• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

In need of new running shoes. Any suggestions?

Poohbear538

DIS Veteran
Hi! I am still relatively new to running. I’ve been using a couple of old pairs of shoes and it’s time to invest in a good pair. I know this is all subjective but I am just trying to get a baseline. Thank you in advance for taking the time to help me out 🥰

Hi! I am still relatively new to running. I’ve been using a couple of old pairs of shoes and it’s time to invest in a good pair. I know this is all subjective but I am just trying to get a baseline. Thank you in advance for taking the time to help me out 🥰

Unfortunately, this really isn’t something that can be baselined. Everyone has their favorite running shoes, but no one can tell you what to try. Everyone’s feet are different. I love the Brooks Ghost, but if you’ve got flat feet or high arches (or any other number of factors), they would potentially be a disaster for you. Many people love Hokas, but I can’t wear them because my ankles supinate horribly in them.

Your best bet is to find a local running store where they can measure your feet and look at your gait and give you an idea of what type of shoe will work for you. Most will let you run a bit as part of the fitting process so that you can see what feels best. All the major brands make quality shoes for a wide variety of foot types and running styles. You just have to figure out what your needs are first.

Unfortunately, this really isn’t something that can be baselined. Everyone has their favorite running shoes, but no one can tell you what to try. Everyone’s feet are different. I love the Brooks Ghost, but if you’ve got flat feet or high arches (or any other number of factors), they would potentially be a disaster for you. Many people love Hokas, but I can’t wear them because my ankles supinate horribly in them.

Your best bet is to find a local running store where they can measure your feet and look at your gait and give you an idea of what type of shoe will work for you. Most will let you run a bit as part of the fitting process so that you can see what feels best. All the major brands make quality shoes for a wide variety of foot types and running styles. You just have to figure out what your needs are first.
Thank you @camaker. 😊

This 100%. All the running shoes that were on "the best" lists felt terrible on my feet. A running store is your best bet!

Also agree 100%. Find a good running store and ask for some assistance and recommendations. So many things can impact the shoe that might work best for you - your size, how you land (pronate?), arch support, stability needs - too many for us to help you with. And believe me when I say this (from experience) - getting a good pair of shoes when you start/return to running is very important. It can keep you healthy, which can keep you doing it. People who go with the wrong or cheap shoes often get injuries early on, and then never actually benefit from the running. You want to stay away from those injuries!

Best of luck to you and glad to hear you're running!

Yeah I knew I would have to go, but with the state of the world right now I wanted to go in with my research done and with just possibly needing some tweaking. As I said in the post, I know everyone has their own idea what they like, I just wanted to hear thoughts.

Yeah I knew I would have to go, but with the state of the world right now I wanted to go in with my research done and with just possibly needing some tweaking. As I said in the post, I know everyone has their own idea what they like, I just wanted to hear thoughts.
Sounds like you have a good approach - not sure we've helped you much, though!

The only shoe I have found to be really great for me are Asics Kayanos! I researched getting a different pair of shoes last year and ended up with...... Asics Kayanos LOL. They're the best (for me).
Thanks @goingtoexpo. What do you like about them?

My son is in the Army and had terrible shin splints- bought Hooka shoes and they are the best-I bought a pair as I am a new runner and I agree!

If you're not able to go get fitted right now, here's an online tool that asks you some questions and gives recommendations: https://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/product/shoe-dog.jsp

Personally, I've run in the Saucony Guide, the New Balance 880, New Balance Zante, Brooks Levitate, and Nike Pegasus.
I think my favorite were an older version of the 880s (the last version I tried, the 880v8, didn't seem to agree with my feet, but I do want to try the new version because they changed the cushioning) and the Levitate. Both were fairly responsive (meaning I felt a little push back from them) and had enough cushioning to support my joints (which have had all sorts of issues). I like the Zantes a lot because they're the most responsive shoe I've ever worn, but they don't have enough cushion to support me at longer distances, so I don't wear them for anything longer than 5 miles.
I've also tried the Brooks Launch for a few runs and I liked the responsiveness, but similar to the Zante, I can't wear them for longer distances. I know a lot of people do wear them for distance, though, so if you're looking for a more affordable (like $100, which is cheap for running shoes) responsive shoe, I'd recommend trying the Launch.

The Guides weren't great for me because they provided more stability than I needed, but my sister loves them and really enjoys the cushion in the shoe.

Like you said, it's all subjective, but I hope you can get some good suggestions for shoes to try out!

Yeah, unfortunately (or fortunately since you'll get the right pair of shoes!), the best bet is to go to a good running shoe store. I used to wear whatever outlet Reeboks or New Balance shoes I could find and they were alright. When I really started training (my goal was to run the Boston Marathon 2014), I went to our local running shoe store and they picked the model of shoes I wear to this day. Brooks Dyads. I never would have picked them out on my own, but they have served me well through two Boston marathons, 10+ halfs and countless 5K/10Ks. The other good thing about going to a running shoe store is that the people that work there really know their stuff and can give you tips, advice, training regimens, etc. And they usually are hubs of community running programs.

I've tried different brands and models because the Dyads look so fuddy-duddy (they are designed so that someone can put orthotic insoles in them, although I don't) and none of them have given me the same performance so I keep going back to them! One other good thing about a running shoe store is that they usually will take the shoes back even if you've been running in them. I had the Asics Kayanos and at first they were fine, but I started to develop real knee pain after about two weeks so they took them back. I realized I wasn't striding in them the same way I was in the Dyads which led to the pain. I also tried the Hokas and they didn't work for me either so our store took them back.

Others have written in support of these shoes which shows that the shoes that work for some don't work for others, just like I wouldn't recommend getting a pair of Dyads without getting evaluated either. The great thing about running shoes is that they really aren't that expensive for their performance. And there's not a ton of gear you need to get out to run.

To echo everyone else there is really no good way over a message board to get you into a specific pair of shoes. I'm not sure where you are but around here most of the specialty running stores are opened but limiting the number of people in the store and requiring masks. There are a few things though that can speed up the discussion and you might be able to discuss options with the store in advance so they are ready when you get there.

Bring a pair of worn in athletic shoes with you. The wear pattern on the sole will tell them a lot about your gait.
Do you have any known issues with your feet? Are they wider or narrower than standard for your size shoe? Do you have flat feet? Do you have a history of rolling your ankle when you run or play sports?
Know what surface you'll be running on most often. Cement vs blacktop vs crushed stone vs singletrack, etc.

My recommendation if you want to just try a shoe: Brooks Ghost.

I used to wear New Balance exclusively, but had a few years of quality/fit issues that drove me to try Brooks Ghost and I have never looked back!

I've recommended Brooks Ghost to 4 other friends and we all love them. So, if you just want to dive right in, and you don't have any injuries/issues to address, it's a good first choice. There are lots of Brooks options but the Ghost is an extremely popular starting point, and the current Ghost 12 is on sale right now.

For reference, I have a low-ish arch. My sister has smaller feet and a high arch and she also loves Brooks Ghost. My street shoes are usually 9.5 or 10 (in boots), but I wear a 10.5 in the Ghost because I like to size up in running shoes.

Last edited:
Yeah, unfortunately (or fortunately since you'll get the right pair of shoes!), the best bet is to go to a good running shoe store. I used to wear whatever outlet Reeboks or New Balance shoes I could find and they were alright. When I really started training (my goal was to run the Boston Marathon 2014), I went to our local running shoe store and they picked the model of shoes I wear to this day. Brooks Dyads. I never would have picked them out on my own, but they have served me well through two Boston marathons, 10+ halfs and countless 5K/10Ks. The other good thing about going to a running shoe store is that the people that work there really know their stuff and can give you tips, advice, training regimens, etc. And they usually are hubs of community running programs.

I've tried different brands and models because the Dyads look so fuddy-duddy (they are designed so that someone can put orthotic insoles in them, although I don't) and none of them have given me the same performance so I keep going back to them! One other good thing about a running shoe store is that they usually will take the shoes back even if you've been running in them. I had the Asics Kayanos and at first they were fine, but I started to develop real knee pain after about two weeks so they took them back. I realized I wasn't striding in them the same way I was in the Dyads which led to the pain. I also tried the Hokas and they didn't work for me either so our store took them back.

Others have written in support of these shoes which shows that the shoes that work for some don't work for others, just like I wouldn't recommend getting a pair of Dyads without getting evaluated either. The great thing about running shoes is that they really aren't that expensive for their performance. And there's not a ton of gear you need to get out to run.

Agree that starting at a running store is your best bet. Try to find the biggest one in your area, so it will have the greatest selection. Outside of select cities with massive running communities, it may be hard to find a store that has a super-broad selection. (For example, outside of areas with huge running populations, I bet it might be hard to find stores that stock Altras (which I've seen one or two suggestions for). And even if stores carry particular brands, very few stores can carry every shoe that every brand puts out.) Maybe you won't need a super-broad selection since you're new. But for me, I'm five years into running and I've exhausted the options at my local stores in my quest to find my "perfect" shoe! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter