In a bit of a panic about passports....ack!

luv2sleep

DIS Veteran
We are going on a cruise in July and we must have our passports. I just went last week to apply to renew in person as you have to do it in person when you have kids. I was told I didn't need expedited passports because the books should be here in 6-8 weeks. Well I went on the DCL website to do online check in and could not. Then I read in their FAQ section that we must have them documented in the system by 75 days out! Oh no! What will happen if I don't have them by then???? Panicking here...

I really don't know, but it might be a good thing to call Disney Cruise Line right now (they are open until 10 p.m. EST). The CM should be able to answer that. If I was to guess, you would just have to do a longer check-in at the port, but I'm not sure. I'm sure everything will be ok.

We are going on a cruise in July and we must have our passports. I just went last week to apply to renew in person as you have to do it in person when you have kids. I was told I didn't need expedited passports because the books should be here in 6-8 weeks. Well I went on the DCL website to do online check in and could not. Then I read in their FAQ section that we must have them documented in the system by 75 days out! Oh no! What will happen if I don't have them by then???? Panicking here...
What cruise are you doing?

If it's a Caribbean cruise, closed loop, you can just fill out the online check in saying you're using birth certificates/driver's licenses. And add the passports later. Or even add them when you check in at the port.

What cruise are you doing?

If it's a Caribbean cruise, closed loop, you can just fill out the online check in saying you're using birth certificates/driver's licenses. And add the passports later. Or even add them when you check in at the port.
British Isles.

The system has our passport numbers but has the expiration dates and a message pops up saying the dates are expired. So the old ones or any number won't work. They have to be current.

I just checked and it looks like 75 days is next week. :(
I vote with using your old passport numbers. However, you need to use the old expiration dates.

I'd say a call to DCL to clear this up may be in order. Ask to speak to a supervisor, so you have a better chanceof getting a good answer. Better yet, use the "contact us" on the website. The answer may take a couple of days that way, but it'll be in writing.

Echoing what a PP said above - DH had to get a new one and it was just under 4 weeks. And that one had to have involved some extra work on their end. Long story involving a misreporting of his old passport as stolen...

I think DCL is sort of vague about the 75 days bit. It says they "ask you to" input your passport number, and of course for some sailings people don't even strictly have to use passports. The language doesn't specifically state that they require you to input it 75 days out, unless that is specifically stated on your own reservation? maybe if you're using DCL for air transfers and the airline needs it? Just b/c you *can* check in at 75 days certainly doesn't mean everyone who has a reservation will, so what will DCL do for the people who don't get around to doing online check-in until 74, 73, 60 days out? If cruisers don't care about Palo reservations, m&g tix, or getting an early boarding time, seems like it wouldn't be a high priority to do all that immediately when the window opens. People could book a cruise less than 75 days out, too. Anyway, long-winded, but it seems like that would be a bear to try to enforce.

Echoing what a PP said above - DH had to get a new one and it was just under 4 weeks. And that one had to have involved some extra work on their end. Long story involving a misreporting of his old passport as stolen...

I think DCL is sort of vague about the 75 days bit. It says they "ask you to" input your passport number, and of course for some sailings people don't even strictly have to use passports. The language doesn't specifically state that they require you to input it 75 days out, unless that is specifically stated on your own reservation? maybe if you're using DCL for air transfers and the airline needs it? Just b/c you *can* check in at 75 days certainly doesn't mean everyone who has a reservation will, so what will DCL do for the people who don't get around to doing online check-in until 74, 73, 60 days out? If cruisers don't care about Palo reservations, m&g tix, or getting an early boarding time, seems like it wouldn't be a high priority to do all that immediately when the window opens. People could book a cruise less than 75 days out, too. Anyway, long-winded, but it seems like that would be a bear to try to enforce.
For the "regular" DCL Caribbean/Bahamas cruises passports aren't required, but are suggested, so you can get by without having the passport info.

OP is taking a British Isles cruise. A passport is a requirement for that trip. Possibly the online check in programming has been set up to recognize that a passport is required, and they need the information in a timely manner for processing.

For the "regular" DCL Caribbean/Bahamas cruises passports aren't required, but are suggested, so you can get by without having the passport info.

OP is taking a British Isles cruise. A passport is a requirement for that trip. Possibly the online check in programming has been set up to recognize that a passport is required, and they need the information in a timely manner for processing.
Right, I caught that, which is why I asked if the OP's res had that requirement, vs the standard FAQs on the DCL site.

But I guess my (convoluted) point is: if your check-in capabilities OPEN at 75 days out, how can they possibly require you to complete on-line check-in on that exact day? I don't know the OP's Castaway Cay club status, but anyone could book this cruise as a first-timer on DCL. And if you're not "in the know" regarding the reasons to do the online stuff as soon as your booking window opens (or just don't care), then I don't know why a person would necessarily do all that exactly 75 days out. I don't see DCL having any way to enforce that all first timers must complete online check-in on the day their window opens. I've never read about them calling people to ask for them to fill it out online, or canceling reservations 70 days out b/c the guest didn't input the info, etc. So there must be some wiggle room built-in. Hopefully I'm making more sense. :)

upload_2017-4-18_7-2-14.png

I assume this is the FAQ you were looking at. I wouldn't panic at all. First of all it is general info. Second, the word "requests" is used, not "required". Yes, they would like to encourage everyone to get their pre-check info in early so you don't forget about doing it. But as some people are not even able to enter the info until 75 days before a cruise, their request of "at least 75 days" is a bit unreasonable. The only reason you would be required to give passport info in advance when you travel would be to get a Visa to enter a country. As this isn't needed on your cruise, I'd just wait until I got my new passports then go in an update the info.

I put on my old passport number, which was due to expire while we were on board, and then put in the year as being 2018 instead of 2017. When my new passport arrived, I went back to the online checkin form and amended the number and date. There were no issues with doing it like that as long as your passport arrives before the online checkin form is no longer accessible.

Unless they've changed the system, it doesn't do any independent verification of numbers or expiry dates. I've put in nonsense numbers or fake dates when I was in the process of renewing my passport and it accepted it. Then later changed it to the correct information. AFAIK, they only need accurate information 72 hours prior to boarding and even then you can change it at the port if it was a truly last minute passport.

OP

did you know you can check the status of your passports on the State Dept website? And sign up for e-mail notifications as they move thru the process? I recommend signing up for the e-mail notices. IME I got notices much more timely than what the website status reported (last time I did this, you could sign up for the e-mails AFTER your record was entered into the system)

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports.html

The system has our passport numbers but has the expiration dates and a message pops up saying the dates are expired. So the old ones or any number won't work. They have to be current.
Just change the expire date.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter