• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Impossible Burger

I was going to say the same thing. The myth of cows cruising around large pastures is just that...a myth. Drive yourself down I-5 in the Central Valley of California and see what a large feed lot looks like. Awful places. And, bear in mind that grain makes them SICK. Cows were not designed to eat grain. Grass, yes. But corn? Never. Yet, in these large feed lots, it's nearly all they eat.
That's right.

Grass-fed grass-finished beef is clearly less of a problem (to the animals and to the environment) but prohibitively expensive, and impractical as a means of providing beef to the American public. CR reported on this four years ago and found grass-fed grass-finished beef to be 50% more expensive. Many families have trouble affording conventional beef, as it is, but that's not the real issue there. There simply isn't enough of it. They'd have to come up with 32 times as much pastureland as they have now, and they can't use CAFO land; it's too badly polluted. And even if the land existed, it would be practically impossible to structure a cost-effective way to acquire it, prepare it, and staff it with qualified workers familiar with that type of farming.

The way things are now, grass-fed grass-finished beef is a luxury product for the upper end of the market for protein sources.

As a 30 year vegetarian, I would love to try it but am too afraid to. I just don't trust someone in a fast food place to serve me a non-meat burger that looks just like a real one!
Also I used to get Burger King's (obvious) vegetarian burger 15 or so years ago but after watching Fast Food Nation, I can't stomach the sight of these fast food places :(

I tried the Beyond Burger yesterday and it was in my opinion GREAT! I loved it. I ate it with lettuce, tomato, onion mustard and relish. I am not a big meat eater but it did taste just like a burger you would get at MC or BK and unlike real meat, I do not have to worry about any of the guts, veins or bones be ground into it which is soooo gross.

I think it was a meme he saw on facebook or something. Not googling those always gets you in trouble. According to snopes it is similar to the ingredients list on a can of vegan dog food.....because apparently some dogs are vegans.

A dog can probably handle a vegan diet (though any dog I know wouldn't be a fan). Cats, however, can't.

Animals are still sent to the slaughterhouse in the prime of their lives whether you believe your meat is ‘clean’. They love their young just as much as we love ours.
You wonder why vegans irritate people? LOL Look no further than your opinion above.

That may or may not be the case, but, "I do less damage than X," isn't something to be proud of. How about doing as little damage as you personally have the capability of doing and still enjoying life? If eating animals is part of your identity and an intrinsic part of your self, that's one thing, but if you can find it in yourself to do better for the environment than you already are doing, then that's a gift you are giving to your grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
Show me where I said I was proud of it. Agriculture here in the U.S. contributes less than 10% of U.S. greenhouse gasses. That's all of it. Plants, animals for eating, wool production, etc, etc. This contrasts with developing countries where Agriculture's contribution can be quite high. So what we have is absolutely nothing revolutionary. We already have similar products. Further, this is a product that will be sold in a country where it does the least good, and is way too expensive to ever be sold where it could do any real good. Ahhh so now the true aim of this company comes into view. It isn't really to solve global warming. That angle is just a way to guilt trip people into paying way too much for a vanity product that does virtually nothing for what they're trying to guilt trip us about. As for me, the product has way too much sodium for me. So contrary to your lecture, I can't eat Impossible burgers in any significant amounts.

I think there are over 50 billion land animals that are killed every year for human consumption. There is the methane issue and also all the land we clear and water we use to grow food for the animals we kill. The meat and dairy industry is a real problem for the environment.
I love that people are talking about it and asking questions.

You can eliminate every single farm and ranch animal off the face of the United States and you'll barely be making a scratch in the problem. Here, agriculture's share of the U.S's greenhouse effect is more than tripled by transportation and more than tripled by Electricity production. Industry more than doubles it and Commercial and residential is greater as well. And though livestock is much bigger percentage of the problem in developing countries where they don't have the industry that we do, well this overly expensive fake hamburger isn't going to fit the bill.

:scared1: The way you describe American beef production is enough to make me want to stop eating it myself when I'm down there. Don't y'all have any family farms or ranches raising herds a hundred head or so at a time off grass, hay and silage?
Cattle in the U.S. eat grasses for the majority of their existence. The only difference is how they are finished. By the way, grass finished beef is contrary to myth, not more sustainable than grain. In fact it is less sustainable by quite a bit. It takes longer to finish increasing its environmental impact. The fact is, if we finished cattle on pure pasture, we'd require an additional 60 million acres. Wyoming, for comparison, is about 62 million acres. It's so nice to think that if we went back to Farmer Brown and 30 head for all our beef production and ditched grain combines for Ox and plow it would all be bliss. But that just isn't reality.
As for the nutritional benefits of grass fed beef let us just say they are greatly exaggerated. You always hear things like Grass fed beef has more Vitamin A, Vitamin E, omega-3 fatty acids. That is true but the cold hard fact of the matter is you don't eat beef for any of those things. and the differences are insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Let's just take Omega 3 for example.
Your doctor says you need more Omega 3. Do you think he's going to say eat Grass finished beef? It's amount is trivially more than grain finished in the grand scheme of things and neither are a good source of it. He's going to tell you to eat some Salmon.

Another video to shatter the illusion (or delusion) regarding grass feeding. Here's how they make grass pellets.

Mooooooo Dibs on the pellets made from the black glob. Sincerely, Bessie.

And before anyone complains about me using a female name, Yeah I know. But it's still my fave for those particular animals so I use it anyway.

If 20% of people order Impossible Whoppers that's 20% less cows being used at Burger King, and other fast food places will start to notice as well
Burger King isn't selling Impossible Whoppers as a substitute for Whoppers because the Impossible Whopper as it is priced now is a loss leader. They're selling them hoping that More families with someone that won't eat meat in them will stop by in effect selling more beef Whoppers, not fewer. And at least in the short term, it appears to be working.

Last edited:
Did I say something untrue? Yes I get that it hits a nerve.

Actually yes. You confuse "love" for their instinct to protect their offspring in order to keep their species going.
They know their place in the food chain, they know they exist as some other animal's food source. They don't even know they know it, they are animals it is just in their DNA.
That is where we human animals come in. It is in our DNA to consume them.

I've been pescetarian for the past 2 years, and just tried the Impossible Whopper. Yum! As a blended family (vegetarian-pescetarian-omnivores + food allergies) it's often difficult to go places that will cover everyone. Especially if we're on a road trip or have an especially busy day. A lot of the fast food places don't really have an option at all, unless I want a meal of side salad + french fries (hint: I don't). I know the impossible whopper is not really any more healthy than the meat version, but it's nice to know that it's an option if I need something quick.

I know some vegetarians don't like fake meat at all, and some love it. I don't eat a lot of it, as I don't think it's all that healthy, but having spent the majority of my life as a meat eater, sometimes I still just crave a burger, and this is a really good substitute for that. My vegetarian child won't eat any fake meat at all, but surprisingly, the omnivore sibling prefers the fake meat chicken nuggets to the real thing.

Now if Wendy's would just add some veggie chili. They don't even need fake meat crumbles ... just beans will do fine!

Show me where I said I was proud of it. Agriculture here in the U.S. contributes less than 10% of U.S. greenhouse gasses. That's all of it. Plants, animals for eating, wool production, etc, etc. This contrasts with developing countries where Agriculture's contribution can be quite high. So what we have is absolutely nothing revolutionary. We already have similar products. Further, this is a product that will be sold in a country where it does the least good, and is way too expensive to ever be sold where it could do any real good. Ahhh so now the true aim of this company comes into view. It isn't really to solve global warming. That angle is just a way to guilt trip people into paying way too much for a vanity product that does virtually nothing for what they're trying to guilt trip us about. As for me, the product has way too much sodium for me. So contrary to your lecture, I can't eat Impossible burgers in any significant amounts.

You can eliminate every single farm and ranch animal off the face of the United States and you'll barely be making a scratch in the problem. Here, agriculture's share of the U.S's greenhouse effect is more than tripled by transportation and more than tripled by Electricity production. Industry more than doubles it and Commercial and residential is greater as well. And though livestock is much bigger percentage of the problem in developing countries where they don't have the industry that we do, well this overly expensive fake hamburger isn't going to fit the bill.

Cattle in the U.S. eat grasses for the majority of their existence. The only difference is how they are finished. By the way, grass finished beef is contrary to myth, not more sustainable than grain. In fact it is less sustainable by quite a bit. It takes longer to finish increasing its environmental impact. The fact is, if we finished cattle on pure pasture, we'd require an additional 60 million acres. Wyoming, for comparison, is about 62 million acres. It's so nice to think that if we went back to Farmer Brown and 30 head for all our beef production and ditched grain combines for Ox and plow it would all be bliss. But that just isn't reality.
As for the nutritional benefits of grass fed beef let us just say they are greatly exaggerated. You always hear things like Grass fed beef has more Vitamin A, Vitamin E, omega-3 fatty acids. That is true but the cold hard fact of the matter is you don't eat beef for any of those things. and the differences are insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Let's just take Omega 3 for example.
Your doctor says you need more Omega 3. Do you think he's going to say eat Grass finished beef? It's amount is trivially more than grain finished in the grand scheme of things and neither are a good source of it. He's going to tell you to eat some Salmon.

Another video to shatter the illusion (or delusion) regarding grass feeding. Here's how they make grass pellets.

Mooooooo Dibs on the pellets made from the black glob. Sincerely, Bessie.

And before anyone complains about me using a female name, Yeah I know. But it's still my fave for those particular animals so I use it anyway.

Burger King isn't selling Impossible Whoppers as a substitute for Whoppers because the Impossible Whopper as it is priced now is a loss leader. They're selling them hoping that More families with someone that won't eat meat in them will stop by in effect selling more beef Whoppers, not fewer. And at least in the short term, it appears to be working.
In the long run, Impossible Foods is aiming for a price that's lower than for common ground beef. And once they can go into massive production I'm pretty sure the costs will go down. I doubt that Burger King is losing anything other than perhaps their specials. Impossible Foods is heavily invested by VCs with the hope being a payoff at the end like any other other startup company.

But in the end who are we as a society if we don't try? I remember arguing with a coworker over the issue of greenhouse gases. He believed in the science, but for him the big thing was that water vapor was the biggest greenhouse gas, so why bother.

You wonder why vegans irritate people? LOL Look no further than your opinion above.
You do have to admit though that nobody is as annoying as Elon Musk Fan boys on the net.

In the long run, Impossible Foods is aiming for a price that's lower than for common ground beef. And once they can go into massive production I'm pretty sure the costs will go down. I doubt that Burger King is losing anything other than perhaps their specials. Impossible Foods is heavily invested by VCs with the hope being a payoff at the end like any other other startup company.

But in the end who are we as a society if we don't try? I remember arguing with a coworker over the issue of greenhouse gases. He believed in the science, but for him the big thing was that water vapor was the biggest greenhouse gas, so why bother.

And I'm still waiting for that promised safe and sane Tesla battery that has 10 times the energy of TNT and can go 1,000 miles on a charge and be charged in 10 minutes on that affordable $15,000 Tesla too. But I'm not holding my breath. The cold hard reality is people often make grandiose promises to make money they can't keep. Reality falls way short of the hype.
By the way there is no try . There is only do and do not do. And what I do are things that I know will work. What I do not do is over priced hype.

You do have to admit though that nobody is as annoying as Elon Musk Fan boys on the net.

And I'm still waiting for that promised safe and sane Tesla battery that has 10 times the energy of TNT and can go 1,000 miles on a charge and be charged in 10 minutes on that affordable $15,000 Tesla too. But I'm not holding my breath. The cold hard reality is people often make grandiose promises to make money they can't keep. Reality falls way short of the hype.
By the way there is no try . There is only do and do not do. And what I do are things that I know will work. What I do not do is over priced hype.
Well, having tasted an Impossible Whopper, I think they simulated the taste and texture of meat right. But I can see the costs going down. I distinctly remember technologies that seemed way too expensive since the target was early adopters, but with economies of scale the price did go down. My first DVD player cost $1000 and now I can buy a Blu-Ray player for $50. A recordable CD used to cost $15 and the recorder about $2000, but now it’s a quarter and maybe $15.

The ingredients are inherently cheaper than meat, so the projections aren’t just pie in the sky. However, they’re getting massive demand right now with a limited supply, and they can charge a lot for it. It’s not sustainable with a single factory in Oakland, but it could be once the processes are mature and they have multiple factories around the country or even the world.

So are you saying that you're irritated by other people expressing compassion and consideration that you yourself don't feel?

Show me where I said I was proud of it.
So are you saying that you posted a declaration online that you were embarrassed about?

I'm not sure I understanding either of you correctly.

So are you saying that you're irritated by other people expressing compassion and consideration that you yourself don't feel?

So are you saying that you posted a declaration online that you were embarrassed about?

I'm saying quit attaching human emotions to animals.

Animals do not feel human emotions.

So no then. You can't show me where I said I was proud of it. And to spare another post, you won't be able to show me where I said I was embarrassed about it either.

I'm saying quit attaching human emotions to animals. Animals do not feel human emotions.
Emotions aren't specific to humans. The primary difference between humans and other animals is that we have the ability to introspect - to think about having emotions - as well as to consider that others, including animals, have emotions too. To be fair, it isn't exactly the same for all animals. Mollusks almost surely have practically no emotional capacity, and fish have significantly less emotional complexity that humans. However, once you get to the point where you're talking about mammals, there is no reasonable basis to deny the presence of both basic and complex emotions.

It'll be interesting to see how long "animal emotion deniers" linger, as compared to other deniers of scientific evidence such as climate change deniers and such.

So no then. You can't show me where I said I was proud of it. And to spare another post, you won't be able to show me where I said I was embarrassed about it either.
So you aren't really saying anything, then, are you?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter