In a pickle! Tips/Advice needed about Thanksgiving DVC.

MickeyRules

Earning My Ears
Hello! I'm in a major pickle! I booked DVC for dates that I THOUGHT were over Thanksgiving--only to realize last week that it was the week before Thanksgiving. :sad1: So at this point there is basically nothing available for 11/28-12/1 in the Deluxe Studio category. I called Member Services and we wait listed 2 properties--Copper Creek and Saratoga Springs. Two is the limit for wait listing so I took a shot in the dark and picked those 2.

I'm checking several times a day to see if anything comes open for those dates. We are fairly new DVC members--I thought I'd check in with the experts on this board to see if you might have any tips or tricks for securing something for our dates. I'm bummed--my family is bummed. I'm glad I caught this now rather than after MVMCP and airline tickets were purchased.

Any help or advice is much appreciated.
Thank you!
Paige

ugh...that stinks. If it was me I might switch the CCV wait list to something else....like maybe OKW or AKV. I think those have a slightly better shot of getting filled.

If you are set on going, I'd get a cash room on the books ASAP...to at least have something. You can always rent out your points set aside for this trip to help pay for the cash room if that's what you have to do.

I'd also suggest stalking the heck out of the website. Even if you can grab a couple days you can always then waitlist individual days and maybe piece together something.

I have to agree - don't waitlist CCV. Too few studios, too many people also waitlisted. AKV Savanna is a better shot, as is even BRV Studio. It sounds like you need room for 4 or fewer, so BLT Lake View might also be worth a try instead of CCV.

Saratoga, keep that one.

I would can the CCV waitlist and probably switch to OKW - reasons being numbers and its probably not a commonly wait listed room. I love OWK, but i do think people tend to switch OUT of it, and not into it as much.

What is your UY? Will you be able to bank your points?

I agree with ChicagoDisneyGuy. It is as if some DVC members get this notion that, being members, we are no longer able to book rooms for cash. I get why you may not WANT to.

If you are gung ho on going, I would book a cash room. You can cancel it up to 4 days out with no penalty (confirm this). Then should you decide, you can use your points for another trip, or rent them out to cover the cost of your hotel on this stay.

As yet another alternative, and one I personally would not take, but it is there, is you can talk to MS about using your points for 'The Disney collection', and maybe cover a good portion of your trip at a moderate resort. Most would agree it is a horrible use of points, but it is a way to go. NOTE: I do not know the resale restrictions on this.

1 - drop the CCV waitlist
2 - waitlist SSR preferred and standard as your two picks. It is by far the largest single resort and those 2 categories are large.
3 - check availability periodically to see if there's availability that opens up some place you haven't waitlisted.
4 - if you see availability for some of your days (especially in one of the larger inventory categories) book what you can and set up a new waitlist for the remaining days.
5 - if you're willing to do a split stay book what you can when you see it (within reason - personally I would only consider 1 move).

I'm with the others. I would drop the CCV studio waitlist. I'm a CCV owner, and I know how hard it is to get studios at CCV, especially for that week.
You have best luck at SSR, OKW, or even AKL standard. But if it were me, I'd do SSR and OKW.

Stalk.

I would also watch the rent / trade board.

I currently have an extra BWV studio booked 11/27-12/1 that we're hanging onto for a bit to see if any friends / relatives decide to join us. If not, we will either rent or drop.

You never know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter