• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

In need of new running shoes. Any suggestions?

If you're not able to go get fitted right now, here's an online tool that asks you some questions and gives recommendations: https://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/product/shoe-dog.jsp

Personally, I've run in the Saucony Guide, the New Balance 880, New Balance Zante, Brooks Levitate, and Nike Pegasus.
I think my favorite were an older version of the 880s (the last version I tried, the 880v8, didn't seem to agree with my feet, but I do want to try the new version because they changed the cushioning) and the Levitate. Both were fairly responsive (meaning I felt a little push back from them) and had enough cushioning to support my joints (which have had all sorts of issues). I like the Zantes a lot because they're the most responsive shoe I've ever worn, but they don't have enough cushion to support me at longer distances, so I don't wear them for anything longer than 5 miles.
I've also tried the Brooks Launch for a few runs and I liked the responsiveness, but similar to the Zante, I can't wear them for longer distances. I know a lot of people do wear them for distance, though, so if you're looking for a more affordable (like $100, which is cheap for running shoes) responsive shoe, I'd recommend trying the Launch.

The Guides weren't great for me because they provided more stability than I needed, but my sister loves them and really enjoys the cushion in the shoe.

Like you said, it's all subjective, but I hope you can get some good suggestions for shoes to try out!
Thank you for the link and recommendations. @SarahDisney !

Oh thank you so much everyone for your input. Everyone has given me a lot to think on. Even not being able to say “These are the best” you all have given me a lot more info I than ever had 🥰 I so appreciate it. RunDisney is one of my favorite boards because everyone is so amazing. Big hugs to everyone!

I have seen Altras discussed in a couple earlier posts, so I just want to point out another running shoe distinction: Altras are part of a group of shoes called “zero drop.” There are also other brands of zero-drop shoes. With zero-drop shoes, the heal and toes are equidistant off the ground versus most shoes where the heel is further off the ground than the toes. For some runners, this works very good as the theory is that it mimics a more natural position/mechanics (similar to the mechanics of walking/running in your bare feet); however, for others, they can get calf injuries when running in zero-drop shoes. I think we are so used to wearing shoes where the heal is higher off the ground that when switching to zero-drop, it puts extra strain on the calf muscles. Many folks recommend that runners should ease into zero-drop shoes by running for very short periods of time at first and work your way up.

Bottom line: I would be wary of immediately jumping into a zero-drop shoe.

I have seen Altras discussed in a couple earlier posts, so I just want to point out another running shoe distinction: Altras are part of a group of shoes called “zero drop.” There are also other brands of zero-drop shoes. With zero-drop shoes, the heal and toes are equidistant off the ground versus most shoes where the heel is further off the ground than the toes. For some runners, this works very good as the theory is that it mimics a more natural position/mechanics (similar to the mechanics of walking/running in your bare feet); however, for others, they can get calf injuries when running in zero-drop shoes. I think we are so used to wearing shoes where the heal is higher off the ground that when switching to zero-drop, it puts extra strain on the calf muscles. Many folks recommend that runners should ease into zero-drop shoes by running for very short periods of time at first and work your way up.

Bottom line: I would be wary of immediately jumping into a zero-drop shoe.
Thank you for the info! I am realizing I should have asked for tips when I look for a new pair of shoes instead of asking about specific shoe recommendations 😊

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter