In Defense of Bob Chapek

Status
Not open for further replies.
You find this unique?
Obviously, since that's what I wrote. No other theme nor amusement park has set aside as many additional-for-pay experiences as Disney. Disney used to be about exceeding the guest's expectations, and now they're willing to do that primarily for extra cash.

I do find it interesting that so many DVC owners are this upset. To me at least, it comes off as jealousy that Disney isn’t prioritizing them as much as they used to. They don’t seem to understand that they were the Upper Class of Disney guests, a bar a lot of others couldn’t attain, and now that they are having to spend even more, and are being replaced with a higher spending group, they seem to be outraged Disney would even consider doing this to them.

Now I’m not talking about each and every one of them, it’s just a theme that seems to be prevalent lately
You're projecting. Besides the "Welcome Home" greeting and the purple light that comes on the scanner when you log into the parks, there's nothing that I can think of about DVC that can't be accessed by an annual passholder. I'm hardly outraged; more like disappointed.

Unfortunately for them, they allowed Disney to convince them that DVC was more than just another time share scheme.
DVC still is more than just another time share scheme for now. Given the increase in hotel costs across the board, we've already broken even on our 2012 investment, even considering annual dues, so whatever we make on the reversion when we sell is just gravy. I suggest you take this argument to the DVC board and see what they think. Or you can keep telling yourself that those grapes aren't tasty.

DVC still is more than just another time share scheme for now. Given the increase in hotel costs across the board, we've already broken even on our 2012 investment, even considering annual dues, so whatever we make on the reversion when we sell is just gravy. I suggest you take this argument to the DVC board and see what they think. Or you can keep telling yourself that those grapes aren't tasty.
Yep same. It's still fantastic for us. Not cashing in yet, even though we could.

That said we still have maintained DVC AP so that's been very helpful.

You're projecting. Besides the "Welcome Home" greeting and the purple light that comes on the scanner when you log into the parks, there's nothing that I can think of about DVC that can't be accessed by an annual passholder. I'm hardly outraged; more like disappointed.
They literally have a page full of benefits on the vacation club website, maybe you aren’t satisfied with what is offered but they do offer a lot, and those benefits are much more than the average guest is offered

They literally have a page full of benefits on the vacation club website, maybe you aren’t satisfied with what is offered but they do offer a lot, and those benefits are much more than the average guest is offered

They really don't offer much of actual value/substance is better than saying they offer nothing.

You're projecting again. I never stated that I wasn't satisfied. I stated that I didn't like the short term focus of the company which is directly attributable to its current leadership. To your second point, the majority of DVC extras, like free parking and discounts on dining, merchandise, and the ever-expanding special event tickets and tours were duplicated by annual pass benefits available at a much lower price point. The few other items don't mean much if you don't use them regularly, and we didn't. We don't go to WDW to hang around in a Members Lounge, and the Members cruise is no bargain.

Disney has been political since it's inception as a company. It didn't "just" become political.

Not like it is now. All companies have to be "political" when it comes to their own best interest, since laws impact how they do business. But Disney took their pandering wokeness to a different level with the Parental Rights bill. Something that has nothing to do with their actual business.

Not like it is now. All companies have to be "political" when it comes to their own best interest, since laws impact how they do business. But Disney took their pandering wokeness to a different level with the Parental Rights bill. Something that has nothing to do with their actual business.
"Pandering wokeness"? I rolled my eyes so hard that they nearly fell out of my skull. But yes Disney has always been political in ways that didn't inherently have anything to do with their business. This isn't new.

If you don't think Families and Parents have anything to do with Disney's business, I can't help you.

Disney isn't into the business of excluding people. If someone has two dads, Disney will still entertain them and make them happy. Disney won't exclude them from entering the property and chastise them like you want.

Disney has shown people kissing in their cartoons and movies for almost a hundred years. The Disney Channel had a two same-sex kisses back in 2017. There was cross-dressing as far back as 1944. Nothing has changed with Disney.

The only thing that has changed is that a certain political party has become far too sensitive. When Boy George came out in the 1970s, that political party didn't like it, but they understood it was a free country and didn't go as far to pass laws to cancel and attack him. For things like this, they now are.

Last edited:
If you don't think Families and Parents have anything to do with Disney's business, I can't help you.

Disney isn't into the business of excluding people. If someone has two dads, Disney will still entertain them and make them happy. Disney won't exclude them from entering the property and chastise them like you want.

Disney has shown people kissing in their cartoons and movies for almost a hundred years. The Disney Channel had a two same-sex kisses back in 2017. There was cross-dressing as far back as 1944. Nothing has changed with Disney.

The only thing that has changed is that a certain political party has become far too sensitive. When Boy George came out in the 1970s, that political party didn't like it, but they understood it was a free country and didn't go as far to pass laws to cancel and attack him. For things like this, they now are.

You were doing a very fine job of making a valid point here and was spot on until you jumped down the political party rabbit hole and painted a very broad brush with your assessment. For what it's worth, I'm of neither party.

I know there are some of the projects that maybe too late too fixed, but it’s not too late for Disney to change Back where they are suppose to be. It’ll probably take a few years, but I hope Disney will back to normal someday, even if they are too late to fix it.

You were doing a very fine job of making a valid point here and was spot on until you jumped down the political party rabbit hole and painted a very broad brush with your assessment. For what it's worth, I'm of neither party.
Don't act like you don't support a certain political party, then use the term 'woke'. Please!

I don't know how old you are, but as someone who was a fan back in the 1980s when Boy George and Culture Club were a big deal, George liked to play coy, while at times claiming to be bi. He didn't officially come out as homosexual until the 1990s. Maybe you have special insight about his teen years in the 1970s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter