• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

In Room H2O Products Now in Large Shareable Bottles?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
aLoft hotels have soap/shampoo/conditioner dispensers in the showers. This is not a new concept.

Except guests expect A LOT from a brand such as Disney. See how many pages this thread has in only a few days.

I'm not sure many hotels compare.
Toothbrush is a stretch it's My Own bacteria , I'm not borrowing someone else's!

I'm sorry did I miss the thread where they are Not raising prices ?

Are you keeping your toothbrush in the open? If yes, housekeeping is probably spraying a lot of germs over it during regular cleaning, and I'm not even considering what would happen if they let it fell down by mistake.

Except guests expect A LOT from a brand such as Disney. See how many pages this thread has in only a few days.

I'm not sure many hotels compare.

Are you keeping your toothbrush in the open? If yes, housekeeping is probably spraying a lot of germs over it during regular cleaning, and I'm not even considering what would happen if they let it fell down by mistake.
Umm no I know better then keeping it out lol

First off at a hotel I put it back in my case on my little tray that's in in my overnight case. My family all has their own.

1. If you leave it out it can get knocked and if any of our toothbrushes hits the floor it's TRASH. We carry new spares
But one time my husband forgot his and a Very Nice Hotel gave him a new one all sealed. Cost was less then Disney's GF a night and we were only there one night during that trip.
None of us ever leave the room without putting our stuff away.

2. At Home , We have cats. That would be inviting then to chew on them. We let them air out a little then put them away it's routine for us.
3. You shouldn't leave your toothbrush anywhere near the toilet.

Do you really think this will result in less usage of product? If you have a larger container of shampoo or body wash available, I think people wouldn't be as concerned about wasting it and using more than necessary. Having an extra squirt or two whereas you may not when you're actually paying for the product, say at home, adds up. That's also not counting the amount of liquids you may not catch while pumping and ends up on the bathtub floor and not on the body.

At least with the bottles, there was some sort of, as we said in the restaurant biz, portion-control. Maybe the amounts were too small for some, but you could always ask for more and I bet folks were a bit more conservative in how much of the products they used per application.

I will say less plastic used the better environmentally, but I'd really like to see the ounce usage vs. the bottles if these become standard in the resort. I'm guessing it wouldn't be significant savings.

The toiletries are absolutely built into the price of renting the hotel room. Nobody is getting a freebie by having those replenished in their room each day.
I work for a company that sells janitorial products to hotels including those little toiletry bottles and soaps. Depending on the brand and volume purchased, the cost to the hotels can be approximately .17 - .30 for a bottle of shampoo/conditioner and lotions. With Disney being so large and advertising for H2O, I figure they are getting the best possible price for the H2O products. That being said if I assume for Disney that they pay .20 per bottle with 1 shampoo, 1 conditioner. 1 lotion and 2 bars of soap (a facial bar and body bar) That's $1.00 per room per night.
Using my stay at Wilderness Lodge as an example, my room-only rate is $279 a night (that's not rack rate. I got a room only discount). $1.00 of that rate per night is my automatic toiletries or $7.00 for my entire stay.
Even if I asked for an extra set each day for a 7 night stay that is $14 of my $1953.00 room-only grand total.
My .20 per toiletry assumption is being generous on Disney's side. I'm thinking they pay much less than that.

What's to stop someone from tampering with these? You don't think a wild teen might decide "you know what would be funny let me pour some blue or green dye or something in it?" This is just a Cheap move.

Also, what about the possible tampering? Do you really think No one will mess with them?

You're paranoid about this. I get it. I'm paranoid about a lot of things too. This is not one of them for me. Just don't use it if it bothers you. :goodvibes

You're paranoid about this. I get it. I'm paranoid about a lot of things too. This is not one of them for me. Just don't use it if it bothers you. :goodvibes
Not totally paranoid lol, more aware and grossed out. I think about these things cause I've learned to be prepared with my son.
Personally, I wouldn't use it. However, I'm Not keen that my kids could mess with this thing either. They are kids, especially my son would be likely to play with it. So , I gotta stand there and tell him not to cause well he's a kid and would touch that then his face Ewww. And if it was tampered with that's now on his face. So, then now he has a blue face. Yeah, not so ok with it now, I'd be quite ticked.

And Cause you can't just remove the whole thing or check off you don't want one cause it's Bolted to the wall of the shower.

Also , as a matter of the cheapening it bothers me. What's next? I think someone said are they gonna remove the soap and shampoo samples ? when they removal of handles.
Also, they are Finding more ways to increase cost but Cheapening all around (housekeeping is lackluster, some people reported turn down service was once in a while turning trip, increase to face a part of the pool, ect..

Last edited:

Disney's cost-cutting measures are happening across the board. If you don't like it, speak with your wallet.
Complaints on here mean zilch particularly when said complainer has 3 future trips in his/her signature.
I don't understand this:
I think someone said are they gonna remove the soap and shampoo samples ? when they removal of handles.
I am a microbiologist and I really try to rein in my germaphobe tendencies. When people don't wash after using the restroom, or change a baby on an eating or sitting surface (also followed by no hand washing), or don't cover their faces when they cough and/or sneeze (all seen plenty at WDW) I am super disgusted. But even I can't get bent out of shape over a soap dispenser.

Paper towel to turn on (dispensed using my elbow), paper towel to turn off (also with elbow), paper towel to open door. I used to be a nurse. No point in washing your hands, only to contaminate them a moment later by touching the faucet or the door.

What do you do in paper towel-less bathrooms? How about your own home?

By not using the sink in public restrooms. I use it (unless I'm somewhere like a hospital or at the pediatrician's), but I know many people who choose to carry hand sanitizer instead.

Ok, you got me there. I don't personally know anyone who does that.

I used to think I was a germaphobe before I read this thread...

Disney's cost-cutting measures are happening across the board. If you don't like it, speak with your wallet.
Complaints on here mean zilch particularly when said complainer has 3 future trips in his/her signature.
I don't understand this:
I am a microbiologist and I really try to rein in my germaphobe tendencies. When people don't wash after using the restroom, or change a baby on an eating or sitting surface (also followed by no hand washing), or don't cover their faces when they cough and/or sneeze (all seen plenty at WDW) I am super disgusted. But even I can't get bent out of shape over a soap dispenser.
Sorry , I should've clairified. I think someone commented when they removed the handles from the refill DDP cups that "what's next? Are they then going to stop giving the little shampoo and soaps?" My oven timer went off while I was typing and I had hit submit before checking what I typed.

By not using the sink in public restrooms. I use it (unless I'm somewhere like a hospital or at the pediatrician's), but I know many people who choose to carry hand sanitizer instead.

You need to wash your hands with soap and hot water after you use the washroom. Technically for two minutes.

We actually have hand towels to dry our hands that I wash regularly. If anybody has been or around anyone sick we open the paper towels. And in our own home that's Our Family. I don't invite people for the mall to use our bathroom or shower. See the difference?

We have a pack travel paper towels or with disposeable wipes in a pinch (we have Lots of those cause We have babies)

Use my own Kleenex. At home I have disposable guest towels in the extra baths. In my washroom, I use my own towel, in the kitchen--paper towels. Not worried about touching doorknobs in my own home.

I never use air dryers.

You say wow, but perhaps you don't live with someone who is immune compromised. Both my husband and son have serious asthma. A cold is a major event in our house. Taking precautions to avoid illness is second nature. We simply practise good hand hygiene. These dispensers are an impediment to that. I'll deal with it simply by bringing my own. They are gross though.

I'm not so much comfortable with people using only hand sanitizers. They do remove the germs, but not the dirt. Plus, to be effective, you have to scrub your hands at the very least 30+ seconds. Nobody I know do that. (And when told, they look very confused, even when directed to the fine print that clearly states this.)

As far as I concerned, I may do the 1+1 cleaning when I am in a public place: I use the soap, paper towels if any (or I shake my hands in the air, does not take that long to dry) then I use hand sanitizer to remove all the germs. This may sound a little over-zealous but I'm sure my hands are both clean AND bacteria-free.

You say wow, but perhaps you don't live with someone who is immune compromised. Both my husband and son have serious asthma. A cold is a major event in our house. Taking precautions to avoid illness is second nature. We simply practise good hand hygiene. These dispensers are an impediment to that. I'll deal with it simply by bringing my own. They are gross though.
THANK YOU!!!! We do the same for immune compromised as well!
My father is now a kidney transplant patient. Him getting sick means he HAS to go to the hospital!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter