• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

improving your blood numbers

Tiggeroo

Grammar Nazi
dh and I just got bloodwork done and both of us had the same issues. Cholesterol and sugar too high. We had already been working on improving/preventing this problem but unfortunately have been off track due to too many distractions the past few months. Probably a bad time to get the bloodwork done. We are increasing our exercise, eliminating most added sugar foods, increasing some veg and some other stuff. If our numbers don't drop in the next 90 days we may be looking at some meds so we are getting pretty serious. What have you done to improve this in your own life ? What has proven to be successful?

For me, when I was looking to manipulate cholesterol and glucose numbers with diet, I avoided grains such as wheat. I also began taking a few supplements such as magnesium and vitamin D. Much of what I learned concerning that came from Dr. Davis's sight. One of his articles on raising HDL cholesterol, the often mentioned healthy cholesterol, can be read ~

"Blow your HDL through the roof"

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2015/06/blow-your-hdl-through-the-roof/

30 minutes of daily cardio and increase consumption of fruits and veg. Also, cut the fast food lunches. I am by no means thin (I love my carbs), but this did help me drop 30 lbs and got my numbers to a reasonable level where I don't need meds. That was the motivation five years ago when they told me that I may need them.

I agree with the others--cut your processed carbs. I'm glad you want to tackle this versus the meds. The doctors will make you think that the statins are no big deal (and beneficial in some cases) but there's always a price to pay with these drugs.

What helped me the most was becoming vegan, and meeting with a vegan dietitian (Brenda Davis). Plus I feel better not contributing to the suffering and early death of animals.

The best way to fix your numbers? Lose weight.

Increase your activity. Increase your healthy fats (avocado, olive oil, fish). Decrease your unhealthy fats (saturated fats).

Don't worry much about the cholesterol in foods. It has little to no impact on blood serum levels.

My numbers improved a lot just by doing all of that.

I am uncomfortable with statins. They are a last ditch thing. I had to convince the doc to give the dh extra time and not throw him right no statins. Some of the research I read is that they are not really the wonder drug we think. So it's a 90 day boot camp to get those number improving. From what I read, get the sugars improved and the cholesterol may very well follow.

I'm at a loss for this myself. I recently dropped 20 pounds, began cardio 5 days a week and make virtually every meal from scratch to lower my cholesterol and was greeted by a 70 point increase. . .

My aunt is a vegetarian who runs marathons and is on cholesterol meds. Sometimes you can do everything right and genetics still screw you.

Thanks to the pp for that HDL link though, is gives me some hope:

A dramatic rise in HDL values is common following the Wheat Belly wheat/grain-free lifestyle. However, note that recent weight loss causes an initial drop in HDL, sometimes dramatic, that “rebounds” over time. HDL can also respond slowly. A typical response, for example, for a 240 pound man who starts with an HDL value of 35 mg/dl would be a drop to 27 mg/dl while losing 40 pounds, rebounding to 40 mg/dl 3 months after weight loss has ceased, then 63 mg/dl 1-2 years later. So time and patience is key.

Maybe my weight loss is just too recent . . . My HDL did drop

I don't know how typical this is, but my HDL went from somewhere in the 70s to 109 and the only thing I did differently was exercise. I'm due again for bloodwork within the next month and I'm anxious to see what it is this time.

I'm at a loss for this myself. I recently dropped 20 pounds, began cardio 5 days a week and make virtually every meal from scratch to lower my cholesterol and was greeted by a 70 point increase. . .

My aunt is a vegetarian who runs marathons and is on cholesterol meds. Sometimes you can do everything right and genetics still screw you.

This is true. But they are now discovering that it's not horrible to have high cholesterol and, in some cases, it is protective against Alzheimer's. I just get tired of them throwing a pill at everything and I feel they just don't know enough.

I totally agree. I've resisted meds so far, and my doctor is content to give me a bit more time to keep trying to lower it on my own. I'm not ready to give up yet.

High fiber helped me for awhile, this year my number jumped back up, but the year before I'd gotten it down considerably by increasing my fiber. I aim for 25-30 grams per day

More fiber, protein and healthy fats. Less sugar and bread. Though that's always hard... try iifym diet and choose less bread for carbs.

I actually dropped my cholesterol 45 points by eating salads for lunch. I'm sorta convinced I just hadn't fasted enough the first time though lol...

I eat tons of bread and some processed foods, stay away from eating mammals, and use extra virgin olive oil on everything that would normally get butter. I drink a lot of green tea. I don't really exercise. My cholesterol levels are fantastic, my blood pressure is fantastic, and my BMI is 20. I'm in my fifties. If things start to go downhill (expecting it in my 60's) then I'll change things a bit, but my doctors say everything is good to go right now!

The best way to fix your numbers? Lose weight.

Increase your activity. Increase your healthy fats (avocado, olive oil, fish). Decrease your unhealthy fats (saturated fats).

Don't worry much about the cholesterol in foods. It has little to no impact on blood serum levels.

My numbers improved a lot just by doing all of that.

I agree, and would only add, genetics can overrule a lot of medication.

I was on a statin for 2 years with outwardly noticeable side effects, but the statin took my HDL down and did almost nothing to my LDL level and sent my blood sugar and A1C soaring. Been off statins for a year now, my HDL is 10 points too low, and my LDL is 10 points too high which my Doctor says is better than what is was with the Statin and my blood sugar and A1C are down.
Still on BP meds, and potassium to offset the BP meds, but my "numbers" over all are better with out the 2 drugs I was on.

I am uncomfortable with statins. They are a last ditch thing. I had to convince the doc to give the dh extra time and not throw him right no statins. Some of the research I read is that they are not really the wonder drug we think. So it's a 90 day boot camp to get those number improving. From what I read, get the sugars improved and the cholesterol may very well follow.

As I have said before when you have asked, Fish Oil. Get the Nature Made Ultra-Omega-3 Fish Oil, 1400mg, 1000mg Omega-3. We can only get it at Target or online.

This is the highest strength you can get OTC and this recommendation is from the Lipid Clinic that my dh goes to because his cholesterol is abnormally high. (He had a heart attack and triple bypass in Dec, 2012).

You also need to include metabolic syndrome in your research.

dh and I just got bloodwork done and both of us had the same issues. Cholesterol and sugar too high. We had already been working on improving/preventing this problem but unfortunately have been off track due to too many distractions the past few months. Probably a bad time to get the bloodwork done. We are increasing our exercise, eliminating most added sugar foods, increasing some veg and some other stuff. If our numbers don't drop in the next 90 days we may be looking at some meds so we are getting pretty serious. What have you done to improve this in your own life ? What has proven to be successful?
My sugar is dancing right around the edge of having to be declared pre-diabetic. My bad cholesterol is, well bad.

My doctor put me on a low carb diet. It seems to be helping.

As I have said before when you have asked, Fish Oil. Get the Nature Made Ultra-Omega-3 Fish Oil, 1400mg, 1000mg Omega-3. We can only get it at Target or online.

This is the highest strength you can get OTC and this recommendation is from the Lipid Clinic that my dh goes to because his cholesterol is abnormally high. (He had a heart attack and triple bypass in Dec, 2012).

You also need to include metabolic syndrome in your research.
Yes metabolic syndrome is the problem.

I have had high cholesterol for a lot of my adult life (mid-40s now) and have been a vegetarian since I was 19. My cholesterol was always 220 and I was so frustrated because I couldn't seem to budge it. Then I became a vegan in Jan of last year. By summer, my cholesterol still hadn't moved. But this summer, it's down 50 points. My bloodwork is now perfect (outside of a Vitamin D deficiency, which I am taking a supplement for now). It's not easy to live in modern society and eat plant-based, but I'm grateful every day that I made the choice. I feel amazing :hippie:

Ok first off cholesterol and fat have very little to do with heart disease! That is a myth perpetuated by POLITICS. Processed sugar and fake foods (do NOT eat LOW FAT ANYTHING) contribute to inflammation which is the cause of heart disease/diabetes. Not cholesterol. Have them check inflammatory numbers and split lipid numbers. Cholesterol tells one, small, part of overall picture.

My cholesterol hovers around 190, HDL 90, and LDL and triglycerides <100. I eat real foods (garden in back yard) lots of eggs from my backyard chickens, lots of beef from my side of beef I buy every other year (finished on grass no hormones). 2% milk from local dairy. Real butter and coconut oil. Little processed stuff (not a fan of bread anyway) and I do NOT eat whole wheat cardboard. Walk miles daily. Stress relief is my garden and chickens and dog (and occasionally family lol) - yes having stress relief is just as important as diet.
Very very occasional soda.
It is not a DIET but a conscious lifestyle choice. Hate the word diet- implies it is temporary torture before going back to real way of eating,

Make sure Vit D levels are adequate (get tested wih other labs) as research is finding people with heart disease have low levels (but who knows which came first- low vit d that caused heart disease or heart disease caused the low vit d?)
From a practicing registered dietitian for nearly 18 years

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter