In parks- paying with a Disney Gift Card in the era of contactless payments.

Well, I added the numbers on my gift card manually and the app accepted them and didn't force close on me so I guess that is what I will be doing when I get there! If anyone has any suggestions for me, please feel free to share. I would be happy to try them.!!! Pixie dust to all!!!

yep, that is exactly what I did... I would have cancelled the transaction instead of hit pay after I entered all the info needed. What it did was force close the whole MDE app. I'm thinking I will have to enter it manually (when I need to - when I'm at the park) Then copy for the next order which will happen soon (I think... knowing me)..

where/how did you store your numbers in your ph so that you could copy and paste them in the app? Maybe Notepad is not the app to use for that. I don't know... just guessing here.

iPhone just has a notes app. I use it ALL THE TIME. Hah. Every work trip I have all the pertinent info, including phone numbers that I just have to touch to call.

What did it do when you tried to paste? On mine it was the same as always. Select the card number, copy, then when I was in the app on the mobile order payment page, touch the space, and choose paste. The number loaded just fine. No idea why it wouldn’t for yours, sorry.

iPhone just has a notes app. I use it ALL THE TIME. Hah. Every work trip I have all the pertinent info, including phone numbers that I just have to touch to call.

What did it do when you tried to paste? On mine it was the same as always. Select the card number, copy, then when I was in the app on the mobile order payment page, touch the space, and choose paste. The number loaded just fine. No idea why it wouldn’t for yours, sorry.
a small mushroom shaped cloud... lol no, it asked for a REAL GC number.. wouldn't load/paste the numbers, then it just force closed the MDE app. I will just enter the numbers when I need them... or strengthen my mental powers to remember a 16 digit number on the fly while trying to order food while starving...

yep, that is exactly what I did... I would have cancelled the transaction instead of hit pay after I entered all the info needed. What it did was force close the whole MDE app. I'm thinking I will have to enter it manually (when I need to - when I'm at the park) Then copy for the next order which will happen soon (I think... knowing me)..

where/how did you store your numbers in your ph so that you could copy and paste them in the app? Maybe Notepad is not the app to use for that. I don't know... just guessing here.
I couldn’t get it to work last week either. I saved the number, and copied and pasted, but when I hit Save in mobile order, it said the number was invalid. I just kept the gift card in the ID pocket of my wallet, with the number facing out, and entered it each time. It seemed odd to me that you are clicking Save, but it’s only saving it for the current purchase. It wasn’t a big deal to enter the number each time. I have one of those little card wallets I carry at Disney with my ID, health ins card, AP card for discounts, and now the gift card.

I couldn’t get it to work last week either. I saved the number, and copied and pasted, but when I hit Save in mobile order, it said the number was invalid. I just kept the gift card in the ID pocket of my wallet, with the number facing out, and entered it each time. It seemed odd to me that you are clicking Save, but it’s only saving it for the current purchase. It wasn’t a big deal to enter the number each time. I have one of those little card wallets I carry at Disney with my ID, health ins card, AP card for discounts, and now the gift card.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm curious, what type of phone do you have?

I agree that I wish the system would save the info in the account, but at least with my iPhone, the copy/paste method from a note works.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm curious, what type of phone do you have?

I agree that I wish the system would save the info in the account, but at least with my iPhone, the copy/paste method from a note works.

I have an iPhone also. It’s possible that I didn’t save the number in the appropriate format or something, but the digits were correct.

I decided to write out my GC number on a tiny piece of paper and tape to the inside of my wallet phone case... it's right there and handy.
As we all know, Disney's IT department is truly magical! now you see it, now you don't.... lol

You can add a GC at checkout when mobile ordering and if the stars align correctly, the GC will be charged instead of the CC on file.

How does it know to use the GC and not the CC? When you hit purchase does it ask you which to use?

How does it know to use the GC and not the CC? When you hit purchase does it ask you which to use?
The default payment should be the GC first and then any amount above the balance on the GC goes on the CC...if the stars align correctly.

You choose which one you want to use. The default will be the CC you have on file, but you can choose to "add a giftcard". If you do that, the giftcard will be used, with the CC used for any remainder if there are not enough funds on the giftcard.

The giftcard entered does NOT stay in the app, and has to be "added" and re-entered each time you want to use it.

Steve

I’m definitely going to try prepaying my account trick. I’ll keep going until I get the one that knows how to do it.

I’m definitely going to try prepaying my account trick. I’ll keep going until I get the one that knows how to do it.

Good luck! Most times I just give up.

I'll be trying again in a week and a half at Yacht Club. I'll report back!

Good luck. I hope you're able to do it.

I've tried many times over the years, to no avail. I've spoken with two resort General Managers (BC & CSR) about it. They each said that while the computer system will allow it, it is against Disney accounting policy to do so. Most CMs don't even know that it can be done, as it's not part of the training.

So unless policy has changed in the last year or so, or you get a kind and knowledgeable CM who is willing to go against policy, don't expect a positive outcome. And be very grateful if you do!

Please report back.

Steve

Good luck. I hope you're able to do it.

I've tried many times over the years, to no avail. I've spoken with two resort General Managers (BC & CSR) about it. They each said that while the computer system will allow it, it is against Disney accounting policy to do so. Most CMs don't even know that it can be done, as it's not part of the training.

So unless policy has changed in the last year or so, or you get a kind and knowledgeable CM who is willing to go against policy, don't expect a positive outcome. And be very grateful if you do!

Please report back.

Steve

This is exactly my experience over the years.

But I'll still politely ask. With a smile on my face, which will remain even if the answer is no.

This is exactly my experience over the years.

But I'll still politely ask. With a smile on my face, which will remain even if the answer is no.

but how will they see your face behind a mask?

So are we saying that you can no longer just pull out a Disney GC and use it to pay for food at the parks (thinking counter service and coffee carts)?

Have been purchasing them for a bit now, and since we have cancelled our trip for this year, I was just going to hang on to them for next December. I can't keep up with all the changes - LOL - I still haven't figured out the Mobile ordering thingy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter