In Hawaii, we say "Alooooha!" 2017 Maui Trip Report Updated 4/7

olliesmom

Mouseketeer
Aloha and welcome to our Maui 2017 Trip Report!

The title for our report is borrowed from our favourite Disney restaurant, 'Ohana! So far, 'Ohana is as close as we've come to visiting Hawaii, and it has been a part of every one of our Disney trips! On one of our first visits to 'Ohana, the lovely singer who circulates the restaurant with her ukelele and leis repeated over and over throughout the evening over the restaurant speakers - "in Hawaii, we say 'alooooooooha!'" Somehow that turned into a household catchphrase and soon we will be able to practice our "alooooha" for real!

Following WDW trips in 2010, 2012, 2014 and a Disney wedding in 2015, we've decided to trade Mickey for Maui for our 2017 vacation! With the prices at WDW continually increasing and the current number of closures and amount construction, we made the (unexpectedly difficult!) decision to postpone our next Disney trip until some more of the current projects are completed. We are looking forward to seeing the new Pandora, Star Wars land, Toy Story land and Coronado Springs expansion, and are tentatively planning a trip back to WDW in 2019/2020.

Although this trip actually won't include any Aulani or Disney, as we are going to be on Maui for 7 nights, I thought I would post a trip report anyways as it seems Maui is a popular choice to combine with Oahu/Aulani trips, and hopefully our experiences can help others who are considering adding Maui to their Aulani vacations (or who just love a Hawaiian TR!).

First, some introductions:

Who: Myself (26) and DH (28). We live in Ontario, Canada and are both first-timers to Hawaii! I'm a fairly detailed planner (I think I have as much fun planning as I do actually taking the vacation!) and DH is pretty relaxed and easy-going. While we do plan to spend some time relaxing at the beach, we enjoy active vacations and hope to squeeze in some hikes and adventures! We also love to eat, although with the Canadian dollar right now, we will be focusing on local cheap eats!

What: 7 nights on Maui

When: March 29-April 5

Where: We've rented a condo through VRBO at Lahaina Shores Beach Resort in Lahaina for the first 6 nights of our trip, and will be spending the last night in Wailea at the Wailea Beach Marriott (using Marriott points).

Why: This trip came about in a rather spontaneous way - it all started off with looking at last-minute travel deals to Cuba and the Dominican Republic in the Fall, and before I knew it we had flights booked to Hawaii!! We knew we wanted a tropical beach vacation, but our options were growing increasingly limited by the spread of Zika. I found a good deal on flights Maui from Canada and we decided to go for it! As our original intention really was a more inexpensive all-inclusive, we are going to be trying to stretch our budget as much as possible.

So far, what we've done to keep the cost of our trip down includes: booking mid-week flights, using travel points wherever possible (I collect both Marriott and Aeroplan points), looking for Groupons for excursions, and staying in a condo vs. a resort hotel.

Our itinerary so far looks like this:

Day 1 (March 29) - Arrive in Maui at 9pm, drive to condo and collapse in bed!

Day 2 (March 30) - Pick up snorkeling gear at the Snorkel Store (pre-paid), spend the day snorkeling at Kapalua and Napili Bay.

Day 3 (March 31) - Morning whale watch with Blue Maui (Groupon), spend the afternoon swimming/snorkeling at Ka'anapali and/or Kahekili Beach, dinner in Lahaina.

Day 4 (April 1) - Up at 2am for Haleakala sunrise (reservation now required!), spend the afternoon exploring Upcountry Maui (Groupon for Surfing Goat Dairy tour), back to Lahaina for naps and dinner.

Day 5 (April 2) - Drive up the Northwest coast to the Nakalele blowhole and Ohai trail, afternoon swimming/snorkeling at D.T Fleming Beach and explore the Kapalua Coastal Trail.

Day 6 (April 3) - Drive the Road to Hana

Day 7 (April 4) - Check in at the Wailea Marriott, explore Ulua and Wailea beaches, happy hour at Monkeypod Kitchen.

Day 8 (April 5) - Pack up, stop for an early lunch at Tin Roof (Sheldon Simeon's new restaurant), return rental car and fly home!

We will likely end up having to switch a few things around depending on weather and how hard it is to tear ourselves away from the beach, but that's the general plan!

We're in our final countdown now (10 more days!) but if anyone has any last-minute Maui travel advice or recommendations, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks for following along! Mahalo! :flower1:

Aloooooha fellow Ontario Disboarder! Oh man, after the weather this last week in Ontario you are going to fall in love with Maui. I drove in the snow rain mix back from downtown Toronto last night and it was crazy!

You have some excellent planning going on there and Lahaina is the perfect choice as a home base. I just posted in another thread about how our best whale watching ever was up from Lahaina at Kaanapali while having breakfast. There is a channel called Au'Au that runs along Maui the whales LOVE. We were so close, I seriously couldnt believe it. Have you paid for your snorkel gear yet? I am not sure what the cost is to rent but it might actually be cheaper to buy your own. I just saw kits in Costco last week (mask and snorkel) that were reasonable. We always bring ours, they travel easily and I just feel more comfortable with my own. There is some awesome snorkelling at Napili Bay but the parking lot fills up quickly. You can park on the side streets but just watch the parking signs. Some places are fine and some you get ticketed.

One place you might want to try if you like Asian food in Lahaina is Star Noodle, house made noodles and ok pricing. http://www.starnoodle.com/menu/
If you are looking to try local "grindz" you might want to try Aloha Mixed Plate in Lahaina too, fairly inexpensive and really good http://www.alohamixedplate.com/

Nice choice to mix it up and stay south in Wailea on your last night, be warned that highway between the West and south can get busy so even thought most of it is a scenic and costal drive, it can take some time to get though. We have done some great snorkelling in the Kihei and Wailea beaches but it does get windy.

Have a great time!

Aloooooha fellow Ontario Disboarder! Oh man, after the weather this last week in Ontario you are going to fall in love with Maui. I drove in the snow rain mix back from downtown Toronto last night and it was crazy!

You have some excellent planning going on there and Lahaina is the perfect choice as a home base. I just posted in another thread about how our best whale watching ever was up from Lahaina at Kaanapali while having breakfast. There is a channel called Au'Au that runs along Maui the whales LOVE. We were so close, I seriously couldnt believe it. Have you paid for your snorkel gear yet? I am not sure what the cost is to rent but it might actually be cheaper to buy your own. I just saw kits in Costco last week (mask and snorkel) that were reasonable. We always bring ours, they travel easily and I just feel more comfortable with my own. There is some awesome snorkelling at Napili Bay but the parking lot fills up quickly. You can park on the side streets but just watch the parking signs. Some places are fine and some you get ticketed.

One place you might want to try if you like Asian food in Lahaina is Star Noodle, house made noodles and ok pricing. http://www.starnoodle.com/menu/
If you are looking to try local "grindz" you might want to try Aloha Mixed Plate in Lahaina too, fairly inexpensive and really good http://www.alohamixedplate.com/

Nice choice to mix it up and stay south in Wailea on your last night, be warned that highway between the West and south can get busy so even thought most of it is a scenic and costal drive, it can take some time to get though. We have done some great snorkelling in the Kihei and Wailea beaches but it does get windy.

Have a great time!

Hi Alohamom!! Thanks for joining in!

Yes, we sure are getting one last blast of winter! The reason we booked our trip for March/April rather than mid-winter was that I was hoping coming back to some spring temperatures would make the transition back home a little more bearable... but it looks like we might still be dealing with winter! :eek:

I'm really hoping the whales will stick around in good numbers over the next few weeks. I was reading on the TripAdvisor forums that it seems to be a good whale season this year, so fingers crossed we will get to see some!

Thanks for the restaurant recommendations - both Star Noodle and Aloha Mixed Plate are on the list I've been gathering and I have a feeling we will end up at both!

We did pre-pay for our snorkel gear at the Snorkel Store. We paid around $40 USD for two sets of rentals for the week with a two-for-one discount plus a Valentine's Day 25% off coupon, mostly because we aren't planning to bring any checked luggage with us and travel light. Neither of us has snorkeled before, but if we fall in love it might be worth the investment of picking up our own sets.

Thank you for all your advice - just updated my trip notes!:goodvibes

Oh, I think you did really good with your snorkel rental rate. I knew you had done your research when I saw the "Surfing Goat Dairy" tour on your itinerary LOL...one thing you might want to do is pack a lunch of some kind-even if it is just POG juice, water and granola bars for the road to Hana. There isnt all that much on the way and not much when you get there either, this one is all about the journey. There are fruit stands along the way but they are not always open.

Oh, I think you did really good with your snorkel rental rate. I knew you had done your research when I saw the "Surfing Goat Dairy" tour on your itinerary LOL...one thing you might want to do is pack a lunch of some kind-even if it is just POG juice, water and granola bars for the road to Hana. There isnt all that much on the way and not much when you get there either, this one is all about the journey. There are fruit stands along the way but they are not always open.
We'll be driving to Hana on a Sunday in June. Does that make it more likely that many stands might be closed, or are they more likely to be open on Sunday in the summer??

We'll be driving to Hana on a Sunday in June. Does that make it more likely that many stands might be closed, or are they more likely to be open on Sunday in the summer??

Because Hawaii only has two seasons (rainy and dry), the concept of touristy things being open more in the summer doesn't really apply here. We do have a high season, but there are always tourists to service, and businesses that depend on their patronage are aware of that.

As Alohamom said, there aren't many places to eat because the physicality of the road isn't conducive to setting up a business. I've gone three times, once being on a Sunday and the stands were open on the way out, but when we came back (after 5), most of them were closed - probably so the employees don't have to drive the road at night. The only stand I can actually remember is Ono, and their website says they close at 6. My advice would be to take enough snacks for both ways just to cover yourself. You never know, and better to be safe than sorry.

Because Hawaii only has two seasons (rainy and dry), the concept of touristy things being open more in the summer doesn't really apply here. We do have a high season, but there are always tourists to service, and businesses that depend on their patronage are aware of that.

As Alohamom said, there aren't many places to eat because the physicality of the road isn't conducive to setting up a business. I've gone three times, once being on a Sunday and the stands were open on the way out, but when we came back (after 5), most of them were closed - probably so the employees don't have to drive the road at night. The only stand I can actually remember is Ono, and their website says they close at 6. My advice would be to take enough snacks for both ways just to cover yourself. You never know, and better to be safe than sorry.
Good advice--thanks!

No Mama's Fish House? That is a must do when visiting Maui and will be one of the best meals you will ever have. It is highly recommended. The cove it is in is absolutely beautiful and the food is outstanding.

Good thinking!! I can imagine without snacks, a day-long car ride could get cranky pretty quickly! :rotfl:

Thanks for joining in!! Are you doing Maui and Oahu? I'd love to hear what your plans are!

Awesome advice, thank you!! I read good reviews of Braddah Hutt's on Yelp so we are hoping to find that as we drive the road - but as alohamom suggested, will bring back-up food in case it's closed!

No Mama's Fish House? That is a must do when visiting Maui and will be one of the best meals you will ever have. It is highly recommended. The cove it is in is absolutely beautiful and the food is outstanding.

Unfortunately, not this trip! I have read excellent things about Mama's and it comes up in so many conversations when friends hear we are going to Maui. However, with the Canadian dollar right now it's just a little too much sticker shock... the fish/steak dishes come in at $55-60USD which converts to $75-80 CAD! :faint: We are hoping to stick to a restaurant budget of about $500 USD for the whole trip!

Most of the stands are closed on Sundays. I usually go during the week for both the Road to Hana and the west island loop. On the western loop, if you like banana bread, stop at Julia's. You can't miss the bright green tree house on the left.

According to their websites, Laulima Farm, ONO, Twin Falls, Hana Farms are all open on Sundays. Plus, there are actual restaurants that may or may not be open. I like Ka Haku Smoke Shack.

Following along! My DH and I are interested in a beach vacation next and Hawaii is on our short list. You're getting SO close to your trip- yay!! Have fun!!

Following along! My DH and I are interested in a beach vacation next and Hawaii is on our short list. You're getting SO close to your trip- yay!! Have fun!!

Welcome!! And thank you!!

Yes, we are now at 5 days on our countdown and it's time to start packing!

With so many of our recent trips being WDW, it's been ages since either DH or I went on a beach vacation, so it'll be interesting to see the difference in pace from a Disney vacation where we are go-go-go all the time. To be honest, I'm looking forward to just sitting under an umbrella with a book and not worrying that we are missing a show, a FP or an ADR!

It's final prep time! I've been running around trying to get everything ready for our Wednesday departure as both DH and I are working Monday and Tuesday, likely long hours to catch up on everything before we leave.

The first and most important update is that the Marriott Wailea Beach Resort, where we are staying for our last night, has opened their new feature pool, the Nalu Adventure Pool. I just booked the Wailea because I was trying to use up our Marriott points and it was the only resort with availability by the time we booked. Honestly, I was a little bummed the Marriott Maui Ocean Club was all booked up because I thought their pool looked awesome. At the time, I had no idea the Nalu pool was even in progress!

Now, you can imagine my excitement when I was reading on TripAdvisor and found out this has just opened:

What an awesome surprise! We are super excited to give those slides a try! :goodvibes

As far as getting ourselves organized, I'll share my packing list so far in case it's helpful for anyone else! This is a hybrid of a number of online lists I've found, but modified for what I (hope) will fit in our carry-ons! I may end up editing this as we go. Any additional suggestions are totally welcome!

Clothes

We will have laundry at the condo we are renting, so I'm really trying to minimize the clothes we bring! I've read that Maui is very casual, and we don't have any fancy dinner planned, so we won't need any dressy outfits.

- 4 t-shirts
- 2 tank tops
- 2 pairs of shorts
- 1 pair athletic leggings
- 1 maxi dress
- 1 light sweater
- bathing suit & coverup

- sun hat
- flip flops/GoWalks/water shoes
- sunglasses

My plane outfit will be a second pair of leggings, tank, Nike pullover, windbreaker/rain jacket and a pair of running shoes.

Toiletries

- Travel shampoo, conditioner and body wash
- Facial moisturizer, blush and mascara
- SPF lip balm
- Hair elastics & bobby pins
- Hair brush and flat iron
- Toothbrush/toothpaste

I plan to buy sunscreen there because the carry-on fluid restriction will prevent us from bringing it on the plane with us. I burn easily, so I'm hoping we can find SPF 50-60 on Maui! We will also buy DH some Bonine once on Maui for our whale watch trip, it's no longer available over the counter here.

Electronics
- iPad, iPhone & chargers
- earphones
- iPhone car charger
- Roam Mobility SIM card (for US calling/texting)
- Lifeproof case and floatable water case (for snorkeling and beach photos)

I've downloaded the Gypsy Maui Guide app to use as a GPS while we're there - it looks great! I had a gift card for the iTunes store, but I believe it was about 11.99? http://gypsyguide.com/destinations/maui/ We plan to use it mostly for the Road to Hana but it may come in handy as we drive the rest of the island as well! It doesn't use any data, just the GPS signal from your phone. I've ready that it drains the battery pretty quickly, which is why we are bringing our car charger.

Because we're traveling from Canada and I won't be using the data on my phone, I've also pre-downloaded the Google Map of Maui so we can actually plug in destinations because as the designated co-pilot, I already know I'm horrible with maps and directions!:rotfl:

Travel Documents
- Passports
- Flight, condo and hotel confirmations
- Groupon confirmations
- Adventure map
- Travel health insurance
- Printed copies of our Excel itinerary and daily info sheets

For those who are interested in a great map to orient yourself to the island before you go, I requested an Air Adventure Maui map online a couple of months ago and it's been so helpful for helping me picture where everything is. I've read they're pretty easy to find once you're there, but I wanted to get a head start! The link is http://www.airmaui.com/freemap and they even ship to Canada free!

Re: the info sheets - planning is half the fun, right?? As I've slowly gathered info while researching and planning, I've been keeping a Word document with all the tips and tricks I read online, from beach parking/access to which restaurants are cash only! Then, as I worked on our itinerary I just sorted everything out into a tip sheet for each day. I'll keep them all in a little folder in the rental car in case we end up swapping plans around.

Miscellaneous
- Insulated cooler bag (flattened in bottom of carry on)
- Tote bag (flattened in bottom of carry on)
- Ziploc bags
- Snacks and granola bars for the condo/flights (roasted almonds, jerky, granola bars, etc)

Other trip prep that I've crossed off my list this weekend:
- Load up Kindle with new books for plane and beach reading!
- Exchange US $$
- Laundry and deep clean the house (so everything is nice and clean when we come home!)

Things that still need to be done:
- Activate Roam Mobility card
- Print out all confirmations and put together travel documents

:dance3:3 more days!! :dance3:

I plan to buy sunscreen there because the carry-on fluid restriction will prevent us from bringing it on the plane with us. I burn easily, so I'm hoping we can find SPF 50-60 on Maui! We will also buy DH some Bonine once on Maui for our whale watch trip, it's no longer available over the counter here.

Try Target or Walmart in Kahalui for sunscreen. I find the prices comparable to the mainland and what I do is check the digital flyer so I know who has what on sale

http://www.target.com/sl/Kahului-Store/2660
https://www.walmart.com/store/3290/whats-new

You can also try Safeway right in Lahaina (sign up for a club card before you shop, it will save you tons) Even though it is a grocery store, they do have a sundries section
http://local.safeway.com/hi/lahaina-1222.html

and a little more expensive is Longs Drugs/CVS (kind of Shoppers or Rexall) right in Lahaina as well. I think it is right by Safeway.

Try Target or Walmart in Kahalui for sunscreen. I find the prices comparable to the mainland and what I do is check the digital flyer so I know who has what on sale

http://www.target.com/sl/Kahului-Store/2660
https://www.walmart.com/store/3290/whats-new

You can also try Safeway right in Lahaina (sign up for a club card before you shop, it will save you tons) Even though it is a grocery store, they do have a sundries section
http://local.safeway.com/hi/lahaina-1222.html

and a little more expensive is Longs Drugs/CVS (kind of Shoppers or Rexall) right in Lahaina as well. I think it is right by Safeway.

Thanks for the links! We land at 9pm and the Kahului Target is open until 11... hopefully we can sleep on the plane and get a quick Target run in before we head to our resort. Even though our Target stores were never as good as the US ones, I miss them so much!!

And it was a little reassuring to look through the Safeway flyer - although the exchange will still make the groceries more expensive, the actual prices themselves look pretty similar to our grocery prices here!

although the exchange will still make the groceries more expensive, the actual prices themselves look pretty similar to our grocery prices here!

Totally true! I often read here about the inflated prices for groceries and gas in Hawaii but that is usually coming from Mainland USA people. The prices are very similar to ours in Canada.

We are back!! Arrived home yesterday from an incredible trip, and I'm going to get started with this trip report because I'm already missing the sunshine, mountains, palm trees and waves!

My apologies in advance, the photo quality might not be great for every photo - to keep things easy, I ended up bring just my iPhone and all photos were taken with that.

Day 1

I'll skip quickly over our travel day, because it was largely uneventful (but long!). We left our place at 7:30am ET and landed in Maui just after 3am ET. We had an almost three hour stopover in Vancouver, which added a fair bit of time to our journey. I didn't think anyone would be particularly interested in our photos of airport Burger King, or the loooong line at the Thrifty rental counter. :laughing: We picked up the Mazda 3 we were assigned and drove straight to our resort/condo, which was about a 35 minute drive from the airport. By the time we arrived and checked in, it was almost 5am ET and we had nearly pulled an all-nighter!

We fell asleep as soon as we checked into our condo, then woke up bright and early the next day, so I'll just start with day 2! If anyone has any questions about any of the airport or rental car processes, feel free to ask away!

I will also do a more detailed review of our condo unit as the TR goes on... but we absolutely LOVED it. It was a great budget option for us, location was so convenient and it was SUPER clean and well-stocked with everything from shampoo and conditioner to boogie boards, coolers, beach mats and towels, coffee, chocolate covered macadamia nuts... it was awesome! This was the unit we stayed in: https://www.vrbo.com/761893

At $130/night, it was super reasonable and parking was only $3/day with no resort fee! It wasn't fancy, but we were thrilled with it.

Day 2

We were up super early on our first day because of the six hour time change. It was 5am and still pitch dark outside. I made a pot of coffee in our kitchen and sat out on our lanai (balcony) waiting for the sun to rise so I could finally see the view from our unit! We had arrived after dark and there are so few street lights - or any lights at all - that we really had no idea what kind of scenery or views were around us! The stars were incredible, though.

Our condo faced over the west Maui mountains, and the sun rose right over the mountains each morning. Being surrounded by greenery, the soundtrack that accompanied this view was a whole lot of birds singing and calling, and frequent rooster crows!

This was the view from our lanai as the sun rose:

Once the sun rose, we decided to head out and pick up our snorkeling equipment as we planned to spend most of the day at the beach. On our way, DH wanted to stop at McDonald's because they have local spam, rice and egg breakfast platters and he loves to try all the unique items available at McDonalds' around the world!

He never did try the Taro pie! They also had Haupia (coconut) pie.

I stuck to boring fruit and nut oatmeal which was fine, but DH raved about his breakfast platter. Go figure! With coffees, breakfast was about $10 for both of us.

Fueled up for the day, we headed to The Snorkel Store where I had rented two sets of snorkel gear and a beach umbrella for the week. I think this cost about $45 for the week.

We had an excellent experience here, the fitting for our gear was thorough but super quick and the staff were as friendly as any Disney CMs we have come across. They gave great snorkeling tips and recommendations for where to go, and drew us a map of the whole west side of Maui even pointing out the best places to park. We would totally recommend them for snorkeling equipment!

The first beach we had on our list was Kapalua Bay, and it was gorgeous. We just parked on the shoulder of the road about 10 minutes from the beach access path, super easy.

Yep, that's a wedding taking place on the beach right in front of us!

I had bought a waterproof case/pouch for my iPhone so I wouldn't have to leave it on the beach. It kept it perfectly safe and dry, although it made it really difficult to take photos so I didn't get very many snorkeling photos! The snorkeling was awesome here, there were fish everywhere and lots of coral. Plus, the entry was really easy, all you had to do was wade in to about your waist, then put your face in the water and you were already surrounded by coral and sea life!

The highlight was that DH found a sea turtle as we were snorkeling and he swam right up to us! I was too excited to get very good photos, but here's what I did capture:

Very, very cool!

The water temperature was also perfect for snorkeling, we stayed in for about an hour before we started getting hungry for lunch.

I felt like fish tacos, so we drove about 10 minutes to a place I had read about online, Fish Market Maui. It was a tiny little counter service spot, and it was packed!

We both got the fish taco plate lunch, and DH got an extra fish taco. We also shared a Diet Coke.

It was delicious! The fish was so fresh and perfectly grilled, and there was so much of it. The baja sauce gave the tacos a little kick and the macaroni salad and rice were great too. Highly recommend! There isn't much seating inside, we just sa at a little counter with stools. There is a beach park across the street as well if you feel like a picnic.

After lunch, we decided to head to another nearby beach, Napili Bay, for some more snorkeling.

Also gorgeous!!! The weather was perfect and these beaches were some of the most beautiful ones either DH or I had ever been to.

We set up our beach umbrella here because there wasn't much shade.

The surf was a bit high for snorkeling, but perfect for body surfing and boogie boarding!

We had so much fun just playing in the waves, we hung out on the beach and in the ocean until about 3pm, when we decided to get some groceries for breakfast and snacks, then head back to the condo to get cleaned up for dinner.

Next instalment coming up soon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter