• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Impressions from 5/27 - cancelling June 12

Skyegirl1999

DIS Veteran
TL;DR: There's still magic, but not enough for us to use our $600+ hoppers on June 12. "Should I go right now?" It's complicated... (If anyone wants to coordinate with me cancelling our June 12 parkhoppers for 3, starting at DCA, let me know.)

My daughter and I went to DL only on Thursday, 5/27. Previously, we'd gone (with my husband) on re-opening day, with park-hoppers, and we had an amazing time that day. This was a "mother-daughter Disney day," with tickets I got for Mother's Day. We had a wonderful time together and made lots of special new memories - I am very glad we went - but, we also decided to cancel our upcoming family reservations for June 12 in hope that the park experience will improve after that. At this point, it's just kind of... exhausting?

My big question is, "What's going to happen as the summer goes on?" Is it going to get better, or get worse? If it stays as it is now - limited ride capacity, VERY limited and strange food options, no entertainment, etc. - and then they add MORE people - that's going to be worse, obviously. But. They're bringing the band back. Hours are increasing in July. Perhaps ride capacity limits/distancing will diminish or go away? Perhaps more entertainment? For the love of Mickey pretzels, we can hope for more food? If that happens, even with more people, the EXPERIENCE might be much improved. So, we are holding out hope for that. We decided we'd rather gamble on something better than use our hoppers on June 12 for the current experience, even if it means waiting to see Avenger's Campus.

Some thoughts/information for those who are curious:

- We spent almost exactly 13 hours in the parks (basically from 8:20am to 9:20pm). We parked at Gardenwalk around 7:40, for reference. The Harbor line looked absolutely terrifying but moved very quickly. We rode Indiana Jones and were on Pirates before 9.

- The park felt crowded. Absolutely. Not slammed, not chaotic, but "crowded," for sure. I would certainly not describe it as "low crowds," and I think that anyone going and expecting to experience "low crowds" is going to be disappointed. It did clear out quite a bit by 7, so if you can hang on until the end of the day, there is the opportunity to pack in some rides then.

- The food situation at the parks mystifies me, as I mentioned in another thread. We were able to get everything we wanted because we understand mobile ordering well, put in orders early, know we can cancel orders, were familiar with the menus already, etc. MANY MANY people were very confused and unhappy about how difficult it is simply to obtain food to eat, and I don't blame them. Also, Blue Bayou only has 11 tables and is not doing walk-ups, despite what the app says.

- Lines: Some wait times were overestimated, and some were underestimated. To be honest, we rarely even paid attention to posted wait times. We just looked at lines and asked the CMs holding the "line starts here" signs - THEY were fairly accurate. Be warned that those "line starts here" signs can be a long way from the ride entrance - this is part of what feels exhausting. At one point, we were in the Peter Pan line, which started across from Pixie Hollow, snaked by the wishing well, under the castle, and then got to the normal queue. When we were by the wishing well, we had a good view of family after family walking under the castle, rounding the corner, and then beholding the long line ahead. They would just SLUMP. The body language was incredible. Honestly, it was probably still a shorter wait than Peter Pan "normally" is (I wouldn't know for sure; it broke down after we waited 15 minutes, and we bailed 10 minutes later.) But for a family who's fought the nonsense in Fantasyland to get to the Peter Pan sign, been directed down this way, and now realizes it's a hike to even get to where the line STARTS? That visible shoulder slump said it all.

- Because we rode SO MUCH on opening day, this was more of a "low-key" day to hit stuff we didn't do then, plus some favorites. Lots of emphasis on snacks, and we took a lot of pictures because we were in cute outfits. 😂 What we did:
-Indiana Jones
-Pirates
-horse-drawn carriage
-double-decker bus
-*characters, pictures, snacks from Jolly Holiday
-Casey Jr.
-Disneyland RR
-*more characters*
-Gadget's Go-Coaster
-Roger Rabbit
-*got lunch - Stage Door Cafe, easy with no wait to pick up (It was 12:30 at this point - placed the order at 11ish?)
-Mark Twain
-*more characters and snacks - dole whips
-Star Tours
- Tiki Room
-*more snacks - pickle and Bengal BBQ
-Millennium Falcon
-*Rise of the Resistance broke down while we were in line
- *pictures
-*Peter Pan ALSO broke down while we were in line
- *more characters
- *Dinner at Cafe Orleans (do not recommend)
- *More Bengal BBQ for my kiddo because the kids meal at CO was... lacking
-Tarzan's Treehouse
- Mr. Toad's
- Teacups
- Alice in Wonderland
- Big Thunder
- *snack - Mickey beignets
- Haunted Mansion

I am HAPPY to answer any questions.

Last edited:
This is a very timely post. We have park reservations next week (June 1-4), and we've been debating about whether to cancel last minute. I have to decide by tonight. There are a variety of reasons, but the increasing number of reports like yours or those that are downright negative have been weighing on me. We have 4-day park hoppers that I could apply to our DVC trip in September instead. This trip was a last minute one to be there for the opening of Avengers and hit the parks while the crowds were low. Clearly I missed the low crowd window. I'm a VGC member but we weren't able to secure reservations so we are staying off site, which also isn't as appealing. We went to WDW in March so we've had our immediate post-quarantine Disney fix. I know we'd have fun, and DS really wants to go, but given the outlay of cash for accommodations and food, I'm debating...

Thanks so much for the report. The picture of you and your daughter is adorable, BTW. So cute!

I'm really glad you shared your recent experience AND can compare it to the earlier actual *low crowds* of opening weekend. I had reservations for DL this past Tuesday and ended up canceling them after reading a bunch of experiences similar to yours. I am just going to risk waiting to see what happens after 6/15. I really hope staffing improves, ride lines improve, more entertainment comes back, more things are opened (here's looking at you Tom Sawyer's Island and the DL Firehouse) and above all else, that the food situation improves! I really hope we will see more restaurants with more menu items and less hassle ordering food. The food situation HAS to improve if they are going to let more guests in, right???

I have a new reservation for 7/6. If reports after 6/15 aren't more positive I'll just postpone again. I will wait however long it takes. I want to go back to DL but not at normal prices but with a diminished experience.

That said, I have DCA reservations for 6/8 that I'm keeping since we are going with my SIL and niece who can't change their date. We will go and it will be fun but I am going into it with lowered expectations. I'm definitely not preparing for low crowds.

Finally, your outfits are incredible! I am in love!

Thanks for the post. I originally had park hoppers with my wife for tomorrow. It was going to be the first time we go without kids and I've been looking forward to it for a long time. We had to cancel because my sister got sick and she was going to take the kids. This would have been our first time back since DL closed and I was already thinking that the crowds over the holiday weekend combined with limited ride capacity and the food situation would have made it less than ideal. After reading your post it pretty much confirmed it for me and now I think this was a blessing in disguise. Guess I'll try to book something in July and hope things get better. And the Disneyland Hotel will be open by then too!

This about sums up everything I wanted to say (was in park May 23-24)! I had a father/daughter day with my 7yo, had a blast.

The crowds definitely “felt” crowded, but the actual wait times were very good (longest was 30 mins…for the carousel, lol). It makes you appreciate the artistry behind queue design that Disney perfected long ago…a one hour Indy line IN the real line/cave structure feels shorter than a rapidly moving 30min line when you have to loop through Jungle Cruise’s queue (or waiting in the sun at IASW).

I agree with your decision to punt later. I originally thought of going in August and again in November. August is now 50/50 depending on park experiences, November the only must-go trip I have (VGC points expiring, though).

As much fun as we had, paying full rack rates for the gate hurts. We survived a year+ without DL, got our fix… time to wait until it’s 100% back.

We went Monday 5/24, and agree with most of what you wrote. For me, I found it to be very crowded. Not the worst I've ever seen, but much more crowded than I expected even a normal Monday to be, let alone a "reduced capacity" Monday. Of course, we haven't been to DLR for several years, ever since DGD decided she didn't want to go to DLR with her grandparents any more :(. So what do I know. It just wasn't at all what I was expecting.

The food situation is beyond abysmal. Thankfully, I had been reading these boards, so I ordered lunch at Plaza Inn at 9am, for pickup at noon, so we were OK for that. But I didn't expect to not be able to at least get a soft drink from the carts without a 1/2 hour+ wait. So we passed on that. And we left the park for dinner, and decided not to return (partly crowds, partly the heat, partly because DW's bum knee was acting up and she could barely walk by that time).

We brought some snacks, but we weren't prepared to be told that we couldn't eat while waiting in the long lines. We also weren't prepared to try to dodge those very long lines everywhere we went, particularly in Adventureland. And yes, we were some of the ones who simply SLUMPED, as you put it, when we followed the Pan line through the castle and past the wishing well.

I agree, not worth it (to us) to go back until they can get the situation somewhat back to normal. I'll continue to read trip reports here until I get a sense that that is happening. Thank you for your report, Skyegirl1999.

And yes, those outfits are beyond adorable.

We went Monday 5/24, and agree with most of what you wrote. For me, I found it to be very crowded. Not the worst I've ever seen, but much more crowded than I expected even a normal Monday to be, let alone a "reduced capacity" Monday. Of course, we haven't been to DLR for several years, ever since DGD decided she didn't want to go to DLR with her grandparents any more :(. So what do I know. It just wasn't at all what I was expecting.

The food situation is beyond abysmal. Thankfully, I had been reading these boards, so I ordered lunch at Plaza Inn at 9am, for pickup at noon, so we were OK for that. But I didn't expect to not be able to at least get a soft drink from the carts without a 1/2 hour+ wait. So we passed on that. And we left the park for dinner, and decided not to return (partly crowds, partly the heat, partly because DW's bum knee was acting up and she could barely walk by that time).

We brought some snacks, but we weren't prepared to be told that we couldn't eat while waiting in the long lines. We also weren't prepared to try to dodge those very long lines everywhere we went, particularly in Adventureland. And yes, we were some of the ones who simply SLUMPED, as you put it, when we followed the Pan line through the castle and past the wishing well.

I agree, not worth it (to us) to go back until they can get the situation somewhat back to normal. I'll continue to read trip reports here until I get a sense that that is happening. Thank you for your report, Skyegirl1999.

And yes, those outfits are beyond adorable.

5/24 was a very hot day, and we were struggling midday. I had no qualms about drinking water in the outdoor lines once we stopped and were away from other people (which was tough because I literally had to swing my legs around and bend over/stick my butt out so people wouldn’t crowd against me in line), I’m sure DL didn’t want to bring medics on site for dehydration!

I had packed trail mix after reading trip reports about the food situation, those were rapidly shoved into my mouth when we got a chance.

Still fun though, and I have to say this is my FIRST Disney trip ever where I’ve lost 2lbs just from the lack of available food/rules against walking and eating/eating in line.

My guess is the limited menu options coupled with the tiny kids meal portions along with the absolutely militant inflexibility in ordering. You get what the menu says , no substitutions. Like, kids can't get fries as a side, even though they have them available at the restaurant. Ridiculous.
Oh wow!

We went to WDW in March so we've had our immediate post-quarantine Disney fix. I know we'd have fun, and DS really wants to go, but given the outlay of cash for accommodations and food, I'm debating...
You've really articulated the dilemma here. There is fun to be had! It's Disneyland! But if you've recently gotten that "Disney fix," when you look at the expense for what you're getting, AND when you think "it might be better in a couple of weeks/months/etc."... it's a challenging debate.

I am just going to risk waiting to see what happens after 6/15. I really hope staffing improves, ride lines improve, more entertainment comes back, more things are opened (here's looking at you Tom Sawyer's Island and the DL Firehouse) and above all else, that the food situation improves! I really hope we will see more restaurants with more menu items and less hassle ordering food. The food situation HAS to improve if they are going to let more guests in, right???
This is what we're hoping for, too! Fingers and toes crossed...

After reading your post it pretty much confirmed it for me and now I think this was a blessing in disguise. Guess I'll try to book something in July and hope things get better. And the Disneyland Hotel will be open by then too!
I think there's a chance that in hindsight, the "parks were at 35% capacity but everything was still suuuuuper limited" period of time may end up being seen as a pretty challenging time to have been at the parks, all things considered. I hope that when you are able to make your trip, you have an amazing time!

I'm praying things will be better by August when we plan to go.

This is purely speculation but I wonder if they decided to just limp along with the most limited staffing, cutting costs method possible until after 6/15 when they can make their own decisions regarding capacity just so they could squeeze as much money as possible during this time. Maybe they plan on upping it again at that point and bringing back more staff/food operations all at once. Plus at that point they can start seating people next to each other on rides and shortening queues to not have 6-ft distancing (if they decide to) which would make the lines much more bearable.

If they don't change things though then yikes... I'd be postponing my trip if things are still like this with the dining options. We became pros of the line waiting at WDW with no FP so I'm prepared for that but food is half the experience for us! And Disneyland has the best food (usually) so this is just unacceptable. I'm a vegetarian too and from reading half these reports I think I would be in for a headache.

I agree with your decision to punt later. I originally thought of going in August and again in November. August is now 50/50 depending on park experiences, November the only must-go trip I have (VGC points expiring, though).

As much fun as we had, paying full rack rates for the gate hurts. We survived a year+ without DL, got our fix… time to wait until it’s 100% back.
I'm glad you had fun, and I definitely understand what you're saying about August being 50/50 - I'm going to be watching park experiences closely, especially during July.

I'm sorry that you had a somewhat disappointing experience. I totally get it - the early reports of low crowds (which we experienced April 30!) are not at ALL what is happening right now. I hope next time you guys are able to come back, you have a wonderful time!

What happened at cafe Orleans?
DLGal speaks truth. 😂 We had a 6:20 reservation; checked in the moment we were able to (6:00) on the app. Had booked it for a "nice, sit-down break." Checked at 6:20 to make sure I hadn't done something wrong - nope, no table yet. Got table text at 6:34. Sat down, asked to order salad starter without goat cheese, pecans, or dressing for daughter - nope, "toppings can't be customized." This was surprising to me because of allergies? So we just ordered our food - shrimp and grits for me, chicken with crudités and fruit for her. Tried to get her a lemonade - "well, we only have the light pomegranate lemonade; kids usually don't like it because it's fake sugar stuff." She eventually got apple juice. (The server was very nice and apologetic about all of this.) The only dessert is a cheesecake, which we don't really care for, so no dessert.

Food arrives, I kid you not, less than four minutes later. It's not even 6:40 yet! We got the text at 6:34! On the one hand, I certainly can't complain about slow service - on the other hand, clearly this food has just been sitting around, and so much for our "nice break."

My shrimp and grits were perfectly fine. Kids meal was beyond gross. Three sad slices of crusty, rubbery chicken breast. A bowl of the mushiest, most bruised-looking black grapes I've ever seen. Dried out carrots and celery sitting in a pool of congealed ranch dressing. (There was a nice cherry tomato on top, which she ate, along with a few bites of the chicken.) My daughter was so sad, I pulled out my phone and mobile ordered Bengal BBQ for her on the spot.

Server comes to pick up food. Notices daughter has barely eaten anything and asks if we want a box for the grapes. I said, "no, unfortunately they're pretty mushy, it's ok." She leaves and comes back with the check, and she'd taken my daughter's meal off "since she didn't really eat it," which was unexpected and very much appreciated. (I tipped her the cost back; none of this was her fault!)

So, yeah. Can't really recommend that...

I'm glad you had fun, and I definitely understand what you're saying about August being 50/50 - I'm going to be watching park experiences closely, especially during July.

I'm sorry that you had a somewhat disappointing experience. I totally get it - the early reports of low crowds (which we experienced April 30!) are not at ALL what is happening right now. I hope next time you guys are able to come back, you have a wonderful time!

DLGal speaks truth. 😂 We had a 6:20 reservation; checked in the moment we were able to (6:00) on the app. Had booked it for a "nice, sit-down break." Checked at 6:20 to make sure I hadn't done something wrong - nope, no table yet. Got table text at 6:34. Sat down, asked to order salad starter without goat cheese, pecans, or dressing for daughter - nope, "toppings can't be customized." This was surprising to me because of allergies? So we just ordered our food - shrimp and grits for me, chicken with crudités and fruit for her. Tried to get her a lemonade - "well, we only have the light pomegranate lemonade; kids usually don't like it because it's fake sugar stuff." She eventually got apple juice. (The server was very nice and apologetic about all of this.) The only dessert is a cheesecake, which we don't really care for, so no dessert.

Food arrives, I kid you not, less than four minutes later. It's not even 6:40 yet! We got the text at 6:34! On the one hand, I certainly can't complain about slow service - on the other hand, clearly this food has just been sitting around, and so much for our "nice break."

My shrimp and grits were perfectly fine. Kids meal was beyond gross. Three sad slices of crusty, rubbery chicken breast. A bowl of the mushiest, most bruised-looking black grapes I've ever seen. Dried out carrots and celery sitting in a pool of congealed ranch dressing. (There was a nice cherry tomato on top, which she ate, along with a few bites of the chicken.) My daughter was so sad, I pulled out my phone and mobile ordered Bengal BBQ for her on the spot.

Server comes to pick up food. Notices daughter has barely eaten anything and asks if we want a box for the grapes. I said, "no, unfortunately they're pretty mushy, it's ok." She leaves and comes back with the check, and she'd taken my daughter's meal off "since she didn't really eat it," which was unexpected and very much appreciated. (I tipped her the cost back; none of this was her fault!)

Yikes. That is just ... yikes.
What if you DID have an allergy? Are they saying they won’t accommodate that? So very strange. The food situation just sounds like such a huge mess, which is disappointing because Disneyland food is usually so good for a theme park and it’s also half our itinerary on any given day. 😆

This sounds like nightmare fuel for parents with picky eaters.

Have they at least opened more pretzel carts yet? Or are they still just running the one?

Yikes. That is just ... yikes.
What if you DID have an allergy? Are they saying they won’t accommodate that? So very strange. The food situation just sounds like such a huge mess, which is disappointing because Disneyland food is usually so good for a theme park and it’s also half our itinerary on any given day. 😆
I guess they can’t do salad changes? I mean, goat cheese and pecans are not exactly typical salad toppers, and cut out all the dairy and nut people!

We did have good mobile order experiences all day. No crazy waits or issues. So we walked away happy about lots of yummy Disney treats. But dinner was a bust. 🤷‍♀️😆
This sounds like nightmare fuel for parents with picky eaters.

Have they at least opened more pretzel carts yet? Or are they still just running the one?
I think they’re still just across from Big Thunder. They were out of them there by mid-afternoon; we heard CMs talking to sad guests...

The food situation is not good. It needs fixing.

Last edited:
I guess they can’t do salad changes? I mean, goat cheese and pecans are not exactly typical salad toppers, and cut out all the dairy and nut people!

Sounds like a lot of the food is pre-made at the moment. Maybe someone comes in the mornings and prepares a lot of it and then they just slap it on a plate and microwave what needs to be heated up? I worked in food service all through college and this is pretty common. I won't tell you where I worked. :rotfl2:

Thank you for posting, Skyegirl1999. I'm sorry your second visit didn't live up to the first. You and your daughter look wonderful, however! (I love your masks and saw it in your shop before our trip. I was so bummed as I knew I couldn't get it in time!)

Your experience really mirrors a lot of what me and my family felt about ours a few weeks ago. It was our first time back so of course we were excited and are glad we went. But for the cost right now without our APs, it's hard to imagine paying so much to return without some additional changes. As my sister said at one point when I asked her if "the magic was back?"...yes, but at times it's anemic. Granted, still we're talking about wishing we were back in the parks. 🙂 But not at what it cost us, both in dollars and experiences. Between the line (not appearance of them due to distancing, but actual waits) and limited food options (we didn't have issues with mobile ordering for the most part due to planning ahead in DL and ample return times all weekend in CA, but the lack of menu options made dinners in particular less satisfying) and just a less lively energy, we're going to hold off on returning for now.

I feel like the food situation (which is not ideal) is getting the bulk of the conversation, so I want to highlight that we once again had some really wonderful character interactions. It's funny because I would have told you pre-opening that I had way more faith in food being "normal" than characters, but we've had some really nice character experiences both times. A few highlights:

Cruella walked by in Town Square and we had a funny, spontaneous chat with her - at one point, she asked my daughter if she had any pets, and my daughter said, "mice," and she was like, "MICE?! What, did you need help with your sewing?!" 😂 She was quite funny.

Elsa noticed a blue crystal thing hanging around my daughter's neck (NO idea how she spotted it from a distance) and had quite chat with her about it.

While we were on the train at the Main Street station, Mickey turned around and interacted with us for awhile - even spotted our Minnie NuiMOs and made lots of hearts and kisses. These people have some amazing eyesight.

Obviously Aurora was a fan of our outfits, although she didn't really give us a straight answer to "pink or blue?" 😉

Rey was quite interested in how we'd done flying the Falcon (we were pretty rusty), so she gave us some tips.

We also interacted with Alice, Mary and Bert, the Wicked Queen, and a bunch of the main gang in Toontown. Maybe a few others. But yeah, good character times for sure; this is something that has very much exceeded my expectations.

And there are a lot of CMs working very hard and being very positive and cheerful and helpful in spite of some real challenges.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter