional thing regarding Brent's type of humor and style of work that you both find off-putting. I understand it's absolutely your opinion and that this is a discussion board, which is why I also quoted @Dug720 because she summed it up nicely.

Three times on the first page with the same animosity as a previous DISboard poster. Since you're both from the same area, I had to wonder if it's a regional thing regarding Brent's type of humor and style of work that you both find off-putting. I understand it's absolutely your opinion and that this is a discussion board, which is why I also quoted @Dug720 because she summed it up nicely.

This feels very “ personal attack” with sarcasm about people of London, saying a regional thing I take it as being very rude. Insulting Londoners.
There is no need for this attack or behaviour.
Interesting diverse comments on Darren were discussed in an responsible way between two posters with different views.
Clearly as you intend to single me out you have an agenda.

I think you have breached a number of forum rules as well as an attack on Londoners.

Hi,
I'm still relatively new to cruising. I've seen a number of Disney threads about the captain and cruise director. Why are people so interested? what impact do they have on the cruise?

Thanks for the explaining!

On DCL ship, I'm not sure. I have never found the cruise directors that "present". Don't ask me who were my cruise directors on my two first cruise, I have never noticed. I didn't even know it was a thing. On the 3rd, the cruise director was a blond woman but I can't remember her name and nothing about her "stood out" for us.

On Carnival cruises, the cruise directors are everywhere, interact a lot with the guests and add a lot of humor to everything they do. They "pop". I remember every single one of them.

Hey guys, lets remember to play nice here. Just because someone has a different opinion doesn't mean they are wrong. This is a discussion board and everyone is welcome to share their experiences and feeling about them. If you don't like what someone says, just move on, and the Cruise Board will be the happy place is should be!
:thumbsup2

Christiaan was definitely our favorite CD but we also liked Carly (found her to be very attentive to the guests, always out and about, etc). Those are the only two that we have gone out of our way to get pictures with, etc. We have also had Clayton (he was nice) and Natalie was the CD on our last two cruises. I can't remember the others but I think we did have Peter before.

As our kids have gotten older and we spend more time going to the evening shows, I have definitely come to appreciate the Club Hosts a lot more. We really enjoyed Anthony in 2015 and Jo in 2016. On our cruises last month, we had Roy (or Ron, can't remember for sure) and he was a totally different type of host. Not as high energy but definitely funny ("Now see, you all don't know what is happening over here" - my DD and I will be saying that line for years to come, LOL). We spent a lot of time at the music trivia and the evening Adult shows with him. After attending the evening shows on the first cruise with him, it was strange to see him dancing, etc at the sail away party of the second cruise because he was so mellow during the evening shows, LOL. Towards the end of our second cruise we were waiting for trivia in the Crown and Fin pub and he came over and sat down at the table with DD and I and just chatted about things like it being his first time on the Wonder, etc. I thought that was really cool. I was glad that I didn't judge him too quickly based on the first couple of times we saw him host (he was so much different from the other hosts) because we really did come to appreciate and enjoy his personality and type of humor.

As for captains, we usually attend the Captain's Signing because we have a Captain Mickey postcard that we take back each time there is a new captain to have it signed. The Captains really seem to like seeing all the other signatures and usually talk to us a bit about the other Captains and ships. But we definitely found some captains to be more friendly and talkative.

I’d had Daren before too and it had been fine, but I’m not sure what went wrong on the WBPC but something did which is why I mentioned extenuating circumstances being a possible factor.
Lots of acts got on at the start of the cruise and some of them didn’t perform until day 5!
One main headliner act a huge favourite who packs out the WDT was only given one show and had to personally ask to do another which then clashed with pirate night so that the minute the fireworks finished it was like a race to get down to Azure to see him and consequently the place was heaving so many people couldn’t get seats and had to leave. In order to accommodate this the second Match Your Mate was cancelled. Chuck Wagner was given two shows on the same night almost at the end of the cruise so the second had hardly anyone there as second diners came late for the first show and the ABBA Tribute band had to host a general music quiz much to their bemusement !!! Darren arranged nothing around the pool even though the acts were onboard and nor did he want to do the pub skit on the last night so many of us were told by other officers. The only event that did occur over 17- 23 times was family/adult karaoke which was poorly attended.
When you are onboard for 14 nights with lots of sea days the entertainment becomes more important I feel.
I’ll give Darren the benefit of the doubt that something was just not as it should have been which was out of his control.
This is disappointing to read Darren is on the WBTA this year. We were on a cruise last year with him and found the entertainment was lacking. I was hoping it was because it was a 5-night repo cruise, but maybe it was him.

Christiaan was definitely our favorite CD but we also liked Carly (found her to be very attentive to the guests, always out and about, etc).

Carly was awesome and she seemed to be everywhere! My girls were 12 and 9 when we cruised last summer and they loved her. They made it a point to watch her morning show each day.

This is disappointing to read Darren is on the WBTA this year. We were on a cruise last year with him and found the entertainment was lacking. I was hoping it was because it was a 5-night repo cruise, but maybe it was him.

Is it definitely going to be Darren on the WBTA?
Fourteen nights with lots of sea days are definitely enhanced with a good variety of entertainment so that’s where the CD plays such a pivitol role.

[QUOTE="Chirple, post: 59309015, member

Clayton was the only one who got on my nerves with his "who's on vacaaaaaaation!!!" shtick before every show, but he seemed like a nice enough person.[/QUOTE]

This 1000% Can not stand Clayton - he annoys us so much with his schtick. He seems very high on himself. We actively go to the shows late so we don’t have to hear his announcements. But we know we are in the minority as most people seem to like him. Just different tastes for different folks.

They have some effect, the Captain not a lot, the CD some, it's like seeing old friends.

Natalie , ( biased as from UK, in fact England), she is excellent, she can be understated. She will muck in. Some CDs are a bit aloof, you will see her in Cabanas at breakfast clearing trays, or helping cruisers all over the ship, say on embarkation from port, she will be calling the elevators.

Rachel ( by coincidence from England) was excellent, very attentive, didn't muck in, but would pixie dust, if she spoke to a family, you may find a gift in your room, like a plush toy for the children. She then went high up in WDW.

Clayton and Christian were professional CDs ( Christian trained by Rachel). Warm, but came the entertainment route.

Clayton is a darn nice guy lots of fun.

Brent was aloof, separate, his own man.

Interesting, all I have remembered is Christian from my four cruises.

Is it definitely going to be Darren on the WBTA?
Fourteen nights with lots of sea days are definitely enhanced with a good variety of entertainment so that’s where the CD plays such a pivitol role.
Yes according to the disney cruise blog it is Darren. We are 11 nights on the cruise. I was really hoping for Natalie. We have been on the transatlantic’s before with her and she was great, lots of fun events. Hopefully Darren will be better, with the number of nights and the colder route we will be looking for entertainment.

Yes according to the disney cruise blog it is Darren. We are 11 nights on the cruise. I was really hoping for Natalie. We have been on the transatlantic’s before with her and she was great, lots of fun events. Hopefully Darren will be better, with the number of nights and the colder route we will be looking for entertainment.

I’ve had Natalie too on a WBTA and she was amazing. It was the first time that I’d ever had her. It was also my first ever longer cruise.
Let’s hope that Darren brings his A game for this cruise.

Last edited:
This 1000% Can not stand Clayton - he annoys us so much with his schtick. He seems very high on himself. We actively go to the shows late so we don’t have to hear his announcements. But we know we are in the minority as most people seem to like him. Just different tastes for different folks.

I didn't care for Clayton that much either. Never saw him outside the shows, and something about his pre-show speeches seemed very canned/fell flat for me. Kind of reminded me of the Koala emcee in that Sing movie, but less endearing. Or maybe I just was turned off by being so annoyed at his obviously fake excuse for our cruise being the first one to have double BATB instead of Golden Mickeys.

While I don't think cruise directors can "make or break" a Disney Cruise, they can certainly enhance experiences when/where they are present.

Ashley was the CD on our December 2017 Disney Wonder cruise, and my daughter really fell in love with her. She was always saying hi to Ashley and wanted her autograph on the last night. She thought it was very cool to see someone on stage and then "in real life" around the ship, and Ashley was always very sweet to her. As a result, my daughter would like me to make her an "Ashley costume" for the next cruise.

We would have had a wonderful cruise with or without her, but it's something extra and special that my daughter remembers, which is nice.

We've had Brent, Trent, Lesley, Carly, and Peter. And there's one cruise that I can't for the life of me remember who the cruise director was. For the most part, the cruise director did not impact how much we enjoyed the cruise. Trent and Peter were the two we had on our longest cruises and both seemed to have the most lackluster personalities. I barely saw either of them around the ship. Brent and Carly would have to be my favorites. I saw both lots of places around the ship and both were very interactive with guests.

We had Peter in Alaska August 2016. I'm trying to remember the assistant cruise director...Natalie...Allison..or maybe Ashley as I see that name listed on Scott's blog. Do any of those names ring a bell to you as the assistant? Long blonde hair? It's been 2 years...

yes- that's her! Long blond hair. Ashley!

I've enjoyed sailing with Natalie several times, and I also think Carly is a terrific new cruise director. We were on her very first two cruises as a CD, and thought she did a terrific job.

I've also enjoyed Brent and Mike, as I enjoy their personalities very much. I've only had one cruise where I thought the cruise director actually had a little bit of a negative impact on the cruise, but it was the very last cruise before they went on vacation, and maybe they were just ready to go home!

I find Captain Henry and Captain Fabian the friendliest of the captains. They always seem interested in actually talking to the guests.

FAB191B8-046E-492D-A2F3-95A6D003643D.jpeg Both Natalie and Ashley were doing Alaska cruises. We did the first one this year may 21st through may28 2018 and we both of them. Here is Ashley from the first Alaska cruise

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter