In Your Opinion what is the best guide book for DL?

binny

do something that MATTERS!
Hi all, its me again :)

Well the scavenger hunt was a hit but the ending was rather anticlimactic :(

They had had such a full day with Christmas and Nana being here... anyway it was OK I suppose.

So I want to get my mom a guide book. I'm a TA so I have access to all the info but I want to send her something so she can get excited too.

What do you think is the best guide book?

PassPorter is supposed to be releasing a DL version VERY soon. I'd keep my eye out for that one. If it's anywhere near as good as the WDW one, watch out!

I was unimpressed by the Unofficial Guide to DL, which surprised me. It was the best I could find, but if you compare the DL guide to the WDW guide. . . well, it's pretty anemic. I don't buy the "there are two parks versus four parks" thing. I found the basics lacking in the UG. And I usually LOVE anything the folks at UG write! :confused3

That said, right now I think the UG is the best out there until the PassPorter arrives. When is your trip again? I can't remember. . . If you have time, I'd wait for the PassPorter. http://www.passporter.com

Just my two cents. . . Happy planning!

we go in March this year :)

Thanks for the input I will check out the passporter site, that was invaluable when we did WDW!

I second "The Unofficial Guide." It's the best guidebook, hands down. But since you've got all the promo materials, make sure she watches the Disneyland planning video, too. Nothing like that to get you excited about an upcoming trip!!!!!! :goodvibes

I wouldn't count on Passporter releasing their DL edition any time soon. The authors have way over extended themselves and the DL version was promised BEFORE the 50th celebration even started. There was mention of an e-book version of the DL guide to tide people over until they could finish the print copy, but that was a few months ago and still nothing.

I second the Passporter! :cheer2: If the DL one comes out in time be sure to get it. My family had so much fun with the WDW Passporter! :rotfl2:

Interestingly, we had some DL newbies with us on our November trip and I had brought both the Unofficial Guide and the Birnbaum Guide for them. Every last one of them preferred the Birnbaum Guide - a lot! (I find the Unofficial Guide more informative but I have been to DL lots of times!). :earsgirl:

Another Vote for the Unofficial Guide - it is the most useful guidebook.

BUT - it's not the best guidebook for getting some excited about Disneyland. It has no pictures and is sometimes quite criticial - it is not a promotion for the park, but a very useful guide for those already going.

So, I'd get her instead somehting that just had glossy pics and was very positive.

The Birnbaum Guide to Disneyland is the "official" guide and it is quite glossy and full of pictures....might be the one to get someone excited...

I agree that the Birnbaum guide is the most fun to look at, I get one whenever I am planning a Disney trip. However, the information continues to be quite outdated (ie. they are still listing Star Tours as having fastpass even though that has not been true for I think at least a year and Buzz as not having fastpass, etc. in the brand new edition that just came out). There are so many obvious errors that I think they don't even go there every year anymore to check things out for themselves before they put out a new version. But it is fun for someone who has never been there or who hasn't been for a long time.

I bought the Unofficial Guide and while it has lots of useful information, I was still a bit disappointed with it. It uses many of the same quotes and descriptions printed in the Unofficial Guide to WDW. It even has a drawing of a family waiting for Disneyland's Fantasmic along the banks of what is clearly Epcot's World Showcase Lagoon!

I am another owner of the UG. Now, I've never read the UG to WDW (I use other planning tools for trips there), so I can't compare the two. I can say, though, that the UG for DLR does have a lot of useful information, such as which rides get the busiest early on, which offer FPs, etc. However, I don't buy into their touring plans. I found myself reading through them and then mentally tweaking them to optimize use of FPs (which I don't see that they do at all).

So I'm glad I have the UG, but it's not the DLR "Bible" for me. I also have a subscription to Ridemax, and I've played with it some, but the last time I checked, my dates weren't in there yet, so I'll have more of an opinion on that one later on. :flower:

Frankly, I don't like the Unoffical Guide for either park. I am planning at trip to DL, and am havign a difficult time finding anything! I went home for the holidays and did find a book (not previously mentioned & I forget the name) and have read some & it is good (it covers other places around LA & San Diego too).

I would get the Passporter one in a heartbeat. Amazon has it listed as coming out in March, but I have heard nothing definate on the Passporter message boards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter