• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

In Search of my Body...Not The One I Ate.. #4 "Inspiring Others... 1 Tiara at a Time"

Good Morning everyone...

OK - it is a new day and a new week... Time to leave the holiday feasting behind us (I ate my last Christmas cookie last night and am either giving away or throwing away whatever is left in the house today) and get ourselves ramped up for the new week, the new year and the dawn of the new you....

So - think about it... what will your goal be for 2009...

for me, my long term goals are to lose at least another 40 pounds (did I just say another... sometimes I forget that I lost the first 40...) and to bike in that MS fundraising event in July.

So, that leads me to my short term goals for our New Year's challenge...

My short term goal is to work out at the gym twice a week (in addition to my swimming class). Need to get my butt in there and start moving. I am paying for this membership so it is time to use it right...

Who's next? What's your goal?????

Have a good one,
Paula

Morning all...we are all doing better today. And I get to leave the house, so I am sure that will do wonders for my attitude. I have to take one or two kids with me, but I will be doing a lot of post-holiday errands as well as getting ready for NYE.

Goals for 2009 - I basically have two:

(1) lose these last 12 pounds (well, it is more like 15 now);

and (2) stop being such a hot mess all the time! :rotfl2: I say that jokingly, but it really is true. Remember that at this time last year I did ZERO working out. None. Then I added like 10 hours/week into my already very full life. Well, when I decided to make working out a priority, everything else slipped a bit. Started dropping balls, missing appointments, etc. And even when I do manage to get things done on deadline, it is always at the very last second. And that is just such a crappy feeling to always be behind the 8 ball. So, basically my goal is to get my sh*t together.

So, for the short-term challenge, I am going to take off 5 pounds to get me back to my lower point. (And you all know that 5 pounds is a HUGE chunk for me. But I think since I gained pretty quickly during the last month, I should take these off pretty quickly as well.) This challenge will run from January 2 - February 1st. Maybe we will do one challenge per month? We can all decide on stuff like that. But there will be no *one* winner. Anyone who meets their goal gets a Goddess Crown in their signature (or anything else we deem as a good reward).

You still have a few days to think through short and long term goals. What do you want to do by Feb. 1st?

Ok, off for the day...thank goodness!

Good sunny Monday everyone. Now I know I have not been a great friend here but I think you challenge may be just what I need right now.

Long story short, I was going to do the Goofy challenge on the 10th of this month but all of the sudden my world kind of fell apart on me. Briefly, my DH told me I was too old to run that far. My MIL who is 67 and still a runner let me down and did not back me up this time. Needless to say, I felt a little abandoned. I stopped running. It makes me teary eyed just to say it. I have not run except for maybe a handful of times since November first. I am up 7 pounds from where I wanted to lose 5 and I sunk into a state of depression over the holidays where I did not even enjoy that. So, sign me up. I need some help. The team challenge is over on the events side and I am foundering at sea.

Long term goal-I want to find my abs again and pierce my bellybutton. Yes, I am 42 years old and by the time I am 43, I want this done. I am sure this sounds selfish to a lot of you and I apologize for that.

Short term goal-By February 1, I want to be down the same 5 pounds as you Erika. I know you can do it, I am not so sure about myself.

So, here is my plan for the next month....2 days a week to the gym, 2 days a week of yoga and 25 miles a week between running (when the days are good), XC skiing (we have skate ski trails that my FIL grooms for us just outside my door) and if all else fails, the Leslie Sansone Walk Off the Pounds 5 mile walk DVD.

So, will you all take me back and we can work through these goals together? :love: :worship:

Good sunny Monday everyone. Now I know I have not been a great friend here but I think you challenge may be just what I need right now.

Long story short, I was going to do the Goofy challenge on the 10th of this month but all of the sudden my world kind of fell apart on me. Briefly, my DH told me I was too old to run that far. My MIL who is 67 and still a runner let me down and did not back me up this time. Needless to say, I felt a little abandoned. I stopped running. It makes me teary eyed just to say it. I have not run except for maybe a handful of times since November first. I am up 7 pounds from where I wanted to lose 5 and I sunk into a state of depression over the holidays where I did not even enjoy that. So, sign me up. I need some help. The team challenge is over on the events side and I am foundering at sea.

Long term goal-I want to find my abs again and pierce my bellybutton. Yes, I am 42 years old and by the time I am 43, I want this done. I am sure this sounds selfish to a lot of you and I apologize for that.

Short term goal-By February 1, I want to be down the same 5 pounds as you Erika. I know you can do it, I am not so sure about myself.

So, here is my plan for the next month....2 days a week to the gym, 2 days a week of yoga and 25 miles a week between running (when the days are good), XC skiing (we have skate ski trails that my FIL grooms for us just outside my door) and if all else fails, the Leslie Sansone Walk Off the Pounds 5 mile walk DVD.

So, will you all take me back and we can work through these goals together? :love: :worship:

Lisa -

I have a theory... you can only call yourself old when Willard Scott wishes you a Happy Birthday on the Today show and he only does that when you turn 100, so you - my dear - are definitely not old...

You can most certainly do anything you want to... including running...

Welcome back... we missed you here...

Paula

LISA! I am SO SO glad you are here!

And I am sorry that you were floundering. And if you are too old for all of that running, then so is more than half of the Wish racing team! Oh my--40s is prime age for running, I think. Sorry that he doesn't get it. Please feel free to vent here whenever you need. We are good at venting about spouses here....:rolleyes1

And ABS! Yes, that is on my goal list for 2009 as well. Forgot about that one.

Ok, I've got you down for 5 pounds for the month of January, plus exercise plan.

WOWZA. Long post comin' up here...:laughing:

I started the day with church which was good for all of the obvious reasons. But it was my dad’s last day preaching as he accepted a new call to a church about 20 minutes south of here.

Quick question (just out of curiosity...)...will you stay at that church, or move with your dad? My father is too far away for me to travel to his church (about 1:20 min)...we still attend the church that we both grew up in, were confirmed & married in...

NANCY—I can’t believe you wrote that! That is literally what just happened to me.

It's amazing how that release can make you feel so much better :hug:

Lyz....????

I *was* going to have to say "MARCO"....but I see she has reappeared :laughing:

I think that might be the hardest part of weight loss ~ watching others munch away in front of me, while I have good for me food.

good job on skipping the mashed potatoes! :thumbsup2 I know it's difficult - especially if you love food :lovestruc but sometimes I find if I look at what's IN the food now (ie all that butter, cream, salt, sugar...etc) vs. what it was before (a potentially healthy potato) it actually grosses me out...then I don't feel so deprived. I even find it empowering to pass up the "poison" that the others are putting in their bodies!

Hey...

Who is up for a New Year's Challenge?? I know that I could use one. Think about your short term goals and I can put something together.

did you even have to ask? :confused3 ('cause you KNOW I'm not at all competetive...:rolleyes1 )

To bad the pats won though!

ARGH. Where is the "raspberry" smiley when you need it! ;)

OK - so my parents gave me a wireless router for Christmas so I am now sitting on my couch and typing this on my laptop instead of on the hardwired PC.... yeah... no more sharing the lone internet connection....

oh yeah. Wireless ROCKS. (magic, I tell you. it's all magic :wizard: )

(BTW - 20 minutes on the bike today - 4.5 miles...)

:woohoo:

Have a wicked cold this morning, i felt it coming on all weekend, so i'm not suprised, but still unhappy :sick:

Feel better Stacey :flower3:

I am just about done with Breaking Dawn. I swear to you, it has taken over my life. Trying to get thru this series. I'll be glad when I'm done.

Yeah - cause we miss you. Oh - and I *still* haven't cracked the cover of the Twilight book yet...:rolleyes1 ...:rolleyes1

So, basically my goal is to get my sh*t together.

Balance. It's all about the choices we make to find the right balance in our lives. Not an easy task.

This challenge will run from January 2 - February 1st. Maybe we will do one challenge per month? We can all decide on stuff like that. But there will be no *one* winner. Anyone who meets their goal gets a Goddess Crown in their signature (or anything else we deem as a good reward).

Sounds good to me. Now I have to come up with a realistic goal.

Good sunny Monday everyone.

Lucky you. we haven't seen the sun here in DAYS. It's getting old. Very old.:sad2: Oh - and welcome back. We've missed you. :goodvibes

I have a theory... you can only call yourself old when Willard Scott wishes you a Happy Birthday on the Today show and he only does that when you turn 100, so you - my dear - are definitely not old...

:rotfl: :rotfl: That's awesome, Paula!

K. So. I was talking to my mom just a little while ago. They moved to the shore, oh about 5 years ago? But she still comes up here to get her haircut. (We go to the same gal). Anyway...she has an appt for Wed afternoon, and the weather is not supposed to be real good. She's going to cancel. BUT. I have an idea. :idea: Why don't we TRADE appointments, because mine is next week. Perfect, right? Yeah. Until I pulled out my card and discovered that it was LAST WEEK and I missed it :headache: What a knucklehead. I hate it when I do things like that! Ah well...good ole mom...she's giving me her appt anyway and will just reschedule hers :lovestruc what a great lady.

Hope everyone is having a good day. I'll be back later with my January goal...

I'm here... no time to read or post! My parent's network doesn't like me much. Just adding this so it shows up on my phone list and I can read it later. :)

Hi all...

Picking up kids so will not be on much today and tommorow...I need their time and they need mine...

But I wanted to say...

E - loveeee the idea of each person earning a crown based on their own merrit...

Lisa - glad you are in with us and proud you realized that you need a new support system...ya can't pick your family but you can pick your friends...:lovestruc

Paula - great inspirational talk...

I think that my goals are this...

#1 Stay between 1200-1500 calories a day...I am going to try and watch calories...see how I do...the whole point sthing drives me nuts...I look back on my weight loss journey...and calories always did the best for me

#2 Those calories I will track daily...and try to get most in protein...NOT CARBS!

#3 Excersize at least 5 times a week...starting with 1 hour a day...30 minutes cardio and 30 minutes weight training... maybe change it up with some classes...

#4 - not for here - Get my Sh!t together like E - we are similar in our messes to clean up

#5 NO POP AT ALL....I truly do not like it...got in the habbit of it agai at WDW...need to break the habbit...

Okay ..that is mine...Just 5 things and it is doable...

But those 5 things will make my life better and me a better person inside and out....

Thank you all for the acceptance back. I have to say I don't have time for the AIM and other things but I will make more of an effort to check in daily.

Dawn, I know I cannot pick my family but I did pick my DH and sometimes that really bothers me. Like, what was I thinking??? I am sure we all do it.

Also, as embarrassing as it is, me not working out and all....I am a certified fitness trainer (clearly do as I do not as I say) so if anyone has questions or needs help, please, please, please ask. I am really great at giving advice, taking it well not so much. Right now my life seems to be full of my regular job and training my DD14 field hockey team who all need to be able to run 5 miles by next September. Fun, fun...teenage girls you gotta love em (what else can you do with them).

I am also working on getting better organized. Part of what happened during the falling apart portion of my life lately. I was late with mailing Christmas cards and packages, unorganized and just a total disaster. I spent Saturday reorganizing my office closet into gift central and printing out and setting up a Christmas binder so I don't have that happen again. I may actually get through this year with a clear head. So, I am with all of you needing to destress and detox.

I did read an article in Self magazine over the weekend dedicated to cleaning up eating habits in 4 weeks. If anyone is interested, I can post the things to do for week one and so on as we go. Even if you pull 1 thing out, it may help in your (or our) journey!!

I did read an article in Self magazine over the weekend dedicated to cleaning up eating habits in 4 weeks. If anyone is interested, I can post the things to do for week one and so on as we go. Even if you pull 1 thing out, it may help in your (or our) journey!!

Please post this info... please...

I'll be real good and eat my vegetables....

OK - I'll stop whining now....

Lisa - you are going to be a great help to this bunch and I hope we can be there for you...

Paula

Nancy -

If I had a nickel for every missed appointment, I would be rich... its a good thing that my stylist is understanding...

Have fun with your mom when she is in town...

Paula

Okay Paula, here are the 7 things to concentrate on this week:
1. Boost breakfast. Studies show that obese women who ate a 600 calorie breakfast shed about 40 pounds in 8 months. (Not that anyone needs to eat that big of a breakfast mind you.) Concentrate on a combo of protein, carbs and fat such as whole-grain waffle and PB or yogurt with fruit and nuts.

2. Make smart swaps. Ounce for ounce, mushrooms have fewer calories than meat but are just as filling. Also consider using carrots, broccoli and brussels sprouts. Cook with veggies instead of high-calorie animal protein.

3. Focus on real food. Many dieters start their battle of the bulge by filling their fridge wtih light versions of treats such as ice cream or muffins. Diet food leaves you unsatisfied and lures you into believing you can eat multiple services for minimal calories. Instead, eat a sane service of the real thing. Savor an ounce of dark chocolate, a cube of cheese or a scoop of ice cream.

4. Have a game plan. Thinking ahead helps you avoid those desperate moments that land you at the vending machine or have you dailing for takeout. Today, plot out your meals and snacks for the next few days. Each night, compare what youate to your plan. Applaud your successes and troubleshoot trip-ups.

5. Favor fiber. Foods rich in fiber are a key weight loss tool because they are filling. Make a list of high fiber foods you love and keep a supply of them at the ready. Work as many in as you can during the day.

6. Move more. Exercise does not only burn calories, it fuels your resolve. Working out improves you mood and bolsters self-confidence, making it easier to stick to your eating plan.

7. Stash snacks. Pack two 150-calorie snacks a day so its easier to reach for something healthy. Try string cheese and an apple or 1/2 cup berries wtih 2 tbsp almonds and 1 tsp honey.

I hope these tips help this week. I will post week 2 on Monday of next week if you find these helpful.

I am done work for the day and shutting the computer down but I will be back bright and early tomorrow morning!! Have a great rest of the day everyone!!

Oh, I just loved getting on here and reading all the posts!

Lisa, welcome back. Stacy, you, too. Back to stay, right? :thumbsup2

Thank you thank you thank you for your very kind words and support. I love that you all get it. So, update. Drama ahead...

BIL came over last night and spent the night with me, Em, my parents and our friend. We had a really nice time. No conversation, but he looked happy and he smiled. If nothing else, it was company. Now I feel like maybe he will be taking better care of himself - he seems less likely to go home in a total funk. He had canceled on last night but just showed up and I was SO glad he did that. It's his brother's house, he should be able to show up here anytime and he DID. Spirits higher, seems like maybe he got some thinking in and it did him some good.

So, I mentioned friend but not friends...well, my friend who found out she was pregnant, Jodi, had major bleeding and cramping yesterday. She spent the day on the couch, and later, for dinner, she sent her husband over with food. He and I talked a lot, which was good. He was so concerned about her. I kept telling him to just wait, go to the doctor today, and then deal as need be. So here's the deal. Ready?

She's still pregnant. There is a viable baby with a heartbeat. And an empty sac above the baby. So, there were twins and she miscarried one. It's still very risky because the sac is above, not below the viable baby. But, a miracle. Seriously. The JOY in her voice almost made me sob today, as she told me, on the way to get some blood tests.

So, please please, keep your fingers crossed for her. This means so much to her. It does to all of us, right, but the timing and her age and how long she's waited - I just want this to work out for her.

Today Emily suggested we spend the day on our pj's, so I am cleaning my house, throwing away the treats, and putting my life back together for me. So it's all good self-care stuff, as you all told me to do! And I am doing a fast, something I try to do once in a blue moon, to put myself back on track and get rid of all the alcohol, sugar, etc. It's for one day, but maybe I will be able to do two. We'll see. Then I will go off it by eating fruits and veggies, holding off on the sugar and meats as long as possible. So wish me luck!

Goals: I have decided to give up shots for 2009, and Nick is going to do it with me. No shots. It's better for my body.

Short term...hmm. Okay, here goes.

Exercise: Four times per week., gym or home.
Food: Tracking for the entire period of the challenge
Weight: 159 by the end of the challenge.

And long term, hit and maintain goal weight. Exercise 4 times per week. Get a new job. Refrain from doing shots for another year.

There you go! :)

Also, thank you all again. For getting it, and knowing why it is all so important to me. xoxo.

Hopefullly this thread is ok for others to join.....I will post shortly when my crazy family holiday wedding weekend ends soon....

My, goals for 2009.

All Year Long.
1. To actually lose weight this year! Since I didn't really "click" until July.
2. To work out 4 days a week. (like that one Liz. totally doable)
3. Eat thoughtfully. Not deprivation, but something I can live with.

January
4. Lose 5+ lbs in January.

Oh and another thing. My sister in law (we married brothers) and I decided yesterday to have a weight loss competition. Trying for alittle incentive closer to home. SO I TOTALLY HAVE TO WIN. We are going to iron out the details Thursday.

I like the idea of getting organized, but, I have to get "me" together first.

Right now my life seems to be full of my regular job and training my DD14 field hockey team who all need to be able to run 5 miles by next September. Fun, fun...teenage girls you gotta love em (what else can you do with them).

Funny. My DD(who is 13) has been telling me, pretty much every day for a month now...that we *need* to go to Disney. (well, duh. It *has* been since April, after all :laughing: ) annnyyywayyy...

I said "well, you know what I do to get extra trips to Disney."

She rolled her eyes, and said "yeah. But I'm not YOU. I'm NOT running a marathon".

So I told her "guess you don't want to go THAT badly then do you" :laughing:

honestly. She's 13. I would never expect her to run a marathon. Or even a 1/2. BUT....if she committed to a 5K.....we'd talk. :goodvibes

I was late with mailing Christmas cards

how late? Mine are still in their un-opened packages. :confused3

If I had a nickel for every missed appointment, I would be rich... its a good thing that my stylist is understanding...

I really hate to miss hair appointments - for 2 reasons - first, she is always so booked it's hard to get in quickly..and 2nd...it's her business, ya know? She owns the salon, pays the bills, etc. Somehow...I just don't feel quite so badly for the dentist :rolleyes:

3. Focus on real food. Many dieters start their battle of the bulge by filling their fridge wtih light versions of treats such as ice cream or muffins. Diet food leaves you unsatisfied and lures you into believing you can eat multiple services for minimal calories.

That is SO true. Some people will tell you that at the end of the day, all that matters is calories expended must be more than calories taken in, no matter what kinds of food those calories come from. BUT - I am a firm believer in "all calories are NOT created equal". 1500 calories (or whatever your daily intake goal is) of good, healthy, nutritious whole foods is going to leave you not only more satisfied, but with more energy and better overall health than the same number of "crap" calories.

My motto is, if I can't read a nutrition label and understand and properly pronounce all the ingredients? I'm not putting it into my body.

BIL came over last night and spent the night with me, Em, my parents and our friend. We had a really nice time. No conversation, but he looked happy and he smiled.

Progress. That's a good thing :thumbsup2

So, I mentioned friend but not friends...well, my friend who found out she was pregnant, Jodi, had major bleeding and cramping yesterday. She spent the day on the couch, and later, for dinner, she sent her husband over with food. He and I talked a lot, which was good. He was so concerned about her. I kept telling him to just wait, go to the doctor today, and then deal as need be. So here's the deal. Ready?

She's still pregnant. There is a viable baby with a heartbeat. And an empty sac above the baby. So, there were twins and she miscarried one. It's still very risky because the sac is above, not below the viable baby. But, a miracle. Seriously. The JOY in her voice almost made me sob today, as she told me, on the way to get some blood tests.

Liz- that is exciting and nerve wracking at the same time :hug: Of course - I'll keep positive thoughts for them, and prayers that their little miracle continues to grow strong and healthy!! :goodvibes

Still working thru the details of my goals - short, mid and long term...

Thank you all for the acceptance back. I have to say I don't have time for the AIM and other things but I will make more of an effort to check in daily.
I don't usually get on Aim etc...so don't feel that is neccesary to be a member here...:lovestruc
Dawn, I know I cannot pick my family but I did pick my DH and sometimes that really bothers me. Like, what was I thinking??? I am sure we all do it.
I get that piece...maybe there is a part of him that is jealous of what you have together at your age...and he doesn't...don't know you or him...but usually statements like that come from a snarky place inside that we feel about ourselves...

Regardless....I am glad you are here...and flattered to have such a guru amongst us...you will love how we will eat you alive for info...:lmao:

I am also working on getting better organized. Part of what happened during the falling apart portion of my life lately. I was late with mailing Christmas cards and packages, unorganized and just a total disaster. I spent Saturday reorganizing my office closet into gift central and printing out and setting up a Christmas binder so I don't have that happen again. I may actually get through this year with a clear head. So, I am with all of you needing to destress and detox.
Dan and I did that to my offic ethis weekend..you can actually see files not piles!
Printed it out too!
BIL came over last night and spent the night with me, Em, my parents and our friend. We had a really nice time. No conversation, but he looked happy and he smiled. If nothing else, it was company. Now I feel like maybe he will be taking better care of himself - he seems less likely to go home in a total funk. He had canceled on last night but just showed up and I was SO glad he did that. It's his brother's house, he should be able to show up here anytime and he DID. Spirits higher, seems like maybe he got some thinking in and it did him some good.
Glad he is smiling again and you can ease your worries a little about him...

So, please please, keep your fingers crossed for her. This means so much to her. It does to all of us, right, but the timing and her age and how long she's waited - I just want this to work out for her.
I had a friend who went through the same thing...the docs tried to give her a D&C but she just felt there was another baby...and she forced an ultasound...and she was right...this was in 1991 and I know things have changed...but she felt just sick thinking what could have happened...her son was born healthy and beautiful 8 months later...and his twin's sac was above too...bedrest the whole pregnancy...but sooo worth the joy of having that baby...

Does she need anything Liz? Let us know...I was thinking later maybe a cleaning maid or food gift certificates...something I would love to do for her...that she might not be able to do on her own...

Goals: I have decided to give up shots for 2009, and Nick is going to do it with me. No shots. It's better for my body.
I first was thinking medical shots...that tells you right there the difference of my year versus yours! I would trade ya!:rotfl2:
Also, thank you all again. For getting it, and knowing why it is all so important to me. xoxo.
Anytime Liz...anytime...
Hopefullly this thread is ok for others to join.....I will post shortly when my crazy family holiday wedding weekend ends soon....
Ohhhhh... want details....
My, goals for 2009.

All Year Long.
1. To actually lose weight this year! Since I didn't really "click" until July.
2. To work out 4 days a week. (like that one Liz. totally doable)
3. Eat thoughtfully. Not deprivation, but something I can live with.

January
4. Lose 5+ lbs in January.

Oh and another thing. My sister in law (we married brothers) and I decided yesterday to have a weight loss competition. Trying for alittle incentive closer to home. SO I TOTALLY HAVE TO WIN. We are going to iron out the details Thursday.

I like the idea of getting organized, but, I have to get "me" together first.

Lyz - sound doable and completely like yu are on pace for success..starting with yourself is a great plan...take care of you...:hug:

Just made 2 appointments for Carsyn...she will have bladder surgery in January...placing an interstem device into her body to start regulating her urine output...works like a pace maker fo rthe heart..

She also will start seeing an ear nose throat specialist in Jan too...she broke her nose as a toddler...and they think she will need surgery...she snores unbelievable...sitting up...on her side...on her back...stomach...doesn't matter...

The poor thing is up all night from having bathroom trips and form her snoring...I think she will be a new woman when all this is fixed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter